Work related expenses (wtf content)

Home Forum Chat Forum Work related expenses (wtf content)

Viewing 45 posts - 181 through 225 (of 279 total)
  • Work related expenses (wtf content)
  • Frankers

My company offers the following for outside staff

5-10 Hours = £5
    Over 10 Hours = £10
    Also if you have to buy an evening meal extra £15
    If out very early you can also claim £5 for breakfast

These amounts have all be agreed with the taxman and are typical for permanent outside staff

b r

If you could have your lunch written into a legally binding contract, but it has to be the same thing every day, what would you have?[/]

Nandos

nealglover

Nandos is certainly the same whatever you order, so a good choice really.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

If you could have your lunch written into a legally binding contract, but it has to be the same thing every day, what would you have?

I am going to remember this for next time I change jobs. 😀

It’s going to be quite a complex contract…

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

119 posts since it was first said, and no-one has pointed out….

It’s fickin’ SUBSISTENCE allowance, not sustenance!

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

It’s fickin’ SUBSISTENCE allowance, not sustenance!

So you’re saying the Molgrips should be growing his own lunch? I’m not sure about that, sure, if you have an allotment or a large garden that might be feasible, but in this case?

TheBrick

Travelling for work is a hassle and all meals should be covered IMO. Minor payment for the hassle of being away.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

How the hell did mol grips first world problem of making his own lunch or refusing to come down from the dizzy heights of pret a manger get to 6 pages?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

In Nandos now, actually. I love the fact that whilst you can easily blow through the expense limit in a hotel restaurant, you can go nuts in a normal takeaway and still come in well under.

My contractual lunch would be a burrito from Tortilla with the chicken, no rice, extra beans, cheese, hot salsa, jalapenos and lime. Fab

clubber

How the hell did mol grips first world problem of
    making his own lunch or refusing to come down
    from the dizzy heights of pret a manger get to 6
    pages?

Are you sure you’re not new here? 🙂

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Well yes I am, but this takes the biscuit of stw-ism. Still, he’s happy now with his Nandos and bottomless soft drink. I hope he’s eaten enough so he won’t need lunch tomorrow…..

brakes

I would have it written into my contract that molgrips had to pay for his own food, and that food would be sandwiches. real sandwiches. made of sand. and witches.

wiggles

I’ve been paying to eat for years… Obviously in the wrong job!

Reminds me of a woman in work trying to claim an extra 100 miles expenses because she had to drop off her dog at her sisters house on the way to a training course…

The first world problems of people with a ridiculous sense of entitlement is always worth a laugh

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It’s not a **** sense of entitlement!

It’s the weird and unexplained discrepancy.

The real problem on these threads isn’t me, it’s you thick bastards completely misunderstanding.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

At the risk of sounding repetitive … Have you considered Gregg’s Molls? You can get a five pack of sausage rolls that may leave you in a position where you can probably still pay the mortgage.failing that…. Have you thought of getting Bob Crowe to negotiate this deal for you. Tube drivers only work 45 minutes a day you know? Then go for lunch at Claridges

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Bob Crowe sounds good. Or I could just fraudulently claim because no-one checks.

b r

Having racked up over 150 nights in hotels just in one year on more than one occasion the cost of been away isn’t a joke. And if you’ve also lots of travel too, it can get very expensive – especially if you’ve a restrictive expense policy.

And if you’ve a family you don’t really save anything by not been at home and if you don’t want to spend the entire night sat in your room, it’s going to cost.

I always use to reckon that companies/HMRC needed two different expense policies, one for folk that might have had a couple of nights a year and one for folk who spent their life on the road.

nealglover

The real problem on these threads isn’t me, it’s you thick bastards completely misunderstanding.

I must have misunderstood when you suggested you were going to be out of pocket when it later turned out that you hadn’t the faintest idea wether you were or not.

Probably my fault for reading what you posted and presuming you had thought it through though 😉

brakes

It’s the weird and unexplained discrepancy

you pay for your own lunch at work during working hours when you’re not traveling, why should they pay for your lunch during your working hours when you are traveling?
    that’s what my employers says, and it makes sense to me.

Our ‘team’ (of two) has to source our own training as our role is a little random – and we got a bit of a frosty response when the training we found took most of our office’s budget . . . . Felt a little bad but am now keeping my head down as the train tickets to get there have come in at £550!!!

I will be getting two nights in Brighton though, so im sure I’ll cope 😀

Molgrips is misunderstood. Who’d have thought!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

you pay for your own lunch at work during working hours when you’re not traveling, why should they pay for your lunch during your working hours when you are traveling?

Cos it costs about 80p at home and £3 or more for something when I’m out.

Just take a packed lunch then?

nealglover

So it’s £10 odd “lost” then (ish)

And you’ve saved on buying five days Breakfast and Dinner.

And you think you are “out of pocket” somehow ?

I wonder why sometimes people think your threads are a bit….. Pointless ?

tazzymtb

I’m amazed that mol actually manages to cope in the real world at all. The list of minor things that send him into full “woe is me” introspective guff is awesome. Its like adrian mole grew up (well got older) and got a mountain bike 😀

irelanst

IMO I don’t think there is a discrepancy in your companies policy.

To justify lunch as an expense it would have to be necessary due to being located away from your normal workplace to pay in excess of what is considered ‘normal’. It is perfectly reasonable for them to assume that if a temporary workplace has a canteen then you would use it and therefore the amount you would pay is a ‘normal’ amount*, if you chose not to then that is entirely your choice and not a result of the travel. If the temporary workplace does not have a canteen then you have no choice but to buy lunch elsewhere which is likely to be more expensive, and in these circumstances they have agreed to reimburse you.

The fact that you make a sandwich on a normal day is neither here nor there; you still have that option available.

* I’ve had this discussion during a HMRC audit when contracting at a company that had a works canteen. I didn’t use it and bought sandwiches which I claimed for and apparently wasn’t entitled to.

iolo

He just needs a woman. He’ll be fine then.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

full “woe is me” introspective guff

Eh?

nealglover

Are you happy yet that you are not being left out of pocket by the overall situation?

Or have you suddenly worked out that five days Breakfasts and Dinners at home cost you less than £10.

Edric 64

So it’s £10 odd “lost” then (ish)

But if you are out for 5 days and work pay for your other meals you are actually getting 15 meals for £15 if you buy your own lunch .Compare that with the how much do you spend on shopping thread and you are quids in compared with most people !!

nealglover

Compare that with the how much do you spend on shopping thread and you are quids in compared with most people !!

He would.

but despite appearing to be bothered about the money, he’s got no idea how much he spends on food at home. :mrgreen:

boblo

Not sure calling everyone thick bastards is going to get the best response….

These threads take a familiar path:

Molly asks partial question
    Several people respond
    Molly argues the toss revealing a little more (maybe)
    Several people respond
    Repeat to fade…

aP

One thing I’ve made my mind up about from some of these types of threads is that I’m quite relieved that:
    a) I don’t employ some people here
    b) I don’t work with some people here
    c) I don’t work for some people here
    I reckon Samuri would be quite good to work for, except I have no idea what he does and I suspect that my skills aren’t transferable.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I’m just waiting for the OP to reveal that he’s based his whole argument on something a colleague told him rather than the actual rules.

We can then see him wielding his sword of justice/righteous indignation and attempts to retrieve 2 years worth of lunch money across 15 threads during the next 6 months until even he loses the will to live and gives it up as a bad lot.

Find out the actual rules? Molgrips is too busy flexing his muscles.

uluru

You get an extra dimension to molgrips threads when you see what his wife posts on mumsnet 🙂

HTF did this go to over 200 posts?

I think the bloke is quite right to be pissed off. If your company sends you away from home they should cover all of your reasonable living expenses.

I can only think that the people who don’t see this never travel for work at all.

I have had jobs where I lived on the road, and I agree that your costs should be covered. The problem is that we haven’t even begun to establish the facts i.e. Molgrips may be able to claim most of his lunches, but just has to suck it up the odd week he is in the London office.

The other thing is, expenses aren’t free money to the company. So if they have done the sums, and they aren’t willing to spend extra money where they are running a staff canteen, so be it. Their money, their rules.

Needs a woman? Not sure that would work if he makes this fuss over lunch imagine how he’d reactnto spending money on something really important – like shoes 😀

I know this is based in Shandyshire but could this be solved by having
    breakfast dinner and then tea

rather than

breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I know this is based in Shandyshire

We focus on the important things down south, dontchaknow.

Phew, that’s a relief, people power!

nealglover

If your company sends you away from home they should cover all of your reasonable living expenses.

And it would appear that’s exactly what’s happening in this case.

In fact, from the figures already mentioned by the OP. Its entirely likely that they are more than “covering his expenses” and he’s actually in profit at the end of the week.

Happy days eh ?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I may have missed this but are these London offices a client site or just the OP’s company at a different location?

Viewing 45 posts - 181 through 225 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Work related expenses (wtf content)’ is closed to new replies.