Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Words that people think are cool??… But aren't!
  • remoterob
    Free Member

The concept of +1

*asterisks used to emote* *nods head*

“Swap out” instead of swap.

#syntaxworld

Jamie
    Free Member

Nice work, Mike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like’, when used as a word all on its own at the end of a statement

LIKE 😉

Merlinman

Fixed that for you!

miner29er
    Free Member

So uncool to pronounce the letter h with an aspirate – it’s aitch FFS.

Nico
    Free Member

“Just go ride your bike”

Jamie
    Free Member

“Just go ride your bike”

Innit? As if one doing anything other than sleeping, shitting or riding ones bike is a cardinal sin.

shotsaway
    Free Member

Anybody who adds dot com to an adjective……….aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh

For example
    knackered.com
    Bored.com

It’s not cool, it’s not cleaver, it’s just effing annoying.com 😉

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Of course all your steeds need a ‘stable’.

Grrrrr.

root
    Free Member

It’s not a ‘rig’ it’s a bike.

It’s not a ‘rig’ it’s a computer.

cooie

Back in the day 👿

Saying asap

_tom_
    Free Member

People who always add the 😉 smiley on forums. It always seems really smug.

Woody
    Free Member

Buttery smooth
    railed
    nailed
    bonked (as in became tired)
    amazing/rad/awsome (when it’s actually only mildly interesting or slightly out of the ordinary)

I would go on but I need to retire to the pit and catch some zzzzzz’s

charliedontsurf

DEFENDING “RAD”….

I’ve been skateboarding since 1977, and I feel I have he right to use RAD, I’ve earnt it. It does not get used often, it’s saved for very special circumstances, and it often just falls out my mouth when no other word will do.

But casual use of RAD is wrong. You are devalueing it, undermining its strength, save it. I am also not sure about it being used out of its original territory. For example knitting can never be rad, I don’t believe you can get rad plumbing, or rad soup.

Me, burting the wheels to Distortion…. Cool, but not quite rad.

Gaye bykers on acid “rad dude”
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIeojITzyOY[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

Buttery smooth

What if I am describing something food based?

IHN

Back in the day

Is that because you’re too young to remember? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Back in the day

Is that because you’re too young to remember?

Yeah, grandad! 😉

johnellison
    Free Member

Flange
    Plinth

Have to disagree. Flange and Plinth are the King and Queen of words. And working in engineering I get to use both. Regularly. Without feeling self-concious, used or dirty.

Flange in particular is a much maligned and misunderstood word. Much like cock, thrust, ring and plunger.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ending a phrase or sentence with “do you know what I mean” or any derivative of same.

Yes, of course I know, and if I don’t I will ask you to clarify what you have just said. So please, just carry on speaking and I’ll stop you when I become confused.

Just for _tom_ 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Conversely the word Yoke is a great coverall– ( in Eire)

BadlyWiredDog

‘Bestest’ 🙄

cooie

Back in the day
    Is that because you’re too young to remember?

I wish! l’m 52 🙂

Yeah, grandad! 😉

😀

makeitorange
    Free Member

Flange in particular is a much maligned and misunderstood word. Much like cock, thrust, ring and plunger.

I just just giggled like a naughty school boy at my desk when reading that and all my colleagues are looking at me….

wwaswas

Flange and Plinth are the King and Queen of words

surely the latter is just minor royalty?

“Someday my Plinth will come”

?

cookeaa

STW forum members in moany old gits Shocka!

I saw the word “Misoginism” used on this very forum by someone who probably meant “misogyny”, you’re not all Dictionary Gods…

Of course these little “Lingual Fascism” sessions are really only intended to help old, out of touch duffers still feel a bit superior as they slide into the inevitable, cultural irrelevance that comes with age.

My understanding is that once you are over the age of 22 you lose all rights to coolness or inventing new forms of slang, colloquialisms or vernacular, and by 40 you should be bemoaning “Young people’s” use of language… You can still use “the kid’s” language but you will be met with a confused stony glare or slight shake of the head rather than a knowing nod… This is as it should be.

As soon as you attempt to identify something as being “cool” it ceases to be “cool” and by simply attempting the definition the individual is also made “uncool” by default.

Language only evolves through “Misuse”; typically by younger generations who try to distinguish themselves from the dusty old fossils that went before with new and inventive use of language. Before you know it the word “Chav” is in the OED and your Nan is using it (probably in the wrong context)…

You can never fully understand your offspring’s use of language, once you accept this simple fact and stop railing against their relatively minor infractions of currently accepted grammatical convention you’ll probably find life far less frustrating… Just Chillax…

johnellison
    Free Member

I just just giggled like a naughty school boy at my desk when reading that and all my colleagues are looking at me…

My work here is done…

surely the latter is just minor royalty?

“Someday my Plinth will come”

?

I’ll get your coat for you… 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“At £2k this bike is an absolute bargain and just ripe for plenty of upgrades….”

Sums up a lot about MTB for me!!!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Cockpit – it’s a bike not a fighter plane .
    Boils my piss -what’s wrong with boils my blood ?
    American spellings such as tire instead of tyre .

yodagoat
    Free Member

compliant.

Northwind

I’ve been dropping “gnarwhal” (a difficult trail) and “gnarpoon” (a bike for gnarwhals) into conversation recently to see what happens. Nobody’s batted an eyelid so far.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Words that people think are cool??… But aren't!’ is closed to new replies.