Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Words that people think are cool??… But aren't!
  • Northwind

IHN – Member

Because I remember a time back in the day when we never used the word. We had other words like ‘routes’, ‘tracks’ and ‘paths’ that sufficed nicely. Then the magazine-promoted and mildt pretentious Americanism that is ‘trail’ started to rear it’s head and is now seemingly ubiquitous.

A trail is a long distance route between two points (think Appalachian Trail)

It’s not an americanism, nor is it restricted to long distance routes. It’s just you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

chapeau

IHN

It’s not an americanism, nor is it restricted to long distance routes. It’s just you.

It’s use in relation to mountain biking came from the States, but, yeah, I know I seem to be the only one who dilikes it. It just sounds a bit w@nky and, well, like I said, pretentious.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Nah, we were talking about bike trails back when there was no internet to tell us what to think and none of us could afford magazines, it was just an appropriate word we had lying around.

try5
    Free Member

“Keeping it real.”
    Haha.
    Dont mind “trail” though.
    “Its all good.”
    Hmm.
    Its good to have a bit of lingo but you run the
    Risk of sounding like a frickin drongo…

edlong
    Free Member

chapeau
    banhammer
    big hitter

luffy105
    Free Member

epic….. now there’s a word that is really annoying me at the moment.

very few epic things happen day to day.

Some muppet falling on their harris in a comical way is not epic

sparksmcguff

The word innit is totes amazeballs and in no way preposterous. After all it’s a cab-innit.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Pootle
    Technical
    Gnarly
    Energy Gel
    Turbo Trainer
    Lycra
    Biomechanics
    Bottle cage
    Bib shorts
    Power meter

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just thought of another one. I don’t think it’s really transitioned from written English to spoken English yet (thank God), but

“Keep calm and carry…”

YOU WON’T BE CALM ONCE I’VE SMASHED YOUR FACE IN YOU CRETIN

Northwind

YOLO!

BadlyWiredDog

I baulk – puke? – at the whole lisping juvenile thing: people who say ‘betterer’ and insist on calling themselves ‘runnerists’. Fine when you’re five years old, but fercrissakes, it’s the verbal equivalent of men wearing pink jerseys and leopard-skin accessories. You are trying way too hard.

And making up pretend words with ‘vélo’ added to show what a hip, cool, biking insider you are… Utter drivel. 🙂

But hey…

Spongebob
    Free Member

“Epic” when used in the context of a bike ride lasting more than a few hours.

MBR seem to spend a lot of time ‘schralping’ but I don’t have a clue what it is…

Is it that thing that dogs do on the grass when they have itchy bottoms?

Hahahah …

Jamie
    Free Member

Not a word,but people who “High 5” each other & when they try & be “down with the kids” doing those daft handshakes too…..

Awkward.

boblo
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Trail, especially when people call something a trail bike, it means nothing in mtb. To me “trails” is and always will be a bmx term for dirt jumps.

How about ‘Trail Head’ or ‘Backcountry’ when talking about Wales or the Peak or sum such. Twits.

barkit
    Free Member

lad
    vid
    spandex
    “mountain biking is like [insert cheap-ass philosophy here]” *

* often heard at the beginning of a MTB video

svalgis
    Free Member

“essence of mountain biking”

Any use of superlatives where it’s not even slightly suitable.

jota180
    Free Member

ass – it’s arse unless you’re American

boblo
    Free Member

… Or talking about a donkey/horse combo 🙂

jedi

if you rode bmx/skated in the 70/80s you earned the right to say rad all day long.

the funniest saying i heard of late is in art of flight

super appocalyptic

khani
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Remember the ‘Cool Wall’ on Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson decided which cars were cool and which weren’t. Does anyone on here genuinely think he was in any position to comment on what is cool and what isn’t? Just look at him!

Wasn’t the definition “Would Kirsten Scott Thomas accept a lift in it?”

So by that definition pretty much everything mountainbike isn’t cool even if you modify it to “would you do/say it with/to Kirsten?” !

Let’s face it, mountain biking is about as cool and edgy as golf.

We can bask in some reflected cool from BMX. But you’d probably introduce yourself to someone as an accountant rather than mountainbiker!

grum
    Free Member

Wow you’re all quite generally angry aren’t you? 🙂

I did quite enjoy seeing a snowboard that said it contained ‘shredtassium’.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow you’re all quite generally angry aren’t you?

I am absolutely furious!

grum
    Free Member

I baulk – puke? – at the whole lisping juvenile thing: people who say ‘betterer’ and insist on calling themselves ‘runnerists’. Fine when you’re five years old, but fercrissakes, it’s the verbal equivalent of men wearing pink jerseys and leopard-skin accessories. You are trying way too hard.

‘Fercrissakes’? Hmmm…..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

‘Like’, when used as a word all on its own at the end of a statement

mccett
    Free Member

‘Edit’….as in ‘Fall edit’ or ‘Winter edit’ to describe your little youtube clip

theboatman
    Free Member

‘the beast’ as in ‘Yeah, we just came down the beast’; did you, you total pricks.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Australian Question Intonation. Grrrrr.

BadlyWiredDog

‘Fercrissakes’? Hmmm…..

Yeah, it amused me using that… but then I am a wordist… 🙂 Or maybe a writerist?

Cheezpleez

I’m so angry I’m starting a campaign against all forms of written and spoken communication. Please support me by not mentioning it.

martinxyz
    Free Member

So.

Bud.

Buddy.

Pal.

Fella.

yunki
    Free Member

well.. although I endeavour to present myself as luminous and sophisticated in my use of the English language, the unfortunate truth is that in person, my speech is little more than all of the words that have been collected here for derision, cunningly rearranged to approximate a semblance of communication..

Oh for the eloquent and loquacious verbosity that I have been judged to lack by this company.. 😐

mikehopkins
    Free Member

depends who it’s coming from.
    saying these in conversation (speaking not text) annoy me a bit though;
    Lol
    Rad
    Bud’
    Totally
    Munter
    So he was like…and she was like
    No way

duntstick
    Free Member

3 decades ago….etc, journalists stop it. What’s wrong with 30 years.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

agree with loads of the above. No one’s mentioned “MTFU!”… an STW classic phrase 😀

nicko74

650b, if we’re talking bikes.

wwaswas

mikehopkins wins by throwing out the forum page format with his list 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    well.. although I endeavour to present myself as luminous and sophisticated in my use of the English language, the unfortunate truth is that in person, my speech is little more than all of the words that have been collected here for derision, cunningly rearranged to approximate a semblance of communication..

Oh for the eloquent and loquacious verbosity that I have been judged to lack by this company..

my thoughts exactly 😉 or should that be 😕

r17anm
    Free Member

+1 for responding with REALLY ? In an american style
    And the word plush

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Words that people think are cool??… But aren't!’ is closed to new replies.