Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Wonders of the Universe – Perspective
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If someone claims something as fact

We’re not. That is surely implicit in all talk of the Big Bang?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That the singularity that resulted in the universe occurred from a condition of there being no universe (ie: nothing), is something that will not accommodate “stands to reason” and “common sense” and other reference points of that ilk.

However, that does not make it impossible. Just very, very strange.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, the BBT is as believable (or not) as the existence of a mystical creative deity then?

Ok. Glad we got that cleared up. 😀

Woppit, you bin running any pedestrians over lately?

glenh
    Free Member

So, the BBT is as believable (or not) as the existence of a mystical creative deity then?

There is evidence for one, and not the other.

thepurist

@Woppit – but if there was an empty space that had existed for an infinite amount of time, then the laws of probability say that it is a certainty that the singularity (and big bang and ipso facto our universe) must appear at some point, then disappear once it’s done its thing. After that a strange deity answering to the mystic name of Elfinsafety will appear and forge a new universe in the shape of old London town… or maybe Dunstable.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Except that there was no “before” the BB (time did not exist) or empty “space” in which it sat. There was simply nothing. Try and imagine it. When your brain starts to feel like it’s turning itself inside out, take a break…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😀

There is evidence for one, and not the other.

There is? Please explain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Universe is expanding in all directions. Therefore, at some point in time it was all in the same place. There is evidence of its expanding, evidence of how it expanded, what it was like shortly after it started expanding. However what caused it and what was there before is subject to informed conjecture based on what we know about the universe as it stands.

Oh and the universe includes time so there was really no ‘before’ since the word is a temporal concept. Time would seem to be finite but there is nothing before it.

Maybe take some peyote and come back to it Elf?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Unless we are merely a momentary bubble in a sea of dark matter, in which case, there was only dark matter before the BB.

Elf – if phil has not replied then it is not between you and he, it is between you and …er … you.

thepurist

That’s just the physicists cop out Woppit – Einstein & co may well have their theories that say space and time are one and the same and that therefore it makes no sense to ask what came ‘before’ time itself… but it’s more fun to think of an infinitely aged universe in which anything and everything can and will eventually happen. Just think, there’s one out there where I can ride a bike and I get some Tony bloke coming to me to ask for tips on how he can get better.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A theory is a hypothesis supported by evidence. No cop-out, just rational inference.

You can’t ride a bike and have an instructional affair with Tony bloke in this one?

Flaperon

Thing is, our mathematical understanding of the universe can’t consider what was there before it. Since time and space are inextricably linked (it’s not just a physicist cop-out), asking what was there before the universe is a bit like asking whether the number 9 is happy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Imagine an ice-age Briton walking South and West. One day he comes to Land’s End – what next? That’s it – nothing. Can’t go any further*. That’s the end of all there is.

* he’s lived a sheltered life and knows nothing about coracles or swimming.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Maybe take some peyote and come back to it Elf?

Maybe you should lake some Acid and come back to it.

If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

“To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour.”

I like Science, it’s fun and it explains some stuff and that, but I think there are times when scientists often think themselves cleverer than they actually are, and close their minds off to other possible explanations for stuff.

I think it’s very foolish to slavishly pursue just a limited range of investigation. There are big gaps what Science doesn’t explain. Maybe simply because it can’t? It is after all limited by Human intelligence, which, if you consider the incredible bigness of the universe and everything, is surely not really all that significant, in the greater scheme of things.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hmmm. I think he’d probably identify water, just not know how to travel on it. Not the same thing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Imagine an ice-age Briton walking South and West. One day he comes to Land’s End – what next? That’s it – nothing. Can’t go any further*. That’s the end of all there is.

Ah, but what is it that drives the man to build a boat and seek answers which lie beyond the limit of his current state?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think there are times when scientists often think themselves cleverer than they actually are

Evidence? Given that science is always perfectly happy to be proved wrong, thereby enabling improvement of theory, I doubt that your claim is accurate.

If science can’t explain something, all that means is that it can’t be explained by science as it is now. That used to be the case for atoms, for example. I’m not sure your argument actually means very much.

Reads to me like you’re trying to build back to your argument for god, which of course you don’t believe in, but you like the people who do. Apparently.

richmtb

As I understand it the inflationary thoery is pretty well borne out by current observations (if not experimentally).

The biggest evidence for inflation is the fact that space (not the stuff in it but “space” itself) is all the pretty much the same temperature – to within a thousanth of a degree – everywhere. If you point an intrument anywhere at the sky and measure the back ground temperature of space it is always the same.

The only way this could have happened is for the universe to have expanded rapidly after a tiny period of slow expansiion which allowed the tiny new universe to reach a uniform temperature.

I can recommend the books of Brian Greene for anyone who is interested in learning a bit more but doesn’t have a degree in theoretical physics

LabWormy

Last week’s “In Our Time” on Radio 4 had a good discussion on the age of the universe.

It differed from the Wonders of the Universe in that there were three “brains” having a debate and being more honest about the wooly bits.

Near the end one of the contributors points out that if “it” went bang once, and we don’t know why it went bang, then what is to stop it going bang again?

Science is very near to explaining everything from a few fractions of a second after the the Big Bang to the end of time.

However it may be that we are just incapable of understanding what triggered the Big Bang, but I hope we never stop trying to understand it, as to do so would seem like a return to (in Western terms) the pre-enlightenment view of “I can’t understand that, it must be down to a higher power” and that gets us nowhere!

molgrips
    Free Member

but I think there are times when scientists often think themselves cleverer than they actually are

No, I think that people often THINK that scientists think they are clever than they are. It’s an often trotted-out stereotype and not at all true. Anyone who’s spent any time studying this stuff or any theoretical physics knows full well how little we know. Otherwise where would the fun be? We’d just be engineers.

Plus I think that many scientists are actually a lot cleverer than people give them credit for. Most are aware of the philosophical implications of what they study, and many have excellent imaginations too.

I think it’s very foolish to slavishly pursue just a limited range of investigation

When you become a scientist, you choose a field. Then you work really hard at it and get deeper and deeper into it. So you become an expert in a very narrow area. You follow leads and things that turn up in your experiments and learn as you go. That takes up so much time there’s only enough in one career to do a very small slice of ‘science’.

You are not a ‘scientist’ looking for the answers to life, the universe and everything. You are say an astrophysicist trying to model the birth of stars and explain the distribution of stars masses vs temperatures (or whatever.. I know that’s already been done a lot).

You COULD sit there and think about grand issues like why are we here, but that’s not science, it’s philosophy. Scientists want things they can measure and evaluate. And you wouldn’t come up with much proof or evidence.

thepurist

The best thing about science is that, in its purest form, it can explain things that are difficult to imagine or understand, or that we simply may not be able to prove in the material world. We may not like the answers, we may not be able to explain them simply, but based on everything we know at the time we can derive things that we believe must be true. Then years later we may find that material science has advanced to a point where we can look for observable proof of what we believed to be true.

That’s when the fun starts, as it’s quite possible that what we believe we have measured does not correlate with what we thought we understood.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No glib reply from Fred yet. Clock’s ticking…

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s writing out a big long one.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Here I am!

No long waffling reply. Don’t need to really. We’ve done this argument countless times. I’m no more or less convinced than I was before.

Scientists want things they can measure and evaluate.

And if they can’t measure or evaluate things, then they simply ignore them.

Youse stick to yer pure science as yer only way of explaining things if you want.

I’ll keep a more open mind… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Youse stick to yer pure science as yer only way of explaining things if you want

Silly bugger.

Pure science is the only way of explaining science. That is what we are talking about. Philosophy isn’t going to explain Science, neither is Science going to explain Philosophy.

You might as well say a telephone’s not as good as a beard trimmer.

I have as open a mind as anyone else, but you appear to have closed yours on us!

And if they can’t measure or evaluate things, then they simply ignore them

You can’t DO SCIENCE on things that you can’t measure and evaluate, and these people are SCIENTISTS so their job is DOING SCIENCE.

You are getting rather confused here.

racefaceec90

apologies as i haven’t read all the thread. does anyone else think that it’s the universe itself that is the creator being/entity (this is what i believe) also professor stephenm hawking thinks that when one universe ends,another is created (i think he said it was something to do with where black holes go to?am not a physicist so have more than likely got it wrong)also there could possibly be infinite universes. could there be any possibility of that,or am i just being stupid?i really can believe in these possibilities.

LabWormy

Science is about having an open mind.

The wanderings, musings and imaginings of the open mind are then tested.

If you have a closed mind and have already decided on the outcome of your experiment, then you have failed as a scientist.

No one with a closed mind could conduct thought experiments about riding an a beam of light ….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

does anyone else think that it’s the universe itself that is the creator being/entity

No.

The rest of it’s possible, but still a bunch of hypotheses.. Hypothesisses… Hypothesizers… stuff that isn’t a theory yet.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Silly bugger.

No you’re the silly bugger for calling me a silly bugger but completely missing the point.

Science and Philosophy both have their place in Human society. Indeed, one compliments the other. You could say that Science seeks to explain How, and Philosophy seeks to explain Why.

I’ve got time for both. Where there are gaps in Scientific Explanation, I am free to enjoy trying to figure stuff out by myself. It’s an enjoyable process. I’m not going to slavishly follow Science, as much as I’m not going to slavishly follow Religion. But I happen to think there are lots of good valid points and answers to be made by both schools of thought. Where for example Science can explain things Religion/Philosophy can’t, or even discredit and disprove religious belief, then I’ll go with that, as it’s the best explanation and means of understanding that I have available to me.

Those who don’t think we need to bother with ‘Why’, like yer Woppits and them, well, up to you. But don’t go round thinking you’ve got it figured out better than me, cos that’s just arrogant, narrow-minded and limiting. Don’t tell me I’m not allowed to consider Why, just cos you can’t get yer head round it, or refuse to believe in such a concept. Are your views more valid than mine? Are they bollocks. They’re just your views, nothing more.

Anyway we all know I’m righterer than you so there.

thepurist

So Fred, if scientists “just ignore things that they can’t measure or evaluate” why are they trying so hard to measure the Higgs boson, or dark matter etc. They’re all things that the current consensus says must exist but we can’t find them at the moment – but does that stop them existing?

You can turn to philosophy or religion but they aint gonna tell you why the universe is the way it is. And nor am I cos I haven’t spent the last 40 years studying it, but I’m still entitled to find it fascinating without being arrogant or narrow minded.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Those who don’t think we need to bother with ‘Why’, like yer Woppits and them, well, up to you. But don’t go round thinking you’ve got it figured out better than me

I’ve got it figured out better than you.

Don’t tell me I’m not allowed to consider Why

Oh, O.K., then.

just cos you can’t get yer head round it

You maintain there’s a “why”. – Evidence?

Mleh mleh mleh and so Fred resorts, as ever in the end, to rant and abuse. How familiar. I thought that was what I was supposed to do. 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“yer Woppits and them”?

Nick

But what if there really is no why, other than the fact that we are here because we just are and that, as I think has been mentioned before and was certainly what our favourite ex-popstar was getting it, when you consider just how much time the Universe will exist vs. how little time it will support life, and that we choose to spend our nanoscopically small allocation of this briefest moment on pleasuring ourselves, arguing on the internet and coming up with bizarre and baseless fairy tales that normally involve asserting some kind of control over each other by making the other person feel bad about themselves, such notions of there being a ‘why’, even if it did exist, will surely be as unanswerable as ‘how’.

ojom
    Free Member

Indeed, one compliments the other. You could say that Science seeks to explain How, and Philosophy seeks to explain Why.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/complement.html

Happy to help.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You maintain there’s a “why”. – Evidence?

There’s the limit of your thinking; trying to apply scientific methods to a philosophical question…

I’ve got it figured out better than you.

You think you have, Woppit, you think you have. That’s all it is. Nothing more. If it makes you happy to think you have everything sussed better than others, then that’s up to you. I don’t have a problem with that. Ignorance is bliss, after all…

Reads to me like you’re trying to build back to your argument for god, which of course you don’t believe in, but you like the people who do. Apparently.

Then you obviously haven’t readed stuff propply, have you? Bless… 😀

You can turn to philosophy or religion but they aint gonna tell you why the universe is the way it is.

Oh really? Explain please.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get a balloon, and paint some spots on it. Then inflate the balloon and watch the distance between the spots increase.

I don’t know what this means, but it’s relaxing 🙂

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Don’t tell me I’m not allowed to consider Why, just cos you can’t get yer head round it, or refuse to believe in such a concept.

I hear people with this attitude all the time. They just stop questioning the Why.
    I find that astoundingly closed-minded. For me it is the most fascinating part of all.

I also like to keep in mind that everything we measure and observe about our universe is only, and can only be, from our own human perpective.
    It is possibly a completely different universe than that “seen” by other life in the universe.

Nick

It’s also possible that we are the only sentient intelligent life in the universe, which means there is only one perspective.

Get a balloon, and paint some spots on it…

I like this idea, but it still leaves me confused.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-the-universe-hollow

ahwiles
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Scientists want things they can measure and evaluate.

And if they can’t measure or evaluate things, then they simply ignore them.

know many scientists do you?

😉

(there are scientists studying plenty of things that are tricky to measure / evaluate; a friend of mine is a clinical psychologist studying the maternal bond between mother and child in cases of drug addiction – deeply interesting stuff, very tricky to quantify anything, very important, and absolutely solid science. etc. and indeed, etc.)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Wonders of the Universe – Perspective’ is closed to new replies.