• This topic has 120 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Woman spreads rubbish on skate park
  • barkm
    Free Member

“I understand.”
    You clearly don’t.

It’s interesting that people seem to be quick to condemn the woman without knowing the full story, simply from viewing an edited video. Judgmental, much?

her actions in the video are pretty unambiguous, there is really no need to know the full story which at best is a petty frustration. I suspect it goes deeper and she doesn’t like the facility being there at all, nonetheless her actions taken at face value are extremely inappropriate. The full story is completely irrelevant.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh my god. not another thread that goes totally off the point and STWers start “BITCHING” at each other. Excellent!

Woman is clearly nuts. Anyone who’d get that close to a public litter bin, especially one containing dog shit, definitely has a screw loose.

But: This – ‘clear up your f******* mess'”

She has a point. Many many kids haven’t been taught by their parents that they should take litter home. I have an example from my own family, but can’t be arsed to type it.
    But she won’t get anywhere like that.

GrahamS

It’s interesting that people seem to be quick to condemn the woman without knowing the full story, simply from viewing an edited video.

And I explicitly pointed out the cuts and cautioned that we didn’t know the context.
    Though it is hard to imagine what could justify the parts we did see.

“It’s interesting” that you seem very focussed on the fact that she is (apparently) a woman.
    But no one has condemned her gender, only her actions, which is very much the opposite of sexism.

CountZero

The sanctimonious pomposity on display here is really quite breathtaking!

anagallis_arvensis

Many many kids haven’t been taught by their parents that they should not take litter home

anagallis_arvensis

Mad ***** in the vid though!

DezB
    Free Member

many kids haven’t been taught by their parents that they should take litter home

Yeah, should’ve said – or dispose of it properly.

jamj1974

The young lad filming concludes by calling her a ‘**** bitch’ which is out of order and uncalled for.

Not keen on the bitch part but she deserved a few choice insults to be honest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If that had have been me, I’d have started clearing it up as quick as she was spreading it around. Nothing, but nothing, annoys people more than politeness and staying calm when they’re angry.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Kids these days seem to be a lot more pleasant,

No they’re not, they’re mainly horrible annoying things. Especially the 21 yr old prisoners I deal with, nasty little $shitebags bar none.

DezB
    Free Member

Actually, the F—in bitch has given me an idea of what to do in the local woods where I walk the dog.
    There’s a clearing with a log where yoof sit and there are so many cans and bottles and wrappers left around. Might decorate their sitting log with some doggy logs.

user-removed
    Free Member

The kid narrating actually comes across quite well. I used to work at a site with a free skate park and one of our many joyful tasks was to go down and clean it up every day.

Filthy little feckers. Bins everywhere, never used. Rubbish blowing over the entire site, dog’s abuse off the kids because one of their mates had smashed a Lambrini bottle in one of the bowls.

Occasionally, one of the less ill – mannered ones would come and demand a brush to sweep the bowls out. That stopped after the 12th non-returned brush, later found snapped, hanging from a tree.

DrJ

Bit confused. Mad lady is female right? So how is calling her a bitch sexist any more than calling her a stupid woman? Is it now sexist to acknowledge that people have a specific sex?

Speeder

DrJ – Member
    Bit confused. Mad lady is female right? So how is calling her a bitch sexist any more than calling her a stupid woman? Is it now sexist to acknowledge that people have a specific sex?

It appears that in “PC Land” even insults have to be gender neutral in case one risks causing offence. A ridiculous* over-reaction (not talking about the video)

* edited so as not to cause any offense to some as yet unnamed person who is very likely to take offence at my language.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I briefly scanned some of this and all I got was that clodhopper is a timewasting vegan with a chip on his/her/it’s shoulder.

😉

GrahamS

That’s a bit meatist.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I assume you think it’s ok for someone to speak to your wife, mother, daughters etc in the same manner?

How patronising clodhopper. Women clearly need protecting as they can’t stand up for themselves in your eyes.

Reported.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Please.
    Make.
    It.
    Stop.
    😥

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Bit confused”

Clearly. As are a number of people on here, evidently. Indeed, it’s really quite telling when any challenge to the patriarchy is met with vehement defensiveness.

“Mad lady is female right? So how is calling her a bitch sexist any more than calling her a stupid woman? Is it now sexist to acknowledge that people have a specific sex?”

What’s her sex/gender got to do with anything though? Absolutely nothing. So why call her a mad bitch?

Bigyinn; don’t worry, I really can’t see any point in continuing as some folk just can’t seem to handle having their sensibilities questioned. So I’ll leave you here with this:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-evolution-of-the-bitch-905

DrJ

What’s her sex/gender got to do with anything though? Absolutely nothing. So why call her a mad bitch?

It identifies who she is, just like you might say “I was talking to a bloke down the pub”. The person’s gender is unlikely to be germane to the discussion you had, it is simply a way of saying who you are talking about.

My sensibilities are not challenged – my faith in the good sense of my fellow man (!!!) certainly is.

GrahamS

So I’ll leave you here with this:

Have you actually read that article? Some selected quotes:

it’s not totally clear what “bitch” really means anymore.

The word has been so splintered that it’s unclear where “bitch” stands today, and how—if at all—we should use it. Can feminists call themselves bitches? Can men call other women bitches?

The word “bitch” was like a handful of Silly Putty—you could make it into anything you wanted. To be sure, it was still used to call out mean women

These days, “bitch” has been used to death—to the point where all of its meaning has pretty much rubbed off

Words only make sense in context.

Not exactly conclusive!

Calling out “mean women” seems like the usage and context here. No sexual context at all. No enforced patriarchy or misogyny. Just a mean woman being called “a bitch” in very much the same way you might call a mean man “a bastard” or any number of male gender-specific insults.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Here is another, perhaps more pertinent than those you chose:

“The Genesis: Lady Dogs
    Everyone knows that once upon a time, a bitch was simply a lady dog. Trace its lineage in the Oxford English Dictionary, however, and you’ll find that it’s been used as a derogatory term for women as early as the 15th century. Back then, it was considered demoralizing mostly because it suggested that the woman in question was promiscuous (an allusion to the fact that female dogs have so many puppies), according to English language historian Geoffrey Hughes. This is, of course, why “son of a bitch” had such a sting: It meant your mother was a whore. That said, “bitch” was far from the most popular insult in Ye Olde English. Dudes like Chaucer preferred the use of words like “whore” or “sluttish.”

“Bitch” didn’t really catch on as the universal female insult until the 1920s, when all of a sudden its use ballooned. Between 1915 and 1930, the use of “bitch” in newspapers and literature more than doubled. What happened? Women’s suffrage.

That’s right. That Susan B. Anthony bitch got the right to vote, and men were not happy about it. Soon after, “bitch” became an all-purpose insult for annoying women. Ernest Hemingway seemed to fall in love with the word, calling many of his female characters “bitch goddesses” and, after a falling-out with Gertrude Stein, gifting her a signed copy of Death in the Afternoon with the inscription “a bitch is a bitch is a bitch.” He had a way with words, that Hemingway.”

The use of the word in the context of the video, is for the young man to insult the woman by targeting her gender. There is absolutely no need for him to do that, it’s just plain lazy sexism, end of. Misogyny and enforced patriarchy? Yep, all there.

“Just a mean woman being called “a bitch” in very much the same way you might call a mean man “a bastard” or any number of male gender-specific insults.”

‘Bastard’ isn’t gender specific, it’s just used towards men more than women. So, pretty poor example.

You don’t have to agree with me, I’m not forcing you to. You might do yourself a favour by enlightening yourself in regards to gender politics though, as you and several others seem to be a bit ignorant in this regard.

clodhopper
    Free Member

And for those still not thinking there’s an issue with male attitudes towards women, here’s something else to read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36468984

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Heh. Menopause.

**** bitch.

km79
    Free Member

This forum gets worse by the day, clodhopper no-one cares give it up you mad bitch.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Well this didn’t go as expected. Oh hang on, it’s STW so it went exactly as expected.

user-removed
    Free Member

What’s her sex/gender got to do with anything though?

Absolutely nothing apart from the fact that had it been a six foot, bearded man, the video would have been three seconds long and the kids would have scattered.

When I was a scabby student, I had a job with the local council, picking up rubbish (amongst other duties). It was eye opening and I lost my rag badly with people sometimes.

Yes, it’s my job to pick it up, no it’s not my job to stand by and listen to you telling your kid that it’s my job whilst you chuck your Maccy D wrappers on the ground, you oaf.

Got sacked.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

here’s something else to read:

Girls are wearing shorts under their school skirts to avoid sexual harassment, MPs have heard.

So the clip was an example of sexual harassment? For someone who was potentially about to be raped she seemed remarkably calm.

GrahamS

You’re right – if we go with the 15th Century root definition then it was a sexually based insult like slut.

Guess what – meanings evolve, as the very article you linked to goes to great lengths to explain.

‘Bastard’ isn’t gender specific, it’s just used towards men more than women. So, pretty poor example.

Since you like historic roots, “bastard” is likely from the French “fils de bast” or “packsaddle son“. The reference was to a loose-living mule driver who used a packsaddle for a pillow and the next morning was off to the next town.

Chambers defines it as “coarse slang a a term of abuse or sympathy for a man • What a rotten bastard! • poor bastard!; b a man generally; a chap • lucky bastard.”

Plus you are conveniently ignoring the pretty massive list of other male-specific insults which I’m pretty sure wouldn’t get your panties in such a bunch.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d agree with clodhopper that there’s a massive amount of sexism (along with other discrimination) in society today.

But calling her a **** bitch is merely choosing an insult that is gender specific. That doesn’t make it sexist. I would hazard a guess that some insult would have been thrown had a man taken the same action.

Can we just focus on the fact that she’s clearly mental and if she wanted to do something about the rubbish (which, yes, is always an issue around playgrounds etc, but isn’t caused by ALL users) she could’ve just picked some up as me and my daughter did last time we were at the park (sorry if using the term daughter is enforcing the patriarchy btw)

DrJ

So the clip was an example of sexual harassment? For someone who was potentially about to be raped she seemed remarkably calm.

But she was wearing an extra pair of shorts. Do keep up.

DrJ

I’d agree with clodhopper that there’s a massive amount of sexism (along with other discrimination) in society today.

There is, so it’s quite an achievement to pick up on something that isn’t actually an example of sexism.

philjunior
    Free Member

DrJ – Member
    There is, so it’s quite an achievement to pick up on something that isn’t actually an example of sexism.

Agreed.

user-removed
    Free Member

WTactualF does the fact that she’s a woman have to do with this?

Someone’s finally lost their rag due to the mess of their environment. I don’t blame her. This isn’t about gender, it’s about a massive lack of respect (and a wee bit of nimbyism).

clodhopper
    Free Member

“But calling her a **** bitch is merely choosing an insult that is gender specific. That doesn’t make it sexist.”

It does, as it’s meant in a derogatory sense, using her gender as a target for abuse. That is actually sexist. As defined in law.

At the end of the day, it’s a throwaway comment by a young lad who is a bit (possibly rightly) pissed off. I don’t think it’s the massive deal that some people probably think I think it is. But the mere mention of it has got some people to really get their knickers in a twist, it seems. Which is quite telling and indicative of the level of ignorance and denial around phobic behaviour in our society. It’s got nothing to do with ‘PC gone mad’ or whatever other Daily- Mail-esque bullshit some may think, it’s all about chipping away at all forms of phobic behaviour, until they are hopefully no longer part of our society. I must go on to say that young people today seem to be far less homophobic and racist than people were when I was young, and that’s a massive positive step.. And big strides have been made forward in terms of gender equality, but we’re still a long way off.

As for the rubbish; well, I imagine (I don’t know), that the woman was pissed off over litter being dumped elsewhere, possibly by those using the skate park, and decided to make a point. We don’t know the full story, so to suggest she’s ‘mental’ (shall we start on discrimination against sufferers of mental illness? 😉 ), is a bit short sighted to say the least.

Happy to say that the people who use our local skatepark do make a good effort to keep the area tidy and litter free, and are respected for that.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Everyone is equal in the eyes of the Weyland-Yutani Corporation.

😆

Coffee – meet keyboard

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Someone’s finally lost their rag due to the mess of their environment. I don’t blame her. This isn’t about gender, it’s about a massive lack of respect (and a wee bit of nimbyism).

I’m afraid I do blame her. While she has every right to get pissed off, she’s not going to make the situation better by emptying bins on a ramp. In a different part of the country I could imagine her stringing a line across a cheeky trail.

There are means and ways. This isn’t one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

+ another

GrahamS

WTactualF does the fact that she’s a woman have to do with this?

We’re assuming she is a woman. We don’t know how she self-identifies or what her preferred gender-pronoun is.

I blame clodhopper for bringing her gender into this 😀

For what it is worth clodhopper, I have two young daughters and I am fully aware of gender politics and serious gender issues like mass-media misogyny and the increase in sexual harassment in schools that you (tangentially) linked to.

I’m also aware of the massive disservice you do to these very serious issues by diluting them with over-sensitive hand-wringing nonsense like this.

STATO
    Free Member

It does, as it’s meant in a derogatory sense, using her gender as a target for abuse. That is actually sexist. As defined in law.

So I cant call a guy a d**k?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Woman spreads rubbish on skate park’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM