Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wolves to Stourbridge – A449 alternative?
  • BlobOnAStick

Hi,

I’m working in Wolverhampton tomorrow and thought I’d ride home to Worcester afterwards.

I’m OK with a route from Stourbridge (round the back of Kinver Edge, through Bewdley and along the switchback to Holt Heath and then Worcester) but I’m a bit stuck on the route from Wolves to Stourbridge. Is there an (easy-ish) alternative to the A449? If not, what’s the A449 like to ride on traffic-wise between Wolves and Stourbridge?

Thanks,

Ben

lunge

The A449 isn’t too bad, a bit fast in places but not bad to ride. I can’t really think of too many other routes to go.

unklebuck
    Free Member

On or off road?

If you’re going to be on the west side of Wolves you could try hitting either the canal or the old railway line back towards Wombourne, and then canal on towards Stourton and Kinver.

Otherwise the A449 is a pretty busy national speed limit road, and I’ve had a few close shaves with fast moving lorries along there. The only real on-road alternative is to head towards Sedgley then onto Stourbridge via either Kingswinford or Dudley and Brierley Hill. It depends which you find more appealing, urban traffic or fast moving traffic!

z1ppy

The canal gets you a fair way into Wolverhamptop from Kinver, might be an option, obviously slower (not tarmac) and less direct, but I think the A449 a pretty fast crap road to cycle along myself, especially in traffic rushing home.

BlobOnAStick

On road – sorry, I should have specified.

I’ll check out the canal, but to be honest the pace on a towpath will be a little below that which I need to stomp along at if I’m going to get home before bedtime!

Google maps takes me west of Wombourne to Trysull and past Swindon golf club. It doesn’t look easy to navigate tbh.

Thanks for your help folks!

Haze

Head west out of Wolves A454 towards Castlecroft, take a left over the canal bridge then right towards Trysull.

Head on towards Swindon, then Enville and onto Kinver.

Lots of country lanes to pick your route through.

edit: Wrote that before your reply – yes, can be a bit tricky to navigate if you’re unfamiliar, much nicer route than the 449 though. It’s fairly well signposted so take a map and you’ll be fine.

BlobOnAStick

Haze – Is that Windmil Lane / Castlecroft lane?

Any idea what the signage is like out there?

Edit: ha ha! wrote that before your edit.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Haze

Is that Windmil Lane / Castlecroft lane?

That’s the one, I can recommend a stop off at The Bell in Trysull – Holdens Special 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wolves to Stourbridge – A449 alternative?’ is closed to new replies.