Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Woeful Scotland trip planning
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So we wanted to road-trip for a week or so in Scotland, and I think I have gained clearance to bring my bike. So it'll be countryside, scenery, short walks and some biking in the Highlands and on the coast probably. The problem is that we only have a tent and we're a little worried about having sh*t rainy weather. Most of my experience with road trips comes from the States where you can always fall back on a motel if you need to be warm and dry, but I don't think this is an option.

What are the chances of finding a hotel/b&b/hostel without booking? I'm guessing slim, so we might just book a couple of spots, maybe in Ft Bill, and see how we go.

Just rubbish at planning.

DickBarton

Pretty good depending on where you go…

Smee
    Free Member

Just wing it. I've never had a problem finding somewhere on the day.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Worst case scenario is a night in the car, surely?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Wing it – apart from Fort William. A recent tour of the north and west, I did intend staying in Lochcarron, and don't know what possessed me to decide on heading for Fort William and spending the night in a B&B there instead. Once place told me they had a room, but as it was a double, she couldn't let me have it because she'd be losing money (as opposed to leaving it empty?) and another which was at the top of a flight of steps just hadn't bothered putting the No Vacancies sign out – which might not have bothered me had I not been wearing heavy bike leathers on the hottest day of the year so far.
    Also, Applecross is tricky for accomodation. TBH I wouldn't bother with the campsite there, unless you want the facilities, just set up on the north end of the beach. I mention this because, even in a car, the road to Applecross (the Bealach na Ba) is just awesome, and the scoff in the Applecross Inn is excellent.
    Durness (as far North and West as you can go) might be difficult as well, but if you absolutely HAVE to have a bed, just keep going, you'll find one. Remember, it's the far North and in summer you'll find that when the day turns into the gloaming (which is ideal for roaming), night doesn't really happen and you're unlikely to be dealing with driving in darkness.

Treat it all as an adventure and you can't go wrong.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have never had major difficulties finding B&Bs in the towns.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh, and, don't overplan it. It's not that kind of place.
    And there are far fewer petrol stations than you might be used to. Also, remember that the more expensive the petrol is, the further away from more petrol you're likely to be.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>What are the chances of finding a hotel/b&b/hostel without booking<

100%

sofatester
    Free Member

the more expensive the petrol is, the further away from more petrol you're likely to be.

I wise man fills up when he can, not when he has to 😆

jojoA1
    Free Member

Driving up here is no fun unless you're anxiously trying to work out how much further you can get with the fuel light on. It's a hobby of mine.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You shouldn't have any problem at Ft Willy! reckon you were just dead unlucky.
    Oh, & TJ will keep you right with the weather.

jimmy

This'll inspire confidence. Wrnt up North with msjimmy last year, spent a big day doing An Teallach (1 hr south of Ullapool) getting off the hill completely knackered close to 10pm in the dark & rain. Didn't much fancy camping so drove about 3 miles down the road to a huge hotel, middle of nowhere, really quiet. Went in, thinking when its this late and quiet (4 people sat in the whole lounge restaurant) I'll offer half the going rate and why would they say no. So working out my chat to wangle that deal I asked "Errrm, how much for a room?". The reply came "sorry we're booked up". I nearly cried.

Fortunately there was a wee B&B 1 mile up the road run my a dear old lady who heated up our camp food for us while we had a hot bath and we woke up next morning to stunning, sunny views over the loch.

You'll be just reet.

molgrips
    Free Member

oh, and, don't overplan it. It's not that kind of place.

Heh.. you don't know us clearly 🙂 Overplanning's not a risk, so you've all been very helpful actually.

skidartist
    Free Member

It wouldn't do any harm to google for a few B&B numbers for the areas you'll pass through, just to have to hand, then you can at least call ahead sometimes, rather than arrive and start knocking on doors. Anyone thats booked up will usually have an idea where the available rooms will be and will give you some (usually 3 digit) phone numbers.

Even if they're not booked up people will still be selflessly helpful. I called a place in Plockton to see if they had any rooms, they said that the had, but their rooms we're "probably a bit too expensive, so why not call these numbers incase they have something cheaper, call us back if they're booked up"

crazy-legs

people will still be selflessly helpful

You're right about that! A mate was doing some touring up in Northern Scotland a few years ago, anyway, he'd had delays caused by a mechanical and wasn't going to make his booked B&B that night (he phoned ahead to tell them), he found another B&B that was fully booked and nearly cried at the prospect of more miles in the dark. They dug out a big tent, sleeping bag and rollmat, put it up in the garden for him while he had a shower then charged him a few quid for the breakfast. 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member
    gusamc
    Free Member

People help – true

exhaust split and dragged near Plocton, two blokes on a council estate, borrowed ramps, borrowed some tools, nicked some wire from a fence, and vaguely sorted. Well until we had to drive over a firehose near the hotel, how pleased were the firemen when I had to reverse back and 4 of them had to lift the hose over the car, how embarrasing ………. anyway local garge managed to fix it by 1 pm next day

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like we are talking at least £60-£70 for the B&Bs that are advertising online…

aracer
    Free Member

You've got a tent – I don't see what the problem is. You can be warm and dry in a tent, whatever the weather.

kimbers

scotland was the driest sunniest part of the uk in july

youll be fine in a tent!

druidh
    Free Member

Kimbers – you're reading the graph wrong. That's comparing recent weather against the average for each region.

aracer
    Free Member

Anyway look on the brightside – rain keeps the midges away.

kimbers

so i am

id still go with the tent anyway

BigJohn

There are always plenty of rooms free in Edinburgh in August.

There's some sort of festival that keeps the tourists away.

molgrips
    Free Member

You've got a tent – I don't see what the problem is. You can be warm and dry in a tent, whatever the weather

Mmm. There's two of us and a baby. When you're trekking through the hills, you pitch camp, cook and go to sleep so you don't have a problem. However we'll probably be driving somewhere, wanting to stop at say six then we could be faced with the prospect of having to cook, eat and entertain a baby for four hours in a 3 man tent. We do have a bigger tent but it takes a good deal longer to pitch which again is not a pleasing prospect in the rain, especially if it's a daily occurrence.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Looks like we are talking at least £60-£70 for the B&Bs that are advertising online..

eh?
    I'm usually £25-£30 but that's just for me – is this for the family or per person?
    Where are you looking at going?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>However we'll probably be driving somewhere, wanting to stop at say six then we could be faced with the prospect of having to cook, eat and entertain a baby for four hours in a 3 man tent.<

It aint the outback – check into a b&b if you're that worried about camping with a wean.

StirlingCrispin

And make sure you go for a B&B that isn't tourist board registered (because that costs a lot) – you want the ones run by a wifey for a bit of pin money and some company.

This way you get enough tea, cake and porridge to last you a lifetime plus you get to meet the family, walk the dog, and then invited to visit her son next time you're in Ontario. May need to drive a bit out of town for one of these though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm usually £25-£30 but that's just for me – is this for the family or per person?
    Where are you looking at going?

Er, West coast, highlands, cairngorms maybe, not sure. It's for the three of us.

It aint the outback – check into a b&b if you're that worried about camping with a wean.

Well that was the question. In some places every accomodation is booked up solid all summer, I wondered if that was likely in rural Scotland. Sounds like it won't be a problem tho 🙂

epicyclo

If you're lucky it'll be raining, so the midges will stay away.

No such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just people dressed inappropriately.

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – just take your tent and bale out to a B&B if the weather gets nasty.
    I'm sure no one else will have a similar idea 🙄

FWIW, if I had a baby in tow I wouldn't be taking chances on accommodation. In much of the Highlands, accommodation is pretty sparse and where there's lots, that's because it's there to meet the demand. You might be lucky if you turn up after the main holiday period. Depends how lucky you feel I guess…..

Northwind

druidh's spot on, you can usually just pitch up and hope to find a B&B but if the weather turns things get busy quickly. Still, in decent sized areas you'll usually find something, it just might not be as good or as cheap as you want. Learned this over many washed out camping trips as a kid 😉

Oh, worth mentioning that this year is busier than it's been in years for camping and other budget options.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

plus you get to meet the family, walk the dog, and then invited to visit her son next time you're in Ontario

Last B&B I stayed in I got to meet the neighbour, who went and got his laptop to show me his (feathered) bird photos, including a golden eagle which winged it's way overhead the previous week. And we all laid into a bottle of whiskey, leaving me with a shocker of a hangover the next day. So it wasn't my fault I threw up in the garden next morning.

For 3 of you £60-£70 is a bit higher than you might find by just pitching up and hoping for the best (£50-£60). But that guarantees you a place to stay whereas if the weather's nice, camping is cheaper and you can pick some stunning places to stay.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Woeful Scotland trip planning’ is closed to new replies.