Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Winter/summer tyre choices on the trail bike?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Setting myself a few strava targets for the summer and it’s got me thinking about tyre choices.

Currently running a Magic Mary front Hans Dampf rear combo on the trail bike and it gives amazing grip for the winter months.. but my God has it got some resistance!

Thinking what to put in for the few weeks of dust we might get and am interested in what contrasting combos people run for different seasons?

br
    Free Member

Depends where you live/ride.

For me in Scotland it’s rarely not ‘damp’ under wheel 🙂

Currently Shorty at both ends, but last summer I ran a HR2 3C front and Minion SS rear.

flaps
    Free Member

On the HT I’ve some Conti Trail King Protection 2.2s, they seemed to be able to cope with anything. On the new FS I’ve Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front and Rock Razor 2.35 on the rear (Cube Stereo). Compared to the TKs they are shite, bit of mud and I’m all over the place! I’m going to see how it goes once it dries out but if the TKs hadn’t done 1300 miles I’d be swapping them over.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be happy using High Roller 2 2.4 3C Exo front and Minion DHR2 2.3 Dual Exo, all year round. The harder compound DHR2 (not 3C) rolls much quicker than a tyre so grippy should – it’s not much slower than the Minion SS I use for less gnarly stuff in the summer.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Mary/Nic would be a more logical combo for winter as Hans doesn’t clear mud very well.
    Hans/Razor in the summer.

chilled76
    Free Member

I used to run a nice on the rear and really didn’t rate the grip when putting power down on climbs… Used to wheelspin a lot.

flaps
    Free Member

@fifeandy, yeah it’s not a great combo but having only just got the bike I might have to make do for a bit or put the TKs on. The wife’s only just stopped being pissed at me for getting it in the first place!
    I too have been getting the wheel spin on muddy inclines 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Winter/summer tyre choices on the trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.