Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Winterising the kids bike
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Winter is on its way and I want to continue to ride in the woods with my boy.
    He has a Cnoc 14, which he loves and gets on with very well. Last time we were up the woods he was getting very frustrated with his feet slipping off the pedals a lot.
    I have found a source of more grippy tyres. It appears that Kenda do a 14″ version of the old BMX comp IV’s.

I was wondering if anyone has sourced any grippier pedals for their young’uns Cnoc. Honestly, I don’t even know what thread standard they use.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone has sourced any grippier pedals for their young’uns

If duct tape doesn’t work….then you’re not using enough duct tape.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Not really an answer to your original question but I would check the grease in the headset and wheel bearings on an Isla bike. They are very low quality with virtually no sealing and don’t like getting wet. My daughter rode hers a few times in the rain and rust started leaking from the wheel bearings and the headset went very stiff.

matt_outandabout

We use cheap Wellgo V8 copy metal spiked pedals – they work well, for long enough, and are grippy enough without removing shins when then slip….

honourablegeorge

andysredmini – Member
    Not really an answer to your original question but I would check the grease in the headset and wheel bearings on an Isla bike. They are very low quality with virtually no sealing and don’t like getting wet. My daughter rode hers a few times in the rain and rust started leaking from the wheel bearings and the headset went very stiff.

Understand you have an ace to grind, as you’ve posted this more than once, but the bikes certainly aren’t “very low quality” – ours have been out in all sorts of weather with no problems.

jonathan
    Free Member

Your problem on the Cnoc is always going to be clearance – so you’d do best looking for the most compact you can find.

I recently got some Wellgo KC001s for our youngest Beinn – not as big as V8 copies, but may still be a bit wide on a Cnoc. Something like the Wellgo M151 in “road” setting with the cgae removed might work well.

ads678

What shoes did he have on? I get mine to wear their walking boots if it’s looking a bit wet/muddy so they don’t slip off the pedals too much.

My lad has a pair of plastic wellgo platform pedals that seem to do the trick, but he’s on a 20″ bike. My daughter has the standard Isla one that came on her Cnoc 16 (I think anyway, I bought it 2nd hand) and they’re not as grippy as the lads ones. work ok with some nice grippy soled boots though.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I never said the bike was low quality. I said the headset and wheel bearings are low quality with poor sealing and I stand by that.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments people.

I guess the threads are std MTB then, which is handy. I will check out what Wellgo have to offer thank you!

@andyasredmini – Thanks for the heads up. I have just done this to my main MTB and found the lack of ‘waterproofing’ grease a bit alarming. I should be ashamed that I haven’t stripped the headset down since I bought the bike in the spring I guess.
    I will check the boys as well and make sure its UK mud worthy.
    The bikes are extremely good quality but who knows if yours got the same amount of waterproofing grease applied as the last or indeed next bike in the assembly line.

A friend of mine bought an Orange Crush a few years ago and the headset seized solid within a fortnight, on a ride around Gisburne Forest. We live in Alton Hampshire so not an insignificant pain in the arse. The headset was bone dry from install.

The bike shop where he bought effectively said tough ****, get on with it. I used to use the shop and recommend it a lot. Needless to say, I’ve not been in since.

@perchypanther – words to live by indeed 😀

sharkguru78
    Free Member

i used something like this in the past for my Son little bike and they do work better then the original Cnoc pedals

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Picture not showing sg. Can you post a link?

Thanks

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ah, beat me to it, thanks!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@ads678

The shoes are possibly part of the issue. Through the summer he has been wearing crocs, now its colder, Clarks shoes which do not seem very grippy.
    I may look at some sacrificial trainers with herringbone soul. I guess 5 10’s don’t go that small (he’s three).

jonathan
    Free Member

I guess 5 10’s don’t go that small (he’s three).

Maybe – Freerider kids go down to kids US 10.5 – which is about an EU28 I think.

I’ve been stopping myself splashing on a pair for my 5 yo ;’-)

ads678

My kids have karrimor boots from sports direct, they go really small and don’t cost much at all so you’re not bothered when they grow out of them quickly. Cracking little boots. The waterproof ones don’t start until size 10 or something but the non water proof ones seemed pretty water resistant any way!!.

My lad has these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wellgo-b109-plastic-pedals/rp-prod70423 Probably a bit big for a 14″ bike but they’re grippy enough without being too severe on the shins!!

peabrain
    Free Member

Teva crank jr shoes go down to 8uk or even smaller. Have to get them from the us but they are still a lot cheaper than five tens

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Winterising the kids bike’ is closed to new replies.