Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Winter tyre width?
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

So all things being equal what impact does tyre width have for winter riding, lets think trail centre type riding.

Normally I'd ride a 2.1, but I'm thinking for the winter season I might go up to a 2.25. How much (if any) effect would that have?

jackthedog
    Free Member

If we're talking same tyre, compound, tread, pressure, bike, terrain and conditions, not enough to be worth swapping I'd say.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Tail centers are generally built to drain well, so no real difference over summer riding really.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Little/no effect on trail centre riding IMO other than being more draggy and weighty. Off-piste however, it's a different story.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it would be normal to go narrower in the winter to cut through the mud. trail centres though don't really need a winter tyre.

if it's partiually rocky – it *may* be worth gettting a softer tyre for grip on wet rock – although places like afan – with lots of traffic – seem to have rubbery rocks on the line – the rocks grip amazingly well in the wet.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Good replies, enlightening.

So how far away from trail centers do we have to stray before the extra width becomes a real benefit? In fact what are the benefits?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not sure about trail centres but comparing Lordswood with Swinley

Lordswood – Skinny front tyre cuts through the mud so I can steer and is less draggy on the firmer stuff.

Swinley – Same skinny tyre was skipping and sliding about on the horrible yellow trail protection they put down. Next weekend with a normal width tyre the front end stayed in place much better.

My non-scientific conclusions:

Muddy and boggy terrain used skinny tyres.
    Stoney or 'part surfaced' terrain use big tyres.
    Intermediate stuff doesn't seem to matter which tyres you use.

tinsy
    Free Member

2.1 tops for me… but I do nearly all XC, if I wasnt doing too much pedalling and lots of DH then bigger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyre width?’ is closed to new replies.