• This topic has 127 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Winter road bikes, lets see them.
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

it doesnt. the inability to fit full length guards does.

raceblades/guards are ok, but as mentioned above your riding mates will want to stab you after a while, and they really dont stop your bike and yourself getting covered in cack like proper guards do.

winter bikes exist for a reason. i’ve nothing against folks riding their summer bikes all winter, just having tried it for a single season i realised very quickly that i needed more guardage.

also you miss the joy of pulling out your race bike in april time and overnight going 3-4 mph faster!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Same as the summer one.

Just covered in filth, and some lights 🙂

Vortexracing

This Hewitt Alpine Carbon one of mine was designed to accomodate full guards and 28 tyres and is carbon.

So some do exist that allow the weight and ride qualities of carbon, but still allow full gurd coverage and as with mine some rack fixings as well.

All I’m saying is carbon is not just for summer nowadays, others also offer the same, Dolan Dual and Ribble I believe have just released one.

also you miss the joy of pulling out your race bike in april time and overnight going 3-4 mph faster!

I’m not sure my speed would change TBH, thats a reflection on my lack of fitness 🙁

theboatman
    Free Member

To be honest having always had bikes previously that took full mudguards, I needed a bike quick this spring due to car/ bike interface on the way to work and picked up this px frame locally second hand. Having stuck some race blade longs on it, I know can’t really see that I will swap it for a bike that can take full guards again. The Longs have aren’t quite as good as full guards, but even as someone who only transport to work is a bike, so it’s pretty much in daily use, I really can’t say I’d be that fussed. Nobody moans about them on the club runs either. I can really think why you would want to ride in the freezing wet on the road without any guards on though.

will
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member

That is very true. Went out on the best bike last night and Tuesday night and speed different was very noticeable. Getting back on the Ribble this morning was like riding a tank.

hammerite
    Free Member

This was my good road bike until I bought a new good road bike, so now the guards just stay on all year long.

tracknicko
    Free Member

That is very true. Went out on the best bike last night and Tuesday night and speed different was very noticeable. Getting back on the Ribble this morning was like riding a tank.

depressing inst it? went out with our fast lads a couple of weeks back on my winter bike (assuming they would also) but they were all eeking out the last days on full blown race bikes.

felt like i had my brakes on for the entire ride!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This, but with new tyres, full guards, panniers and looking a bit tattier.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Currently Spesh Tricross (which I ride all year to be honest), now has added dynamo light up front.

To be replaced at some point with this

I reckon Coleman has the right idea. 😉

tootallpaul

Whats that frame ctznsmith?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Whats that frame ctznsmith?

+1, looks nice.

seven
    Free Member

Having seen me through a season of sportives the Broom is now my winter bike as the new Spesh Roubaix arrived last week.

Introducing the Broom by jake474, on Flickr

soobalias
    Free Member

winter road bike, summer road bike

cant see the reflective tape everywhere and its got a hat full of lights attached now

Freester

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Take 2 after epic pic posing fail…

Kryton57

Thank god for Big G and Hob Nob, I was beginning to think it was just me. IMO, proper race bikes look wrong with mudguards, just MTFU!

Here’s mine:

bianchi

backtothetop
    Free Member

Am i missing something? Why do u have winter bikes? ive only just bought my first road bike (a 2012 giant defy 3,nothing too special as ive gotta convince myself im gonna get in to this roadie stuff before spunkin a load over full carbon)

Surely if u just use the same bike all year round and clean the important bits after every ride then u dont need a ‘winter bike’.

do parts wear out quicker on road bikes then mtb’s?

Enlighten me and then this time next year i may be able to add a pic to this thread, (probably the giant defy)

Kuco

Same as my summer road bike.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

IMO, proper race bikes look wrong with mudguards

Says the man with a single bottle cage, compact chainset and pump on the frame 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Says the man with a single bottle cage, compact chainset and pump on the frame

and the bars at a silly angle!

Winter hack bikes have full length mudguards. This is a FACT.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Winter bike is the same as my summer bike. Pegoretti duene with crud guards.
    I’ll ride my condor fixed if it’s really shitty and I fancy a quick blast

Kryton57

Says the man with a single bottle cage, compact chainset and pump on the frame
    and the bars at a silly angle!

Caught. Things have changed though with experience, although it still has a compact chainset – there’s a lot of hills in Essex, more than you’d think… 😀 Two cages, pump in pocket, bars adjusted appropriately.

Kryton57

I do like that Bronze Genesis.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Have some raceblades and reflective tape to go on it. Just put it together and not sure I like the compact yet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely if u just use the same bike all year round and clean the important bits after every ride then u dont need a ‘winter bike’.

do parts wear out quicker on road bikes then mtb’s?

Enlighten me and then this time next year i may be able to add a pic to this thread, (probably the giant defy)

Clean bits as they need it, usually once a month.

Parts wear out slower on road bikes but then I tend to replace them much sooner as it’s more noticeable, putting new chains on before 0.75% still stops it skipping, but the shifting isn’t quite as good so i tend to do them either much sooner or pick up cheep cassettes as well. Ditto cables, brakes, everything.

What you’re really missing out on is:
    a) tough wheel, the roads are crap in winter, more potholes etc
    b) tough tyres, because in the summer a club run puncture is a an inconvenience and a chance for everyone to catch their breath and natter, in winter in the rain it’s miserable.
    c) mud guards, the one thing more miserable than fixing punctures in the cold and rain is wet feet and a soaked arse. And even worse a wet face of salty wetness from the bloke in front who’s not got full length guards!

HTTP404
    Free Member

TiRed

proper race bikes look wrong with mudguards, just MTFU!

Kryton, do you ride in a group? In the wet you’ll get a facefull in the paceline. Guards are great.

Properly fitted black guards can barely be seen, just get the narrowest SKS.

oldgit
    Free Member

Winter bikes make good sense. Not only do they offer a degree of winter comfort they also help keep the good stuff in A1 condition for race day.
    So not do I only have that winter heavyweight hack on the other page, but I have a summer/spring/autumn training bike for when the training gets more specific.

ourmaninthenorth

In touring mode a few years ago. Did loads of miles on it (used to commute 170 miles a week). Sadly discovered a crack in the frame last winter 🙁 I’m still in mourning and, while I’ll just winterise my CX bike, I’m still looking for a replacement.

On the ferry (Ghent trip, Nov 08)

smell_it
    Free Member

I don’t want to be cleaning my bike 5-6 times per week.

RealMan
    Free Member

bigG continues to win all the points every time he posts that picture.

Alex

Used this for commuting last winter.

Cotswold Road Ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Looked like this most days

Wet Wibble by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Stopped commuting. Bought this. Might be starting commuting again soon.

Haldon Gateway by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’ve the plastic road version of the Boardman hung up in the big shed. Not been ridden for a year. Commuting by bike I get. Road riding has sadly passed me by 😉

Alex

Used this for commuting last winter.

Cotswold Road Ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Looked like this most days

Wet Wibble by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Stopped commuting. Bought this. Might be starting commuting again soon.

Haldon Gateway by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’ve the plastic road version of the Boardman hung up in the big shed. Not been ridden for a year. Commuting by bike I get. Road riding has sadly passed me by 😉

Blackhound

In Euro touring mode but just take off bags for winter riding:

P8181021 by blackhound59, on Flickr

ctznsmith
    Free Member

FAO: Thomthumb and tootallpaul, custom built Reynolds 725 frame by Lee Cooper (http://customcycleframes.blogspot.co.uk/).

Not cheap* to be honest and considering it’s ‘designed’ by me the first ride is going to be one of either relief or misery.

*When you compare the cost to the rrp of the closest mass produced frame it doesn’t seem that expensive. However when you compare it to the cost of frames made in the far east you realise why most bikes are made there at the moment.

Anyone want to ‘invest’ in starting a bike company? 😉

mooman
    Free Member

Been using this. Nice and comfortable. If a little heavy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

And even worse a wet face of salty wetness from the bloke in front who’s not got full length guards!

*Sniggers*

😛

jp-t853

My only bike

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I know its silly but I just can’t bring myself to put mudguards on my road bike. They just look so.. eewwwww.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Winter Trainer (Awesome frames for 200 squid !!) :

Commuter:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Winter road bikes, lets see them.’ is closed to new replies.