Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Winter Proof Rear Light
  • luketracey

Once again this winter I’m down to disassembling my Toepeak Redlight every time I get home/work to switch it on/off as the switch hates water/muck.

I need to purchase an actually waterproof rear light, light sits under my seat right in the spray/ muck (no mudguards). Does anyone have any real world experience of a light that can survive a few winters?

Cheers

Luke

will
    Free Member

Lezyne Micro Drive. On its 3rd winter.

Another option, you could put an ass saver under your light?

tomd
    Free Member

Lezyne Zecto was good for me for a couple of winters. Sadly misplaced it and thinking of getting another.

Del

again, the answer to this is:

cateye tl-ld1100

funkweasel
    Free Member

Moon Nebula seems quite waterproof so far.

djflexure

I have a Niteflux which seems like a great design – bit expensive (£75) but mine is still going strong 4 or 5 years in. USB charging was a revelation for me when I got it. No faff with batteries. Great runtimes. Can fully immerse in water apparently. I have not checked this but mines seen some awful conditions and never missed a beat.

Just checking their site the current model is completely different to mine, but looks good.

benp1

Isn’t that a bad place to put it in general? Covered in mud so it won’t work well anyway?

Mine is on my seat stay.

I wonder if a cateye volt 50 might work ok, the volt 300 I have is a good design

VanHalen

i`ve a cheapo £5 smart light and a lezyne femto.

I’ve tried copius other varients from other manufacturers but i’ve yet to kill these. the smart is ancient (on backpack) and the femto 2 yrs old (on bike). commute in all weathers all year round

amedias
    Free Member

no mudguards

fit some?

as a side benefit to keeping your light dry they would also help keep you dry!

TiRed

Cateye Rapid mini. Works submerged in a glass of water. USB rechargeable. Lots of mounting options.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield. The

Bez

You ride a bike to work and back every day and you don’t have mudguards?

SimonR

Exposure Flare has survived two winters of commuting – just about to start it’s third. That’s a record for me 🙂

benp1

Good point. My seat stay is where it goes on my winter MTB (plus an Exposure Redeye Micro)

My commuter has one on the back of the rack, one on the rack upright, one on my rack bag, one on my jacket, and one on my helmet! It runs full mudguards (all the way through the year, it still rains in the summer!)

luketracey

HaHa, knew you guys couldn’t leave the mudguard thing alone, yep all year.

Thanks for the advice, gone for Lezyne Zecto, like the fact ill have to use the switch less as switches seem to be the problem with me.

Bez

HaHa, knew you guys couldn’t leave the mudguard thing alone, yep all year.

Well, it would save you having to buy new lights 🙂

(And keep you drier and warmer, and help your drivetrain last a little longer…)

imn

I’ve got a SeeSense like Soma, which has been good, but I think their new
    Icon model would be better if you can bear the unnecessary ‘smart’ features. Claimed IP67 rating, and well protected USB charge port covered by plug and facing seatpost surface.

MoreCashThanDash

My See Sense is proving very reliable. Too clever for it’s own good, but great light.

Oh, and mudguards, obviously.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ mudguards of any form have no place on any proper bicycle, sorry. They look lame and sad. Except on my commuter, which is a crappy 1986 Raleigh shopper and has metallic blue painted steel ones, which look ace. Eye of the beholder ‘n’ all.

TimCotic
    Free Member

CLINGFILM? 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Winter Proof Rear Light’ is closed to new replies.