Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Winter Gloves
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Specialized sub-zero. Layered for your comfort 🙂
    And Cyclestore are selling the ’09s for £20 at the moment. I might get a second pair for when the first ones wear out.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Endura Strike gloves? Got great reviews in the mags.

I’ve got some Endura Strikes and they are great down to about 4 or 5 degrees C. Below that and my hands freeze. I was out for 4 hours in about minus 3 yesterday, wore the Strikes underneath some cheapo thinsulate gloves & my hands were still cold. Strikes are great for autumn & spring cold morning/evening riding, but definitely not 4 season.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Thanks pedalhead, thats the sort of thing I wanted to know. I haven’t got great circulation and as such my fingers tend to suffer quite easily. Will try something else.

midlifecrashes

Chibas were good for me last year, but they’ve gone AWOL on me. I did go a size up to allow for an extra liner though on coldest days.

gamo
    Free Member

Anybody used sealskins and the chibas, i have sealskins and warm/dry as they are i end up with wet sweaty hands so wondering if this is the case with the chibas or do you stay warm and dry?

gamo
    Free Member

Also got endura dexters which are great for down to about 0 but no good below that! not waterproof either.

Frankers
    Free Member

gamo – Member

Anybody used sealskins and the chibas, i have sealskins and warm/dry as they are i end up with wet sweaty hands so wondering if this is the case with the chibas or do you stay warm and dry?

Yes i use Chiba’s and Sealskinz

At around 10 to -2.0deg Chiba gloves don’t get too sweaty, I only use my Sealskinz gloves when it’s really cold (-5deg ish)

The Chiba gloves are quite soft and give a much better feel on the bars.

Also the rain-protect gloves which are bit cheaper will be fine as a winter glove.

Frankers
    Free Member

Just checked Chiba catalogue

Drystar listed as -10 to +10

Rainprotect -5 to +10

redthunder
    Free Member

My Aldi ones are working fine.

sc-xc

this morning, I wore a thin pair of asics running gloves, with sealskinz winter gloves over the top. Only a 40 minute ride to work, but my thumbs were in agony. Took about 20 minutes for them to warm up.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I liked the idea of the lobster, I just can’t get on with using two fingers on the brakes. Two just won’t go comfortably, and remaining two can’t hold the bar properly.

I almost gave up till I found these last night for single finger braking. (Tredz). -Perhaps now I’ll get 1 cold finger not 4 😕 Ordered a pair.

karnali
    Free Member

which to go for then chiba drystar 27 or spec sub zero 23?

cookeaa

Aldi “Biking” Jobs here, brilliant VFM and function got some last year still going strong, spotted another pair last month when in there so I now have 2 pairs, wearing them all the time at the minute, pretty good in the wet finally reach saturation after about 2 hours, great in the cold/snow we had earlier in the year 4-5 hour rides my hands were toasty…

the “Gel” palm and sensible cut fingers give a good balance of feel and insulation for riding…

Only the logo lets them down, but then only those not “in the Know” will take the piss…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I’ve got Endura Deluge glves which are waterproof and were only slightly chilly at -5 today.

Unpicked the seam and removed the stupid gel below your fingers though, that just ruined the feel on the bike.

Nobby

Second the Pearl Izumi Cyclones & a liner – remained toasty on both Sat & Sun rides.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sealskinz extra cold weather gloves

superb bit of kit, hands in the wind were chilly for about 5 mins yesterday start off with, after that they had warmed up abit temperature was like a radiator all the way round in -10celcius, absolutly stunning warm fingers the remainder 3 hours….like i said my hands were cold when put them on, and for about the first 10 mins they still felt cold, once body temp got going they were supberd

oh and with a pair of sealskinz merino wool liners underneath…slightly bulky bit in no way affects braking/changing gears etc etc

clareymorris

I’m a big fan of Altura Night Vision gloves. I wear them all winter, night riding too……you just have to be a bit careful with the liner when you take them off. Not too bulky either.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I think I’ll be opening up the motorbike kit drawer for gloves to wear tomorrow, although there’s a pair of Mace Cryogens winking at me from the display opposite.

woffle
    Free Member

Another user of the sealskinz winter gloves here. Really come into their own when it’s properly cold (and / or wet) – it was subzero at the weekend and again this morning on the commute and I had toasty hands throughout. I’d recommend them though they can get sweaty when it’s not too cold and some people have problems with the linings coming loose and then being a pain to put back on.

cooie

What’s the cuff length like on the Chiba Drystars?

ton

my chiba drystar landed this morning.
    cuff length is 1” after my wrist bone, so quite long.
    they are a snuggish fit in the xxl, but in a nice way.
    we will see.

cooie

Cheers Ton
    Was gonna go xl, but not sure now you said xxl is snuggish fit.
    Do you reckon they come up smaller than say endura and altura?
    I’ve got quite big hands.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Aldi Winter cycling gloves are the most waterproof, warmest, comfiest winter gloves I’ve ever used. If you want something more waterproof you’ll need marigolds. They are ideal for playing in the snow.

boxelder

Had my new Chibas out around Whinlatter today – bulky, but warm – and the XXL feels like an XL.
    They passed the snowman/snowball test too.

cooie

Anyone know the dif between drystar and drystar 2? got 2s on ebay for £15.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

Second the Pearl Izumi Cyclones & a liner – remained toasty on both Sat & Sun rides.

like the look of these. did you go up a size on the cyclones to fit the liner gloves or are they roomy enough anyway ?

kjg123
    Free Member

661 storm watch for me, cracking glove but I think they’re discontinued. If anyone knows where to get some let me know.

darkgr33n
    Free Member

i ended up grabbing a pair of the craft siberian gloves and some icebreaker merino liners. hopefully they’ll help keep my fingers toasty as my dexters are no good at the moment. i do have some pearl izumi something-or-others, that aren’t bad in the cold, but its the old frustration of the inner coming out when you take your hands out and they are reasonably bulky.

Rich
    Free Member

Regarding the Aldi gloves, it is really easy to pick off the ‘Biking’ letters too, if you so wish.

Saviola
    Free Member

I have left the lettering on mine but a colleague managed to get his off OK. Think he picked them off but only after 1 started to peel off.

Just don’t use fire 🙂

I also have a pair of Altura Altitudes that do a good job, but not the greatest in the rain.

hainman
    Free Member

just nipped into tk maxx for a nosey and picked up a pair of tre-mate screamer nitro’s.not rode with them yet but been out clearing the drive and there mega toasty.got gel padding and for 16quid cant complain!!

ton

chiba drystar xxl are too small for my hands.

going on classifieds in a minute. 1 ride old

mc2
    Free Member

Was going to order Chiba Drystars in medium last night but Merlin had sold out – after reading previous posts I’ve ordered a large – hope they fit!!

spacemonkey

Endura strikes aren’t a bad glove, but they are NOT waterproof. Not bad at keeping your hand warm in chilly conditions but not when its cold. Not a bad glove but not brilliant. Hoping my gore ones are better

They’re not bad then?

chriswilk
    Free Member

Ton, do you reckon they’re small for XXL?
    I usually fit XXL ok and am a bit worried the Drystars may be too small.
    I tried the Sealskins winter ones in XL and they were just a bit small.
    The shop didn’t have XXL in stock 🙁

ton

chris……i do mate.
    i wear xxl in other gloves..these are too tight.

oxnop
    Free Member

I bought some Pro X pert WP on Saturday and they are ace – Best cold weather gloves i’ve had.

Like these Ace Gloves!

gamo
    Free Member

Just got a pair of Drystars in xl and sizewise come up the same
    as Sealskins, not worn outdoors yet but seem nice gloves.

neil853
    Free Member

spacemonkey many thanks for correcting my post and conforming to the singletrack pedantic stereotype 🙄

timothius
    Free Member

I bought the Drystars in size Medium and Small. Went for the Medium (sending the small back). Went on a ride yesterday with them and I was fine as long as I kept moving. If I stopped my fingers still got a tad cold, but nothing too uncomfortable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Winter Gloves’ is closed to new replies.