• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dexa.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Winter Boots for flat peddlers
  • dexa

Would love a pair of Northwave Celsius GTX boots, but they would not be ideal with my flat peddles. Does anyone have an alternative solution. I need all the advantages of the Northwave boot, waterproof cuff, breathability, and nice insulation and bike specific design.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shortcut

Pretty sure estate agents don’t need winter boots. I assume that is what you mean by a ‘flat peddler’.

creamegg
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I want but can’t find anything similar without getting them re-soled. Even considered SPD but winter is over so won’t be considering that further until next winter now

avdave2

I’ve settled for AM 41’s and Sealskinz which have done well through 2 winters of commuting off road which means they get wet and muddy every day. They do a pretty good job and it’s only when it’s raining hard that they need drying out.

creamegg
    Free Member

my 5 10’s have not been dry since October, and I’m not even exaggerating!

The only reason I wear sealskins is so that my feet don’t feel wet and cold as soon as I put my shoes on, because after a few puddles they’re next to useless too

SidewaysTim

Have a look at 45nrth Wolvhammer. There’s nothing warmer.

dexa

shortcut, quick off the mark. Foxton’s have been informed of your comment. Feel the force.

Northwind

THose Wolvhammers look awesome… I’m pretty happy with my sombrio X-shazams, they’re just a normal flat shoe with a high top, a reasonably waterproof shell, and decent warmth- basically after 1 ride in them I knew I’d not be happy in my 5 10s or am40s again in winter, you just realise how unsuitable they are.

creamegg
    Free Member

Have a look at 45nrth Wolvhammer. There’s nothing warmer.

I know it says not spd version so assume the image of the sole is the wrong type?

SidewaysTim

We have both options in stock. They do a flat sole and an spd version.
    I can’t wear mine unless it’s below zero though as my feet get too hot.

creamegg
    Free Member

do you have a link to an image of the flat sole type?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looking at that sole, you may as well just find a decent walking/approach shoe and wear that instead.

Are they really nearly two hundred quid as well?

I’ve tried these on flats and they weren’t bad;

However, if I was riding something that really needed grip, I’d be in warm socks, Sealskinz and my FiveTens.

dexa

Many Thanks guys. Just had a quick look at Wolverhamer , has a good sole for my type of ride. The Am41 is good but I’m looking for more of a boot. Thanks for all your Help.

creamegg
    Free Member

doesn’t look like a flat pedal sole to me 🙁

but at that price, its probably just as well

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could you get a pair of waterproof hiking boots from Sports direct, and have them re-soled with 5.10 rubber? Cuff wouldn’t be very waterproof though, unless you made some sort of neoprene gaiter from an old overshoe.

dexa

I had considered that, but the bulk of a hiking boot is very different from a bike specific boot. I am surprised that more of the bike Guys do not cater for us flat users.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bulk of a hiking boot is very different from a bike specific boot.

Not sure about that. The approach shoes above (on my feet now as it happens) are pretty much like any of my bike shoes in the upper, not any bigger/bulkier at all. A big hiking boot, yes, but many of the modern approach shoes out there are essentially toughened trainers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I am surprised that more of the bike Guys do not cater for us flat users.

most flat pedal shoes are worn around the trail centre car park and the cafe a bit. no need to change from the summer shoes.

Tracey

Mine work well and are mostly dry. Cheap Hitec gortex boots and five ten soles. Had them for a few years. Done at Feetfirst in Chesterfield

dexa

Tracey, I think this may be the route to go. I use 5.10s if its dry-ish, but in the winter, even with Sealskin’s I’m cold very soon and that’s just miserable. Chesterfield – is that the one with the twisted church spire?

Tracey

Yes thats the one. I use normal five tens when it dry

Stainypants

I use brasher lithium walking boots the sole seem to stick like glue to the peddles. Gortex lined so keep feet reasonably dry particularly with seal skins. Plus they are amazingly light, the most comfortable boots i’ve ever owned.

vinnyeh

Depends what you’re riding- whether you’re going to need to get off the bike and walk/push/pull/carry 🙂

I’m using MT91’s and sealskinz with flats, outstanding when you need to walk, good but not great in the gnarr, feet don’t quite seem to fall into the right place on the pedals without me thinking about it or having to adjust, unlike my AM’s. They’re a bit more mountain biking/a bit less trail centre, but still the best solution I’ve found for winter riding.

twang
    Free Member

Here’s my full-on winter boots, Salomon something or others with Stealth rubber soles. Suitable only for sub-zero temps though so not had much use this year;

dexa

Many thanks Guys. I ride mostly on or around Dartmoor, so a boot option is a must in the wet/snow season! 5.10 on a hike boot may the way to go. I appreciate all your wisdom.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Winter Boots for flat peddlers’ is closed to new replies.