Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • $1m Fatbike anyone…
  • takisawa2

😯

Mukluk

This bike is handcrafted and overlaid with pure 24K gold. Using modern day techniques and taking well over 750 hours to complete, each part was coated to perfection in the USA using the electroplating process. 13 of these bikes will be made for you sheiks, princesses and heiresses. Added for accent and beauty, the diamonds and sapphires are pave’ set on the frame emblem bearing The House of Solid Gold logo, “THSG” is embellished and encrusted with over 600 Black Diamonds (6.0 carats in total) and 500 Golden Sapphires (4.5 carats in total). The one of a kind customized seat is covered in the finest chocolate brown alligator. The one of a kind water bottle is covered in gold and accented with chocolate brown stingray. Finally, the bike is laser engraved with artist signature, dated and numbered as the 1st of 13 and is accompanied with a certificate of authenticity.

parkesie
    Free Member

C3PO wants his bike back.

bencooper
    Free Member

The saddle looks a bit limp. Is that an artistic comment on the kind of person who would buy such a thing?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

BB5s!?
    Count me out.

birdage

Think they’re BB7s. Reconsider?

bearnecessities

SLX cassette?! XT shifter? They’re clearly not serious about saving weight..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

birdage – Member
    Think they’re BB7s. Reconsider?

Duh! Well obviously now I know that. 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

would have looked better in chrome

PiknMix
    Free Member

Reminds me of my gold edition Raleigh burner, but worse!

twoniner
    Free Member

Looks a bit ‘Big fat gypsy wedding’.

oldnpastit

What kind of society have we created where there are at least 13 people with so much money to flaunt on such pointless ugliness?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Are they trying to reduce the cost by selling it with low spec components? 😯

maxtorque

Frame emblem bearing The House of Solid Gold logo

The only slight ironing being that it ain’t actually solid gold, it’s plate…….. 😉

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

nikk
    Free Member

Tacky nonsense, bullshit build, cynically created to separate idiotically wealthy sheiks sons from their pocket money.

ndthornton
    Free Member

How tatty is that going to look after a few rides and the gold starts to scratch off

jkomo

It hasn’t even got liquid brakes.
    Ahm oot.

andyrm
    Free Member

For all those complaining about the cost and who might buy it….. who cares!! Apply the standard filter:

– Can the owner afford it?
    – Does it bring them pleasure?

Those are the only 2 questions that matter.

HendyTreker
    Free Member

Could’ve specced something better than an Alivio crank!

Lionheart
    Free Member

I find it a bit sad!

stuey
    Free Member

“Rear tyre/valve – oh dear”

Q: – is that chain device on right?

aracer
    Free Member

Bling or ming?

boxfish
    Free Member

Liberace’s Snowbike

itstig

80% of profits to go to an organisation associated to the church of scientology 😯

nikk
    Free Member

Bike = £2000
    Wages at a large £50 an hour * 750 hrs = £37500
    Gold plate at 15 millionths of an inch = approx 10 grams of gold = £170
    Sundries lets say a generous £10000

= total of £49670, call it 50 grand.

Mark it up, lets say 100 grand.

STILL way under the asking price.

For all those complaining about the cost and who might buy it….. who cares!! Apply the standard filter:

– Can the owner afford it?
    – Does it bring them pleasure?

Those are the only 2 questions that matter.

So no one has the right to question the price of anything? I don’t agree. My criticism is not the cost of the thing, but the VALUE. That is, the value of the object is far below what it is trying to be sold for. The whole ‘solid gold’ thing is nonsense, as I have shown, the value of the gold on that bike is vanishingly small… so what are we left with? An average bike that has had too much time spent on it putting a gold plating on it that will wear off in the first ride and render the “object d’art” a scruffy mess. So what is it really? A showpiece to impress the neighbors? Lets hope they know tack when they see it. An investment? I don’t believe so at all.

andyrm
    Free Member

My criticism is not the cost of the thing, but the VALUE.

But here’s the rub – value is entirely subjective isn’t it, as we all know as MTBers? To a non-rider, a £5k bike with carbon frame, 6-7″ travel and only 11 gears seems bad value.

To a non-oil sheikh, this bike or a chrome plated Veyron might appear poor value by the same count.

It’s all relative.

I guess I just dislike the way people complain about rich men’s toys. If they’ve got the cash to enjoy them, let them.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Liberace? Looks more Bobby George to me.

nikk
    Free Member

here’s the rub – value is entirely subjective isn’t it

No, I don’t agree. Value for a new, reproducible object can be objectively reached by costing it out.

One could argue that this bike is a ‘limited edition’, but apart from the ‘artist’ signing their name on it (Who? Will that add value?), the value of that bike is about £2200 plus labor.

To a non-oil sheikh, this bike or a chrome plated Veyron might appear poor value by the same count.

A chrome plated Veyron at least starts with a top class car.

This bike is the equivalent of a gold plated Nissan X-trail.

I guess I just dislike the way people complain about rich men’s toys. If they’ve got the cash to enjoy them, let them.

I don’t have a problem with rich boys toys. I do have a problem with nasty tat cynically churned out and punted as ‘solid gold art’, when it is anything but.

user-removed
    Free Member

Erm, am I the only one here who suspects this may be a joke, with a view to marketing possibilities through social media? Can’t be real, surely.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘$1m Fatbike anyone…’ is closed to new replies.