Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Winter Bib options?
  • cookeaa

Roadie related mostly:

I was going to order some DHB Vaeon Roubaix Bib tights a couple of weeks ago, but one way and another I didn’t get round to it, had a look last night and discover they’d gone back up to ~£50 (they were a tenner less when I looked before I think), fair enough but now my size (Medium) is out of stock, then I noticed the 3/4 leg equivalent, which are in stock in a medium and cost a wee bit less (cos you don’t get a whole pair of legs), my thinking is I might try combining these with a pair of legwarmers during the colder period, doubling up the coverage of my knees (which do feel the cold more anyway), and then come early spring / Autumn I’ll have a pair of reasonably warm 3/4 bibs with built in knee warmers…

Is this a good idea or will I just cook myself and wish I’d bough the full leg bib tights?

Any Alternatives around the same price point? I want something for winter commuting use as well as grinding out some miles at the weekends between now and spring, needs to have a reasonable pad…

sandwicheater

I’ve a pair of dhb full legs and 3/4 and all but the coldest rides the 3/4 are fine. I am super rock hard though.

zilog6128

I was looking at these yesterday as well. Cycle Surgery have some Sugoi ones on sale at the moment at the same price point, no idea what they are like though other than it is a decent brand.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Just got myself a set of lovely warm bib tights from decathlon. Reduced from £65 to £50 in store…

TiRed

Down to about zero I ride 3/4 length roubaix with some long merino socks tucked up underneath to keep the calfs warm. When it gets properly cold I switch to my Pearl Izumi windproof thermal bibs. These were not cheap, even in the sale, but are good to almost any sub-zero temperature.

The 3/4’s are very versatile. Chrome long merino socks or M&S merino are my choice. Good when wet and ridden on and off road with overshorts.

fasthaggis

I needed another set of 3/4 s and tights ,so just went for the padded tights this time.

Wiggle have medium

cookeaa

Unfortunately I know all too well that I’m not even regular rock hard, let alone super I’m already coveing up as much as I can, up until a couple of weeks ago I was OK in regular bibs and some knee warmers, now I’m using my full leg warmers and three layers on my top half, This morning I was feeling the cold a bit more, cue thicker jacket, buff over the ears and donning of the winter gloves, 95% of me was lovely and warm, the most notable exception being my frozen todger… I need some better tights now I think…

@TiRed – That is a very good idea! I’d not even considered just using a decent pair of long socks for Calf coverage, but it makes pretty much perfect sense… [/doffs cap]

Hmmm, my mouse pointer is hovering over “Buy” on those 3/4 bibs now…

GrahamS

I wore the 3/4 length dhbs Roubaix commuting all through last winter in snow and ice.

They come to mid-calf on me. Combine them with some of their calf-high winter socks and there really isn’t that much leg exposed.

onandon
    Free Member

I just picked up some mavic inferno bib tights. They are really well made but not had a chance to test them yet.
    If they are anything like my inferno jacket they will be suburb.

Cycle surgery have them on offer at the moment – I’m a uk M which is an international L

GrahamS

the most notable exception being my frozen todger… I need some better tights now I think…

I wear a pair of baggies over the tights.

I’m sure that is a faux pas but it keeps out windchill (keeping lil’Graham snug and my core warm) plus it stops the tights getting all muddy and means I have pockets.

cookeaa

@fasthaggis – I had spotted those “Vaeon Reflex” but I want some variant of the “Vaeon Roubaix” the Reflex’ are pretty similar, same cut and roubaix lined, plus the 3M bits, but they have a “Race” pad where the others have a “Giro” pad, I hope to be able to use these for longer rides as well as commuting so a comfier Pad and costing a tenner less just edges it for me – 3/4 Vaeon Roubaix’ ordered…

Cheers all.

onandon
    Free Member

Just popped to halfords to take a look at their sportful bibs reduced to £35.
    For the money they are ace

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using Mavic Equipe bib’s for a few weeks now nice quality and comfy, I may get some Inferno’s for when it gets colder.

parkesie
    Free Member

Funkier kit from merlin is great value have the shorts and some full lenfth winter bibs.

mav12
    Free Member

having never had a pair of tights or bibs usally just use ronhills whts the advantage of bibs just looking at the funkier range on merlin

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I tend not to get bibs with padding and wear bib shorts underneath, that way you don’t have to wash the tights every time you’ve been out

ashfanman
    Free Member

I tried a pair of the Vaeon full-length tights. They’re surprisingly nice for the money (as I find most DHB kit to be), but ended up going for a pair of Lusso Max Repels as they fitted me better – they come up really nice and long in the leg, which is important when you’re 6’6! Handmade in the UK too. 🙂

As mentioned above, padless with bib shorts underneath works well for me.

I know you didn’t ask, but in terms of other winter kit, I find the Lusso tights with bib shorts, a baselayer, Gabba jersey, Nanoflex armwarmers and DHB neoprene overshoes a pretty faultless combo.

EDIT: The Lusso tights are £49.95 at Chain Reaction at the moment: Link.

parkesie
    Free Member

I find bibs comfier as they dont move around fall down get eaten by your arse etc. another + for winter bibs is they keep your lower back covered and warm.

legend
    Free Member

thanks to this thread I now realise that I’ll probably be extra-small in DHB gear……. that’s not embarassing at all 🙁

coopersport1
    Free Member

Nothing better IMO
    Primal Wear

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

tthew

Aldi have some in their special buys next week. Possibly 30 quid well spent for the winter commute.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Winter Bib options?’ is closed to new replies.