Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wingnut packs – as good as people say?
  • s8tannorm
    Free Member

Since seperating my shoulder last year I find that riding with a 'normal' pack can be a pain so was wondering if a Wingnut might be a good option.

A Hyper 2.5 looks like it might fit the bill, so has anyone got one and what do you think?

Cheers
    Stuart

Dave
    Free Member

Been riding with one for a year now, I'm not going back. Better centre of gravity, cooler back, easy to grab stuff out of "wing" pockets etc etc

matthewlhome
    Free Member

yup they are. got one in april and it is ace. sits nice and low, doesn't move about and takes the weight better. the wing pockets are one of the best things though, as dave says being able to get stuff from the pack without taking it off is so much easier. I have a hyper 3.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Get a 3.0-Cant fit a full sized (full) bladder in the 2.5.Otherwise yes.

hicksville
    Free Member

I have had one for 4 years the adventure one great but can cut in if you over fill……….and i have done

flatfish
    Free Member

hey stu, where you planning on getting that from? does the holey trail stock them?

PJ266
    Free Member

Summit cycles in Aberystwyth just got some new stock in so I would guess the holey trail has some. Ive been using a 2.5 for a year now and its been excellent, Im using a 3 litre camelbak bladder, you just cant fill it all the way up.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I've seen 'em in the Holy Trail before but I haven't been in for a while. ukbikestore seem to have them in stock though.

Stuart

sheldona
    Free Member

They're fantastic! And we've got £200 worth of them to give away at the SSEC 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

Stuart, bith myself and Stu have them. We're also out your way on Sat for a few days if you want to try it?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Are you bothying Sheldon?

sheldona
    Free Member

Nah, theres 4 of us in a cottage and Amanda and Stu in a bunkhouse.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Is that in Mach' or further south?

MrAgreeable

I have it on good authority that you can fit a 16-pint micro-keg into one. 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

The cottage is 5 mins from Mach the other side to you and the bunk house is in Mach

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got the MPS Alpha pack and used it for night riding, two day bivvy/bothy trips, guiding in the Alps and commuting. Going to get a Hyper 3 as a 'grab and go' bag for shorter rides. Few minor niggles (no pump port is my main one) but the stability and weight distribution makes riding with a regular rucksack just feel – well – wrong. Very very good.

Not cheap mind, but very very good.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Recently bought a Wingnut 3.0 after owning a Camelback Mayhem and Blowfish. They're really comfy, much nicer to carry about than the Camelbacks. Would recommend…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

The weight seems to be on the lower back with the wing nut, my Camelbak Hawg give me lower back pain, does the wing nut prevent this or is the weight more evenly distributed.

singlespeedstu

*Laught at another potential Cock n Balls wearer* 😉

BTW.

We're stopping at Tegids place.

bonesetter
    Free Member

As it appears the Wingnuts are not niche anymore, and seeing Sheldon & Stu with them the weekend I am looking at one.

When I have considered them in the past I have always thought them too big and more suitable for the epic 'pack a kettle' ride rather that the local bimble…??

singlespeedstu

Nige.

you need the hyper 3 like mine.

Wokboy has the bigger one as he can't ride for more than a mile without stopping for Ginsters Energy Pasties. On a big ride like yesterdays that's 35 pasties he needed room for…

CheesybeanZ

and he was still at the back 😛

MrNutt
    Free Member

does your bum look big in it?

bonesetter
    Free Member

😆

Surprising how much you learn about someone from just one ride when they've got a good mate with them ripping the piss… 🙂

I'll look at the hyper 3, cheers stu

sheldona
    Free Member

Ah **** off……………..

😉

singlespeedstu

You **** loves it. 😀

sheldona
    Free Member

Sailor!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The weight seems to be on the lower back with the wing nut, my Camelbak Hawg give me lower back pain, does the wing nut prevent this or is the weight more evenly distributed.

Was that a question?

If it was, then I'm not a physio so couldn't possibly answer definitively whether it'll cure your back problems or not.

However, personally I think that the weight it better distributed – it's supported by your core muscles and hips, as opposed to your back, so potentially it could help with your back pains especially if they are caused by your back taking the full weight of your current rucksack.

13thfloormonk

I think they're great, I use mine for multi day trips and it holds everything I need with the exception of my sleeping bag, which I put under the handlebars.

Mine wasn't very stable until I threaded an extra strap through it, a five second job which meant I could jump and play on the bike even when I was carrying 4 days camping gear.

My shoulders do end up a bit tender though, I've been thinking about padding the shoulder straps a bit more to prevent this. Also, the bags are built lightweight, and the zips have burst open once or twice when I've overstuffed. So long as you're careful not to stuff them to bursting (hence the sleeping bag under the handlebars) you should be fine.

sheldona
    Free Member

When my Enduro is full it weighs a fair bit but once wearing it all the weight seems to go and the shoulder straps become loose.
    I've not had a bad lower back since getting rid oft HAWG for the Wingnut.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Ta … me thinks I'll be investing 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wingnut packs – as good as people say?’ is closed to new replies.