Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Windows XP and Open Office Pro
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Two questions from a computer illiterate.

The harddrive on my Laptop expired a few weeks ago. I bought a replacement but needed to get replacement software (the laptop came as part of my redundancy so I had no program disks).

So I bought off the ‘Bay an unused/new copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 – it turn out to be an OEM version from Dell labelled up as Reinstallation CD.

I keep getting the ‘BSD’ with references to programme issues. As the hard drive was blank have I used the wrong version of XP?

Secondly, does anyone use Open Office Pro instead of Windows Office? What’s it like?

The reason I ask is that I am tempted to just pony up and get Windows 7 for my PC and Laptops and then use Open Office Pro for word processing etc… I use AutoCAD so need a Windows based system – Although I prefer / am used to XP.

Hairychested
    Free Member

OO if fine most of the time. Power Point users complain about it though.
    Windows – no idea. I ditched it some time ago as I had enough of viruses, trojans etc.

Cougar

it turn out to be an OEM version from Dell labelled up as Reinstallation CD.

Was it a genuine disc or a CD-R?

If the latter, all bets are off, it could be anything.

What’s the make and model of the laptop?

When it bluescreens, what’s the error?

mk1fan
    Free Member

It’s a genuine copy not a CD-R.

The laptop is a Compaq NX7010. I’m confident that the hardware is fine – the RAM and HD are new – there weren’t any issues before the HD stopped .

There are several error codes when it bsd’s.

kmixer.sys – Address
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    BAD_POOL_CALLER

Are a few examples.

Cougar

Run Memtest off a live CD before you go any further.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Software for Students is the best bet for Windoze. £30-odd for Win7 Pro. Office is £38 I think, but that will do for 2 PC’s.

Do the job righyt, and it will make things easier.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OO is fione for almost everything i use it
    i have a version of word you can have
    it will come on a cd-r though

bigjim

Blue screen indicates driver errors, you need to get thelatest drivers for your motherboard/graphics/sound cards from their respective websites, best go to the laptop manufacturer site for a start and get latest drivers for your model. install them after windows and before anything else ideally. If you are installing a Dell cd onto a non-dell lappy you might be installing dell drivers which won’t help things.

open orifice is OK but if you are used to the way excel works, calc will be a nightmare as they use different way of working with formulas etc. I’ve also found formatting issues with docs made in Word when opened in OO.

mk1fan
    Free Member

After loading XP I loaded up the – supposedly – current drivers for the hardware. Although I did assume that the list of hardware was complete.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Windows XP and Open Office Pro’ is closed to new replies.