Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • windows 7 software compatability
  • scrappy
    Free Member

Recently purchased new laptop with windows 7 professional (64 bit). I was told that i'd be able to run all my existing windows xp software but when I tried to install autocad a message popped up saying cannot run on this operating system. I tried installing in the compatability mode but same message popped up. The autocad disk is a copy (i.e. not legitimate), but worked on my xp. Can't afford to buy a genuine copy to use on my personal laptop. Does anyone know if copied software will run on windows 7? Thanks

dan1980
    Free Member

It shouldn't matter if the software is legal or not.

Which version of Autocad are you trying to use? If it's reasonably old, you may find that it's just not compatible with Windows 7

scrappy
    Free Member

it's 2009 version but not sure if it's 32 bit or 64 bit (not sure if that would make a difference to installing it anyway)

Cougar

Chances are that it's an old version and W7 compatibilty was released in a patch. But with a hooky copy your patching options are probably limited. Could be that you need the x64 version instead, of course.

Do you -need- Autocad? Anything here fit the bill legitimately?

http://www.rorise.com/design/2d-3d-cad-software/

Cougar

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=9240617&id=14056350&siteID=123112

"Autodesk does not officially support 2009 and older versions of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT on Windows 7."

scrappy
    Free Member

thanks Cougar, that would make sense as to why I cant run 2009 on my windows 7. Looks like i'll have to splash out £4 on another dodgy copy. I have to have autocad as that what they use in work and all my existing work is produced in autocad. cheers for your help

Cougar

Surely if you need it for work, they should be providing you with a copy?

scrappy
    Free Member

i've got a legal copy on my work computer but it's handy to have it on my laptop and I use it for some private jobs

chvck
    Free Member

Can you use windows XP mode? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Might help, not sure how well it works as I don't have the required hardware to use it.

scrappy
    Free Member

haven't tried that yet but was intending to give it a go tonight

woody2000

Have you got an XP install disc? You could always install VirtualPC or similar, then install XP as a VM to run AutoCAD on.

scrappy
    Free Member

yeah i've got copy of xp, and I was going to try that tonight

soma_rich
    Free Member

Install XP as a virtual machine and run it in that. You wont get the benefits of 64bit stuff but will be a load faster than on your XP laptop.

scrappy
    Free Member

Why wont i get the benefits of 64 bit if my xp and software is 64 bit?

eoin
    Free Member

I've got Autocad 2006 running on windows7 32bit using compatibility mode (xp I think).

It told me its not compatible and some components might not function correctly but I've not found any problems yet.

Are you sure the problem isn't with it being 64bit?

scrappy
    Free Member

i think it is 64 bit copy ot autocad but could be wrong. will check tonight but thought it was possible to tun 32 bit stuff on 64 bit but not vice versa, albeit with loss of performance associated with 64 bit

enfht
    Free Member

As above, XP Mode is your solution

I had a similar problem with Win7 x64 using a certain brand of VPN software

scrappy
    Free Member

will try tonight. is it easy to install?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘windows 7 software compatability’ is closed to new replies.