Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Will the electric Mini make it?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

What will power hover cars? Or the boats we’ll all need when sea levels rise?

collinstiffee
    Free Member

you could use tethered salmon in an open ended cylinder. water in at one end, picture of attractive female salmon as incentive, very fast water out of the other. I wonder if I can patent that?

ahwiles
    Free Member

elliott-20 – Member

Simple maths of how much it takes to ‘fuel’ a house for a day, compared to that of charging a car and it’s evident.

An average uk house uses about 10kWh of energy. The mini uses 28kWh for full charge. That’s an additional 2.8 houses of electricity you are using to charge your brand new electric car each night just so you can pop to the shops and back because that’s all you are able to do.

who’s feeling a bit grumpy and needs a hug?

the mini uses 28kwh for a full charge, that’ll last me a week (100miles).

28kwh would cost me … £2.80 (10p/kwh)

100 miles in my 45 mpg diesel car would cost me … … £13.13 (£1.30 / litre)

simple maths 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

No one has come up with an answer to the obvious problem. There are too many people demanding too much energy from a very limited and mostly non renewable supply.

So ration the supply and reduce the demand by reducing the population. Reduce the population by reducing conception until its at a level the rescources can support.

miketually
    Free Member

Based on the figures I could find, the Passat produced about 206kgCO2 on it’s 1500+ journey. The mini on the same distance would use produce about 192kgCO2.

Do quoted car CO2 levels reflect the entire CO2 output, from drilling, transporting and refining the oil?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I doubt it. They just tell you what comes out of your exhaust pipe.

So ration the supply and reduce the demand by reducing the population

Always a great idea, but no one ever offers to go first….

great post on the last page collin

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do quoted car CO2 levels reflect the entire CO2 output, from drilling, transporting and refining the oil?

No

You also need to look at pollution / energy consumption in manufacture and disposal asd average lifespan.

On that bsis volvo amazon / landrover defender comes out well as they have long life

elliott-20
    Free Member

who’s feeling a bit grumpy and needs a hug?

Yeah I get grumpy, but only when people are down right belittling. Why you offering free hugs? 😉

As TJ said, no. But neither is the entire CO2 output worked out in the same way for EV’s. Also the Passat to Mini comparison is a bit skewed. To compare would be better to use an equivalent Polo or something.

However, straight back into the Hydrogen corner, this was posted this morning:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/mercedes-kicks-off-f-cell-world-drive-circumnavigating-the-glob/

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Will the electric Mini make it?’ is closed to new replies.