• This topic has 114 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Will my son be able to do his homework on an iPad?
  • BlobOnAStick

Oh lordy – this might be another apple Vs windows debate…..

We need to get a second computer in the house as both kids will soon have more homework than I ever imagined they would have and I don’t want the arguments which will inevitably occur when they both need to use the one computer at the same time (it will happen – I’m stunned at how much is being dished out!)

My son’s birthday is coming up and he has said he wants an iPad (my immediate reaction: ‘Ha! No way jose!’) but on reflection (and comparing prices of laptops with windows home and a base iPad) would this solve the problem of dual homework pile-up? Can you reliably construct word-, excel- and powerpoint- type documents on an ipad?

Any thoughts on this would be greatfully received – but please don’t descend into a slanging match between OS types!

leffeboy

Can you reliably construct word-, excel- and powerpoint- type documents on an ipad?

No. And if any of the homework sites are flash based then you are stuffed as well

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can … But you would be making his life very hard…..

Ive done some adjustments to powerpoints and word docs…. Screw actually making one up on it !

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Use google drive

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flash is dead

allthepies
    Free Member

Google docs will allow you to create word, excel and powerpoint style documents.

allthegear
    Free Member

Some people (like me as it happens) find it completely okay to create documents using Pages on an iPad, others might not. It does all the most-used things you would expect.

One thing that might be worth understanding, though, is there is a great advantage to a parent in the “walled garden” closed nature of an iPad – you can properly control what is installed etc. This must be a big advantage.

Rachel

Edit – funny how those of us who actually use an iPad to create document on an almost daily basis seem to have a slightly different view on what the capabilities actually are… 😉

mark90
    Free Member

Have selection of devices in our house. Tablet is great for consuming/reading information. But for anything requiring input I reach for a laptop everytime.

seavers
    Free Member

I don’t think you can edit word doc’s on an ipad. May be a work around but it is one of the many things that put me off them.

I like some Apple stuff but am no fan boy…the only thing I have is an imac but it’s 4 years old and will building a PC next time round.

If you are after pure functionality for a decent price get him the best laptop you can find for £400. (price of basic ipad)

ipads are cool for sure but be savvy and get what is right for you.

shakers
    Free Member

Unless they get told to play Angry Birds for an hour then download the free X-Factor App I’d steer clear. It’s not really suited for this use IMO.

druidh
    Free Member

If you want him to concentrate on the content of the homework and not the mechanics of the device he is doing it on, simply buy a windows laptop.

The new Windows Surface tablet might offer a good compromise when available.

BlobOnAStick

anything requiring input I reach for a laptop

What about an external keyboard for the ipad, would this make input any easier?

steveoath
    Free Member

You can create docs well on iPad (I don’t own one, but a quick google yields instant results!).

Also, there are and this looks like it does the “laptop” thing for easier typing etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

trail_rat, I beg to differ. 🙂

Oh, sorry…..

Flaperon

If the school ever starts using something like Moodle he’ll be stuffed when it comes to using the iPad.

They’re a gimmick for any serious document creation.

seavers
    Free Member

Genuine question for the ipad users. If I retrieve a word doc from say my email account can I view it, make changes then send a word doc to the sender?

leffeboy

If you want him to concentrate on the content of the homework and not the mechanics of the device he is doing it on, simply buy a windows laptop.

That. We have both at home. The kids never reach for the iPad to do their homework even though they could. It is too painful for the stuff they are doing

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha flash

I dont dispute you can create them but its not natural at all.

An external keyoard would go a long way but still less than ideal.

Pages and numbers seem fairly limited in their capibilities compared to word and excel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seaver pages will do it

seavers
    Free Member

Thanks for the info trail rat.

BlobOnAStick

Right. That seems to be fairly conclusive. Laptop it is then.

Thanks all!

hertz32
    Free Member

A decent laptop would work far better. My school is trying out a yr8 class with them and so far the study has shown… Epic Fail
    Not compatible with anything and the class has frequnt problems with theacher sanding word docs to the VLE to be completed and not a single child being able to open it. If everyone used Apple then we would be fine but they don’t beacause they are stupidly explensive for what they are! they start from £399. http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/top-laptops-20-best-laptops-in-the-world-706673?artc_pg=2
    may i point you in the direction of one of the above?

docrobster
    Free Member

Neither of my kids aged 11&14 would dream of doing homework in the iPad.
    They seem to use Microsoft publisher to produce documents. No idea if that is possible with the iPad. Also of course memory sticks, school virtual learning environment is outlook web app based, etc, etc.
    windows 7 laptop+1

hertz32
    Free Member

apologies for spelling, I’m not normally like this but for some reason i can’t write or type ATM.

unovolo
    Free Member

Its definetly possible to do homework on a iPad, office suites are available for ithingys.

Whether or not its more/as practical as a laptop is a different prospect,I would imagine using a seperate keyboard(Bluetooth) would make matters easier as the onscreen keyboard would take up valuable real estate especially when trying edit documents/spreadsheets.

However I would definetly take a iPad over a network for doing work on.

igrf
    Free Member

No 4 daughter got through last year using one, we bought a bluetooth keyboard case and it went O.K. but beware late night skyping with classmates.

This year however ‘they’ the school insisted on a proper PC laptop for GCSE year (she’s coming up 16 soon) there are local network based programmes she’s supposed to integrate with don’t ask me what or why they’re a bit behind the times and haven’t spotted the cloud just yet.

So, it depends I guess on how old he is, there are ‘office’ style apps, that can be swapped with a desktop and there is google drive, and iCloud, but the distraction factor of it being a gaming device can’t be ignored, nor the movie downloads, I bet she’s upstairs on it right now doing something she shouldn’t be…

Northwind

What do families with no computers do, out of curiosity?

druidh
    Free Member

Buy one

docrobster
    Free Member

What do families with no computers do, out of curiosity?

Homework at lunchtime/after school homework club?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Creating ‘word’ documents on an iPad isn’t an issue at all but much easier with a keyboard doc, excel type stuff is fine too – both using apple software. Presentations are okay too but given the choice I would rather do this type of work on a laptop or pc. iPad is great but for input stuff I’d choose a regular device.

sparksmcguff

He’ll be able to do his homework if he buys it through iTunes.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Not compatible with anything and the class has frequnt problems with theacher sanding word docs to the VLE to be completed and not a single child being able to open it

Umm pages opens word documents without any issues

midlifecrashes

Was in similar position, decided on laptop. Daughter decided netbook would be better for portability and battery life. Bought an ASUS 1025CE, very good so far, couple of weeks use.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I bought an ipad for work in class at sixth from to use along side my mac, get him a laptop or computer!!! I cant stress it enough. The upad will just serve as a distraction!

Its a pain in the arse to do any proper work on and it takes 5 times as longer! I only used it to watch videos and browse the net on the school’s wifi in the end.

Now i’m out of school I use it down the lifeboat station, as a portfolio for photography and i watch netflix in bed on it.

It was never designed to be a tool, you can et a decent spec’d laptop for the cost of one too! I use my ipad more now than I dd at school.

Its mostly just a gimmick and a toy unless you really need it for work, a school kid does not!

The only decent thing it dd was connect to the schools power point projector and let me do keynote presentations with it and piss all over powerpoint!

SO NO! GET HIM A LAPTOP!

If he gets the ipad it will be so easy to sneak into his school and then if he shows it off which is inevitable, it will get nicked or broken

SaxonRider

I have exactly the same decision to make with my own kids. I had almost settled on an Android tablet, but now the question is what small laptop or netbook for not a huge amount more than £200?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

No. Get an AirBook instead.

kennyp
    Free Member

Pages and numbers seem fairly limited in their capibilities compared to word and excel.

I’ve never used the Apple equivalents, but I reckon Word and Excel are now far more complicated than they need to be for the majority of users.

Grimy
    Free Member

Stick with a laptop. Very basic document editing is possible with an iPad, spreadsheets are a frickin nightmare. Don’t buy an iPad ffs. It’s good for surfing and email and **** all else.

Sent from my piece of **** iPad

BlobOnAStick

Get an AirBook instead

Are you living up to your name??!! £1k for my son’s birthday prezzie?

Edit: Oops, did you mean this? http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/fake-airbook-is-the-best-macbook-air-knock-off-yet/11849

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a generalisation but IPads and other tablets are great for viewing stuff. If you want to construct word, excel or powerpoint documents there are ways and means of getting what you want but it will invariably be slower than doing it on a laptop or desktop.

We have an IPad at home, it gets used every day and I’d not want to be without it but if there’s work or something that looks like work then i use a regular computer with a mouse and a keyboard.

No point making life difficult for him, get him a laptop, but get yourself an IPad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Will my son be able to do his homework on an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.