Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Will high rollers wire bead run tubeless on 819's ??
  • dale
    Free Member

will they ? have you done it and survived ?
    or is it stand in the corner with a pointy hat on time

glenh
    Free Member

It can be done.
    However, last time I did it the tire completely dismounted from the rim in a crash. I'm not sure which came first though, the crash or the tire dismounting (ie not sure which was the cause of the other), but I stick to tires with tubeless beads on UST rims these days.

GW
    Free Member

dual plys certainly will

grumm
    Free Member

Be fine with a rim strip

dale
    Free Member

does the rim strip just help with the initial inflate ?
    running them tubed as I have just built the wheels.They certainly take some getting on and off .Was thinking single ply.Might try the rear first,pressure wise around 30 psi

doug_basqueMTB.com

That's what the guys out here are running without issue. They're using a lot of sealant to get the initial 'seat' but then aren't having any problems. It's pretty damn rocky out here and a lot of them are very fast riders, ex moto/DH guys. I don't know the pressures they're running at, sorry. I don't run that but it's just due to using up the tyres I've got!

If you're worried about that what about a 'real' UST on the front and test that system out on the back?

My advice if you ride anything like fast anywhere near anything sharper than a spoon is to avoid LUST.

dale
    Free Member

doug-was hoping that was the case,trouble with real ust is cost, struggle to keep up with running costs(kids clothes food).Wire rollers=cheap.Riding mostly rocky with hard pack I suspect youre lot are easier on there tyres than my slower point pedal and hope method of riding 😐

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I've used dual ply minions and high rollers tubeless with a stans kit on non tubeless mavic rims. Initially needed an airline to seat it, and about 150ml sealant to seal the bead and tyre side Walls (the dual plys are still porous). Worked well, running about 25psi front and rear and took plenty of knocks with no flats or tyre damage, even when I put a 1"dent in an ex729 sidewall. Tyre was fine.

What was a problem was abrasion of the tyre sidewalls. Non tubeless tyres just don't have resistant enough sidewalls for longevity in rocky areas when run at the low pressures that tubeless allows. I was changing a tyre every 4 to 6 months as the sidewalls wore out as became so porous the tyre would not hold air.

grumm
    Free Member

I was changing a tyre every 4 to 6 months

How often do you normally change a tyre?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Not that often, it was gettng to the point where the tread was still ok, butthe threads were showing all round the sidewall of the tyre. When the threads wore through and the butyl insert was visible it was time to change the tyre.

dale
    Free Member

realy looking for info on the wire single ply on the 819's

glenh
    Free Member

Dale, if cost is an issue with high roller USTs, have a look at these:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-eskar-control-item124748.html

Similar design as the high roller/advantage (same designer I think), proper tubeless bead and hardly any more money than a wire bead HR.
    I use them on 819s and think they are great.

Oh, you can get 3 different sidewall ratings too, depending on how much weight vs toughness you want.

dale
    Free Member

glenh- WOW will have to give them some concideration the rollers have been spot on for local stuff, not much mud loads of rock and hard pack

mandog

Wirebead 2 ply HR works fine on 819's. No need for rim tape on 819's.

lyons
    Free Member

i have used single ply high rollers on bontrager tubeless rims. the only problem was they leaked air very slowly. I just topped it up at the start of a days riding. I do have some 819 rims though, so i will try to remember to try it tomorow for you. It should be fine though.

lyons
    Free Member

they were wire bead as well

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Will high rollers wire bead run tubeless on 819's ??’ is closed to new replies.