Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Wild Camping Anyone ! (advice needed)
  • grantway
    Free Member

Thinking of doing some Wild Camping next year, but only for weekend use.
    I know there are a few that Bivi on here
    So what Camping gear do you recommend

Lighter the better

Thinking of this tent Wild Country Zephyros Lite 2XL

Jet Boil for cooking but what one.

What Sleeping bag

What 45 + 10 rucksack

A good Jacket

Head Torch

Cheers guys

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Heard good reports on the Zephyros 2. I make do with cheap Hi Gear Soloista, looking to change the glass poles for alloy tho…

Alpkit make a couple of good headtorches for the money, have tried both, both work well, red led good for stealth/reading etc.

Sleeping bag – Carinthia Defence 4 season, hugely warm, quite hefty even in stuffsack, but never lets me down. Haven’t personally tried anything 4 season that is more compact so can’t compare

For company/backup I take the Trevor Bayliss-designed Freeplay Companion solar/wind up torch/radio/charger wonder gadget, wouldn’t do without it 🙂

Cougar

There was a thread very recently on the Zephyros, search for it. You can get the 2XL Lite for £50 less than that.

Cougar

Last weekend:

rene59
    Free Member

Why wait till next year? Get out there now, give it a try.

Wild Country Zephyros Lite 2XL
    Just get the normal Lite 2 one

Jet Boil for cooking but what one.
    None get a Mytimug with a 100g gas canister and Optimus Crux stove and Spork inside.

What Sleeping bag
    Something from Snugpak

What 45 + 10 rucksack
    Something that fits from Osprey

A good Jacket
    Montane Prism

Head Torch
    Alpkit or Petzl

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you go on your own don’t smoke weed just before lights out or you’ll get really paranoid that there is someone else up on Angletarn and they want you dead

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks guys for your help and that Link for the tent.
    Cougar that looks pretty cool, where was that !

LOL howsyourdad1 I have never taken the illegal type of drugs : )

Brilliant cannot wait to get going

Cougar

Cougar that looks pretty cool, where was that !

That was the Angle Tarn that howsyourdad1 was discussing. I can confirm that I didn’t see anyone trying to kill me, though it was a brown trouser moment when I got up in the dead of night for a wee and my head torch picked out the eyes of another camper’s dog.

Cougar

ION,

WRT to ‘jetboil,’ I got this and this:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-f1-lite-stove-p118554

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-backpack-cookset-p287230

… and cannot recommend them highly enough. Weighs nowt, and served me well on a fortnight’s car camping before I backpacked. Jetboils are expensive and relatively heavy.

Cougar

This was my thread before I did it, there may well be useful info for you there.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cougar-grylls

grantway
    Free Member

What 3 season sleeping bag can you recommend that packs down
    Also what about an inflatable matt ?

Thanks for you advice and links

Cougar

Mat is easy – Thermarest NeoAir. Silly money, but I got mine for almost half price at Decathlon.

Sleeping bags, good question, I’m in the market myself. I’ll post my shortlist after tea.

Cougar

Ah, this is what I got to.

Montane Prism.
    Rab Ignition 2.
    Mammut Alpine UL.
    Marmot Cloudbreak 30.

All £100 – £140. Can’t decide between them, open to suggestions.

Cougar

This is the NeoAir.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/therm-a-rest-neo-air-xlite-regular-p206784

I paid £70 for mine. It’s ace.

piemonster

NeoAir +1
    Montane Prism +1 (montane must have made a bomb on these, I see the everywhere)

rene59
    Free Member

I prefer the Thermarest Prolite over the NeoAir. It’s a bit heaver and doesn’t pack down as small, I just seem to get on better with it for some reason.

Cougar

Montane Prism +1

My primary reservation with the Prism is pack size, far as I can tell it’s double the size of all the others?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Never use a back pack if you want to cover the miles.

Hang your gear on your bike in frame and saddle bags.

If you’ve more gear than that you are travelling with too much gear.

Cougar

Christ, I’m supposed to pack a bike too?

(-:

rene59
    Free Member

Don’t know about the others but it packs up small enough in a drybag if you squeeze the air out and seal it. Just stuffed into it’s own pocket it makes an ideal bivi size pillow.

Cougar

You must have a Brompton or something?

grantway
    Free Member

LOL
    I found this Bio cooker But the wasted heat is meant to charge anything attached to the USB
    All I can think of is the heat is transferred through the copper/metal cable

BioLit camp stove

Thanks for that link for the Mat I have almost made a good list of equipment
    Cheers Guys

noltae
    Free Member

I like a 1 season synthetic bag – oversized to accommodate my down clothing accordingly – this is pretty much as good as it gets for British conditions – Exped Down Mat – quite heavy but it generates so much warmth you’ll save weight elsewhere.. Western Mountaineering Down Trousers are my fave piece of kit – Snowpeak Ti Solo Cookset is nice .. Bivy should be E – vent – breathable – Gortex ain’t good enough.. Shed loads of booze – I like good gin with apple and lemongrass .. Bubblgum Amsterdam cup Winner … Ok that’s enough that now 😉

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks for the info noltae
    I am trying to find a stockist with the Zephyros2 XL and the Hoolie 2
    as the Hoolie looks very roomy for if the Mrs/friend comes along

Does anyone have an Hoolie !

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wij9FPTYvZk[/video]

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for you input
    So far yesterday I bought the North Face Superhype jacket

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/client/images/catalogue/products/tnf3567rr/large/tnf3567rr.jpg

Had a chance to try it out this morning and all very good indeed

Gore tex waterproofing Active shell
    70 D rip stop
    Really warm and no wetting inside
    Pit zips are nice and long
    The hood is always a worry if not in all jackets, but with great adjustability the hood moves with you
    rather than your head moving and the hood stays put. And the peak which isn’t wire but shapes
    very well and if not better than a piece of metal as you don’t have to keep bending it back
    every time after you packed it away.
    And the jacket packs away in its own hood.

Does anyone have one of the Primus ETA cooking system’s !

houndlegs
    Free Member

Grantway, I picked up a zephyros 2xl lite in Cotswolds shop in Brecon if that’s any help to you. And they put it up in store so I could have a look.
    If you are anywhere near Brecon,Cotswolds are having a tent show on august bank holiday weekend up at the visitor centre near Libanus.

boblo
    Free Member

Montane Prism? 1.2kg for zero degrees performance you say? Gerraway, go and have a look at some proper l/w bags filled with down. Alpkit do cheap ones, PHD, Mountain Equipment, RAB etc do dearer ones. 600gms is easily achievable for a 1 season down bag.

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Houndlegs
    Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I am in London.

Was you able to see the new Zephyros side by side with the older one
    And can you put two Thermarest Neo Air Xlite mats side by side in the new Zephyros 2 XL tent

Cougar

Gerraway, go and have a look at some proper l/w bags filled with down.

Until you have an accident and it gets wet.

Cougar

(Wow, that was a bad turn of phrase. By ‘accident’ I mean getting caught in the rain without a drybag, or a leaky tent.)

peterfile
    Free Member

Until you have an accident and it gets wet.

Over 100 nights in my current bag and never come close to getting it wet enough to cause heat loss.

I wouldn’t say I look after my kit either. It goes into a drybag when I pack. Comes out the drybag when I’m in the tent. Goes back in the drybag before I get out the tent. I honestly struggle to see how and when people get their sleeping bags drenched 🙂

I’ve even been in a icy river at the start of a two night trip in December. Fell off a bridge (if you can call it that) near Duror bothy with my pack on. One of the few things to remain completely dry was my sleeping bag.

grantway
    Free Member

Just bought the Primus Eta Paclite cooking stove from Cotswold outdoor
    For just £55 Pounds

Grab a bargain Primus Eta Paclite £55

Here is a Primus review on the Paclite

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6ZAtM8lvw[/video]

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I picked up a dd hammock recemtly. Only 1 night and it’s awesome. needs a mat to keep bum warm and a tarp in case of rain, but is supergood fun. Acts as bivvi bag in the absence of trees

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with getting a couple of those for a while now. Can you link the model you’ve bought?

My only issue is that it presents the same problems as bivvying in bad weather… no where to cook, no where to get changed, no where to sort out kit etc…despite probably weighing not much less than a tent set up.

But still…immeasurably cooler 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

DD Hammocks
    Around 900 gr ex webbing, so about the same as small lightweight tent. You can drop the weight to around 650g by losing the net, but it’s fixed on mine. There is an optional net for hammocks without one.
    You’re right. Effectively, you’re bivvying – just off the ground so with all the disadvantages but with more comfort and style. that said, bear in mind that, by the nature of the kit, you’re most likely to be in woods when using this, so there is an element of protection.
    EDIT – just clocked there is a 270g superlight, non-net version

boblo
    Free Member

Bearing in mind where you do most of your stomping around Peterfile, I’d have thought tarps and bivvying were way down the list. It’s bad enough pitching in the midges let alone bivvying amongst them.

I just don’t get the tarps thing for the UK. By the time you’ve packed a bivvy bag and a tarp, you could just have well packed a light tent which is much more suitable for the weather we mostly get. Bivvy bags are great for post pub rolling about, tripping up Argies on Goose Green or keeping your down bag dry in really really shit multi day winter conditions. They’re not really for sleeping in 😉

footflaps

I honestly struggle to see how and when people get their sleeping bags drenched

Condensation! I’ve woken up shivering to find my down bag utterly soaked from condensation dripping off the inner sheet (TNF VE25 tent).

I now carry a tiny bivvy bag to protect the ME down bag (which pre-dates DWR pertex being used on Down bags).

Spin
    Free Member

I just don’t get the tarps thing for the UK. By the time you’ve packed a bivvy bag and a tarp, you could just have well packed a light tent which is much more suitable for the weather we mostly get. Bivvy bags are great for post pub rolling about, tripping up Argies on Goose Green or keeping your down bag dry in really really shit multi day winter conditions. They’re not really for sleeping in

+1 and yes I have tried. Repeatedly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Wild Camping Anyone ! (advice needed)’ is closed to new replies.