Fun vaccine side effects…

Home Forum Chat Forum Fun vaccine side effects…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fun vaccine side effects…
  • xcgb

Bit of a rush job

😯

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Today was a surprise Hep A and Typhoid, alternate arms. About 3hrs in and the ache seems to be going between the arms… any other fun stuff from these ones? Bit of a rush job so didn’t really cover side effects..

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Last time I had a set of jabs, a few days later I got a dead arm for about 2 days!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

yeah we covered the anything nasty parts (answer same as usual – but nicer than the actual disease) left arm is now the more achy, if only I could remember which arm got what. Next comes the fun of the Malaria drugs 🙂

klumpy

I don’t like needles, so I nominate someone else to go get the jabs and then sneeze on me.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

yep not a fan of the pointy things either, look the other way and jabber on about stuff.

aP

Years ago I had the Hep vaccine – it gave me temporary induced arthritis.

bikebouy

If your arm falls off, pick it up with the other one and hand it in to A&E 😉

Premier Icon keefmac
    Subscriber

with the malaria drugs make sure you are taking them before you go and after you come back, i think its for a month either side. also be wary if you get mefloquine/larium, one tablet a week with the possibility of some very nasty side effects. Doxycycline is once a day but wont turn you into a basket case.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

typhoid hurts and will do so for a while

hep a – you’re a big pansy

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

When I had a Hep A or B, can’t remember, I was as sick as a pike for about 3 days.

Yet another reason why I’m glad that I no longer travel with my job.

poah

Hep B is a course of 3 injections (liver infection), hep A is a gastrointestinal infection normally given once although you van get a booster after 6-12 months for longer immunity. you can get A&B combined or A with typhoid. you’d probably got the HepA vaccination

you can get typhoid as a capsule filled with live bacterium yuck – more likely to get the skits with that one lol

Japanese encephalitis vaccine I had in 3 doses in 2009 before a month long trip to Vietnam. A few days after final dose and a couple of days before my flight it gave me shingles. Marvellous.

johndoh

If you’ve had those jabs, I assume the destination will require you to take anti-malaria medication too.

If you choose Malarone (proguanil), time the tablets for mornings rather than evenings (unless you enjoy nights full of utterly mentalist dreams and nightmares.

😯

Murray

In the good old days there was only Gamma Gobulin for Hepatitis A. Top tip – don’t let the doc use a horse syringe to fill your arse muscle with GG before cycling home. Especially if you’re going to spend the next few weeks on a bike.

Moses

Getting Hep B shots is a good idea if you’re going anywhere nasty. The disease often results in liver cancer, a few years down the line. A mate of mine caught Hep B in Afghanistan in the late 70s, (the place was notorious) and suffered for months of pain & jaundice. Then about 5 years ago the cancer flared up. He lived for another 3 months. That’s not unusual 🙁

Premier Icon mattedd
    Subscriber

Doxycycline is fun if you get the skin sensitivity to light. Hundreds of tiny itchy as a bastard blisters.

Japanese encephalitis vaccine I had in 3 doses in 2009 before a month long trip to Vietnam. A few days after final dose and a couple of days before my flight it gave me shingles. Marvellous.

Correlation does not equate to causation. You might as well claim that the Jap. Enceph. vaccine led to cravings for Beef Pho.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Re anti-malarials, in the UK they tell you to take them but in Malarial countries they say don’t as they just mask the symptoms and delay you seeking treatment. They also don’t prevent you getting malaria. Pretty much every employee in our Nigerian office had has a 2 week stay in ICU with either Malaria, Typhoid, Denghi (sp) fever etc. Taking the anti-malarials etc seems to make no difference. It just seems to be an occupational hazard.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yep Hep A, skipped Rabbis as that one just delays getting to the doc.

Gone for the Malerone over the Doxy as i’m sensitive enough and you need less time after on it. Good tip on the mornings

toxicsoks

hep A is a gastrointestinal infection

Erm, bollox, I’m afraid. Hep A is an acute hepatic infection (the clue is in the name!) with gastrointestinal symptoms, amongst others. It’s most common vector is through contaminated, usually with infected faeces, drinking water. 🙄

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I was going to add that toxicsocks but I was a bit vague… the Dr was leaning to getting the Hep A & Typhoid as there was less you could do against those as bad food prep can catch you. As for Hep B the advice was avoid the local hookers so much easier to avoid.

stevego

We took Malarone I think when we went to Africa. Gave me the most vivid dreams I’ve ever had, techy-colour. My son (who was 4 at the time) said it gave him ‘shouty’ dreams.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fun vaccine side effects…’ is closed to new replies.