Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • WiFi Router problems – interference from next door?
  • goon
    Free Member

Can an access point nextdoor interfere with the quality of signal from our WiFi router? Been having some issues over the weekend with low signal and dropping the WiFi connection, where previously we've had rock solid connections.

There's a very good signal from an access point nextdoor, but I can't say for sure how long it's been active for, other than it wasn't there when I scanned for APs a few months ago.

Could the strength of nextdoor's signal cause interference? It's on channel 6 and I've tried moving our stuff around but it doesn't get any better?

Any tips for minimizing interference between the two APs?

GrahamS

Select a channel at least 5 away from next doors. (eg 1 or 11 upwards).

cynic-al
    Free Member

change to aut-channel – worked for me after advice on here.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Hi

In my experience of student houses all side by side with wireless (and now), there shouldn't be any 'interference'. I did read some very positive reports of using a aluminium foil guard that appears to reflect the signal in the right direction and boost strength – if yours is in a corner, try it, it can't hurt 🙂

goon
    Free Member

It's on channel 6 and I've tried moving our stuff around but it doesn't get any better?

Sorry, this should have been worded better. I've moved our router from 'Auto' to 1 and 11, going any higher seems top stop my repeater connecting.

Thanks for the replies though.

grievoustim
    Free Member

try a new filter thing before you do anything else (the widgit that plugs in between your router and phone line socket) – doing this has fixed issues like you describe for me before

clubber
    Free Member

One other thing is that a TV sender can cause real problems – as ours did when I installed it – as suggested above, play around with the channels or set it to auto.

Trekster

Been having problems to, but I am in a bungalow.
    I seem to be picking up BTFON and BTopenspace signals and my laptop occasionally starts up on BTFON?? rather than my router number.
    Early am laptop works great but the nearer lunch time it gets it seems to grind to a halt. Then in the evening everything is back to normal.
    Is this just BT slowing everything down, or something more sinister?

GrahamS

try a new filter thing before you do anything else

Won't help if it is the wifi signal that's the issue, as per the OP.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

trekster, you dont live in Reading do you?

richcc
    Free Member

I'm regularly pissed off by BT homehubs. A few months ago BT automatically updated them and switched them all to open access. In my back garden my phone now automatically hooks onto my neighbours homehub and and displays a splash screen inviting me to put my credit card number in so I can use it. I can't tell my iPhone to ignore it and it hacks me off. (i'd also be pssed off if I had a homehub and BT were selling my bandwidth!)

GrahamS

So don't connect to it when it pops up the box?
    Or change the "Ask to join networks" setting to Off so it never asks.

richcc
    Free Member

GrahamS – it doesn't pop up a box – it connects automatically but then can't wifi because you've not got past the splash screen. Turning off 'join networks' stops it connecting to mine. When I get the problem I turn off wifi and use 3g but I don't think there's a way to selectively ignore a network. Meh, minor irritation but wondered if it might be source of OPs problem

GrahamS

It should only connect automatically if it is a network that you've tried to connect to before.

So when it is trying, go to Settings->Wifi, select the network and choose "Forget this network".

It should then return to asking if you want to connect to it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘WiFi Router problems – interference from next door?’ is closed to new replies.