Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Widest bars on the forum?
  • SeanOrange
    Free Member

Just been into the garage to cut down my 800mm bars but couldn’t bring myself to do it. Done 3 short trail rides with them & they feel a bit weird for anything but flying off drops.
    Anybody else got 800mm or wider 😯 ?

Baldysquirt

Had 800mm, but they haven’t actually made it out with out being cut to 750mm.

Northwind

My 800s just arrived, for the DH bike. I’m going to use them at full length just out of curiosity but if they don’t end up well cut down I’ll be amazed (they were cheaper than the 760s!). TBH they’ll probably end up at something like 720mm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RealMan
    Free Member

800mm? Bonkers. I run 420mm on the road bike, 660mm on the mtb. Just got a new bmx, not sure what size the bars are, but think they’re around 700mm. Feels like I’m trying to hug a wall.

grum
    Free Member

Hehe, I had 760 for a while and that seemed a bit OTT, they are not around 730 I think – perfect.

steezysix
    Free Member

Got a pair of uncut Deity Dirty 30 bars (760mm) – I’m 6’2″ and they feel amazing, but I can’t imagine wanting them any wider.

Tom-B
    Free Member

580mm here…..anything more is just frivolous 🙂

ton

808mm here, which are far too wide for me.
    and i probably have the widest shoulders on the forum, so they are probably 150mm too wide for you little blokes……….. 😉

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Tried some 780s but felt like Jesus so they’re cut to a more reasonable 740 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

770 on my HT just cos they looked interesting. I have simian-like arms, so they feel fine.

hazza123
    Free Member

Here’s mine

They’re 800mm, I’ve thought about cutting them down, but I’ll see how they run on the DH bike.

snaps
    Free Member

710mm on the FR bike & 620mm on the XC – 5’8″ guy in the LBS with 808mm Blackspires today looked like he was at more than full stretch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just got a metal broom handle lopped the head off and shimmed out the stem with a coke can

Bit flexy but takes away the trail buzz nicely – they are about 5 ft wide with a handy hook at one end for me to hang the bike up by !

hazza123
    Free Member

Snaps- I have the same bars, the blackspire ones and theyre only 800 as I’ve measured them, unless I measured wrong. 😛

cookeaa

750 now on the DH bike
    685 eastons on the HT
    710 on the SS
    440 drops on the road bike…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I pale in insignificance compared to you long armed gentle folk.

FS has 711’s
    Geared HT has 685’s
    SS HT has 660’s
    Road bike has 420’s
    Commuter (flat bar road bike) has 580’s with bar ends

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Mine are Da Bomb Bazooka, got the coz they were in the CRC VIP sale for £25. Seemed rude not to and fitted them to an Alpine 160.
    BTW I love the feel of my 710mm Vone bars on my geared HT.

I must look stupidly over stretched as I’m 5’9″ with rather short arms anyway 😳
    Think I’ll cut to 760 & see how that goes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Is this a penis thread?

brakes
    Free Member

I had Answer Protaper 780s on for Morzine
    Awesome for stability at speed and for control and leverage through rough stuff
    but preposterous back in the tightly-treed woodlands of the UK so they’ve been cut down to 730

Northwind

As a follow-up to my earlier post… One thrash through the local woods and though they’re quite funny, the 800s are just stupidly wide for me. At full lock my forward hand’s an awfully long way away, apart from anything else.

tomaso
    Free Member

I think they ae 720mm which is the widest I’ve ever had and they are great. But I got stuck tonight between some trees at High Damn and excalimed f@#* m’bars as I came to an abrupt halt…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

This chap is sweating it as his bars aint wide enough. And he’s forgotten to fit his brakes.

GW
    Free Member

what DH bike you got Northwind?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

brakes, you want to watch out – looks like your twin brother is catching you up in that photo up there ^
    Anyway, I’ve got a piece of scaffolding as a bar, must be 6 foot wide. Lovely and stable downhill.

Northwind

GW – Member

what DH bike you got Northwind?

Nothing too exciting mate, an 07 Ellsworth Dare… Put it off for ages but decided after the endurance dh that if I do it again next year I’d like a bit more bounce :mrgreen: Slightly dated geometry I guess, slack enough but a fairly high BB. Still, seems to work and it was cheap.

GW
    Free Member

😆 you love the Fugly, eh?

You racing it at inners this weekend?

Northwind

Aye, there’s not a single angle you can view it from that it doesn’t look horrible, that’s genius at work.

Not much point in me racing standard format DH tbh, I’m too slow, can’t be doing with spending a weekend in a muddy car park to place 2nd last in Masters :mrgreen:

neallyman
    Free Member

You racing it at inners this weekend?

GW – you racing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

760mm on the Heckler and DH bike
    745mm with Pro endless grips so feels nearly 760 in the HT

Just gets a little sketchy in the steep tech ups without the fork locked down.

Will be taking on the IOM E2E with the 745’s on sunday!!

Trimix
    Free Member

810mm, been using them since last Sept.

I did clip a tree that knocked me off in Cannock in the first month, but now Im used to them I havent been knocked off since.

You learn to judge gaps whatever the width of the bars. Ride what feels right for you.

Im not tall or wide, its just they are the same width as all my off road motorcycles and seem to fit me well.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

How did I know you’d pop up on this thread, Ainsley? 🙂

GW
    Free Member

GW – you racing?

I’ll be winning practice but not racing 😉

neallyman
    Free Member

I’ll be winning practice but not racing

no comprende…sorry!?

footflaps

You’ll be notching trees on your local trails next:

Help with wide bars at Learnie by brf, on Flickr

nbt

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/blog/2010/02/20/big-bars-trend-or-truth/

😀

Edit: I notice as well that risers bars are now well and truly out of fashion, quite a lot of minimal rise or even flat bars on the WC coverage

flange
    Free Member

There’s a couple of points on the Cannock ride that stopped me dead – I’m on Sunlines, can’t remember the width

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Widest bars on the forum?’ is closed to new replies.