Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wider rims? WTB
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi all, I have 2 questions.

I’m looking at changing out my en521 rims for something wider. It seems to make a lot of sense for rims to be a bit wider hear days with the Hans Dampfs. I was looking at the WTB frequency i25 rims. First off has anyone gone from 21mm internal rims to 25 and noticed any differences? Secondly has anyone had any experience with the WTBs?

Cheers,

John

rondo101
    Free Member

I’ve kind of gone the other way, having just bought Arch EXs (21mm) for the FS whereas I have Flow EXs (25.5mm) on the hardtail. There’s a noticeable difference in tyre profile (to the point to which I’m not sure I’ve made the right choice!), but as I haven’t had chance to ride the new wheels yet I’m not sure whether I’d notice on the trail.

A friend who has some sort of deal with WTB runs 2 wheelsets depending on conditions and what he’s riding, and uses the i23s (HRII & Minion) for racing Enduro. He’s quite impressed with them, but then he’s getting them at a discount…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Interesting, the reviews I could find of the WTBs were good although there weren’t that many. Price wise they are £45 a rim from CRC which makes them a fair bit less than the Stans, and as I said on the wider tyres it sounds logical to have a wider profile. Just trying to weigh up if it will really make much difference. From what you say the physical appearance is clearly different which sounds like a vote for giving some a go.

John

gaz552
    Free Member

There’s always the Carbon Derby rims, they’re 40mm wide.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

There is the slight cost issue there. Not really interested in carbon rims either.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve got a wtb i23 up front with a 2.4 rubber queen tyre. The rim supports the tyre nicely and has built into a stiff feeling wheel. I rate the wtb frequency rims and will replace the skinny rim on my rear wheel with another.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wider rims? WTB’ is closed to new replies.