Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Ghost ship full of cannibal rats could be about to crash into Devon coast
  • neilforrow
    jekkyl

cool. I don’t understand from the article why the company that owns the ship hasn’t gone and got it and why is no-one charging the company with the responsibility.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Because nobody actually knows where the ship is!

winston_dog
    Free Member

why the company that owns the ship hasn’t gone and got it and why is no-one charging the company with the responsibility.

The Company that owned the ship will no longer exist. Most ships are set up as individual Companies to limit any liability.

There is doubt over her position and if it is still afloat. The Ocean is a big place.

The bigger question is why did the Canadian Coastguard cut her lose in International waters after getting her under control. If it comes near us, we should get it and tow it back to Canada before letting it go.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Blimey, Devon looks like its getting a hard winter!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cool. I don’t understand from the article why the company that owns the ship hasn’t gone and got it and why is no-one charging the company with the responsibility

There’s a lot of junk out at sea. Mostly shipping containers floating just under the surface, fine if you’re a supertanker or container ship, deadly if you’re a small boat. Just look at the number of Vende/Volvo/BT/BOC/Clipper/etc racers that lose keels, rudders or big chunks off the bow.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I heard/read it was west coast of Scotland/Ireland. Canadians “apparently” lost it whilst towing with tugs and thought **** it, let it go!

eskay

Wouldn’t you eventually end up with one rat who would then die if starvation?

shermer75
    Free Member

That’s got to be worth a fortune in scrap, hasn’t it?

somouk
    Free Member

That’s got to be worth a fortune in scrap, hasn’t it?

About 600k, loads of people looking for it just to take it for scrap.

Slightly concerning our Navy can’t find it and sink it though.

superfli
    Free Member

There’s a lot of junk out at sea. Mostly shipping containers floating just under the surface, fine if you’re a supertanker or container ship, deadly if you’re a small boat. Just look at the number of Vende/Volvo/BT/BOC/Clipper/etc racers that lose keels, rudders or big chunks off the bow.

You seen “All Is Lost”? Deadly for small boats, check.

shermer75
    Free Member

£600,000??!? I’ll have it!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sod the scrap, that miles bigger than my house, anyone got a boat I can borrow?

eviljoe
    Free Member

Bring it on.

The good people of Devon and Cornwall have been wrecking ships for years. Most of the folks who live on the north coast could take on cannibal rats no problems. Might deter the holiday makers though 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Like how they’ve really narrowed it down to where it might strike – Devon, Cornwall, Ireland or Scotland

shermer75
    Free Member

I love the way it was abandoned over a debt dispute.

Man in suit and bowler hat: ‘Hello, do you have that money you owe me?’

Captain and crew: ‘Peg it!!’

winston_dog
    Free Member

About 600k, loads of people looking for it just to take it for scrap.

Slightly concerning our Navy can’t find it and sink it though.

Not sure who’s looking for it and with what?

The Navy are not looking for it. It would also cost a fortune. Besides they probably wouldn’t be allowed to sink it and they haven’t got the skills or equipment to take it in tow.

Mostly shipping containers floating just under the surface, fine if you’re a supertanker or container ship, deadly if you’re a small boat.

A 40′ container can make a mess of any ship, probably not outright sink it but certainly do significant damage.

emsz
    Free Member

How can they not know where it is?? 😯

BadlyWiredDog

Wouldn’t you eventually end up with one rat who would then die if starvation?

Giant rats, hungry ones, big enough to crew the ship. Just looking for somewhere convenient to put ashore.

BadlyWiredDog

How can they not know where it is??

Not many people know this, but ships are very like socks in that respect. And the Atlantic is nature’s sock drawer. Or something like that.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Not many people know this, but ships are very like socks in that respect. And the Atlantic is nature’s sock drawer. Or something like that.

Who are “they”? This thing is in International waters.

The Atlantic is a big **** place. What would you use to look for it/track it?

legend
    Free Member

The Atlantic is a big **** place. What would you use to look for it/track it?

Could we get Flipper on the case?

emsz
    Free Member

Don’t they have a black box or a beacon or something? Can’t the use satellites to track it?

shermer75
    Free Member

Maybe they could identify the iceberg in the background and find it that way

scotroutes

shermer75 you just made getting up worthwhile

shermer75
    Free Member

The article says there’s emergency beacons on board. Start triangulating, people! It’s worth £600,000!!

legend
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    Don’t they have a black box or a beacon or something? Can’t the use satellites to track it?

A black box is just a data recorder. The emergency beacons went off but the batteries will be long dead by now. The satellites would have to find it first, if nobody will pay for a sea search then there ain’t no way they’ll be paying for satellite time.

scotroutes

The emergency beacons only go off if it sinks

scandal42
    Free Member

I want one

winston_dog
    Free Member

The emergency beacons only go off if it sinks

By design yes. But false alarms on crewed and maintained ships are common. Apparently they did pick up a signal a few months ago, we could mean it has sank or something has gone wrong with the beacon. Either way the battery will be finished by now.

antigee

I reckon its headed here: http://www.goonhilly.org/

those rats are saying “you can’t find us – we’ll find you”

konabunny
    Free Member

How much does a missile cost? Because I have a plan.

winston_dog
    Free Member

How much does a missile cost?

A lot.

Pigface
    Free Member

A guy I know spent a few years whilst studying to be an engineer delivering yachts between Austrlia and New Zealand, happily sailing along in bright sunshine one day he hears a huge crash and the boat stops dead and starts filling up with water, the thing sunk in about 4 minutes. He jumps over board and starts swimming about when he realises he can stand up. It was a shipping container about 18inches below the surface. He was sailing in partnership with another yacht that was about 1/2 a mile away so get rescued. He hates shipping containers 😆 I had no idea what a problem the things are.

footflaps

I vote we find it and maroon Ian Duncan Smith with the unemployed cannibal rats so he can then lecture them about their slovenly ways…..

Northwind

That’s a nice looking boat, I’ll have it. Just tie it up in one of them empty piers in Leith then do battle with the rats. Or, tell them it’s sinking, and they’ll all jump off.

konabunny
    Free Member

How much does a missile cost?

A lot.

Okay – well how about the cheapest projectile that can fired long distances? C’mon work with me here.

jekkyl

how far away from the coast do ‘international waters’ start?
    great plan if you want to become a hermit, buy a boat or go and find that one and just sail round quiet waters somewhere. no tax, no work but little or no cycling 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Ghost ship full of cannibal rats could be about to crash into Devon coast’ is closed to new replies.