Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whyte 46 driving me INSANE! Creaking problems – HELP!
  • PassStormer
    Free Member

Hi everybody! I know you lot will help me….

2007 Whyte 46 creaking its ass off. In time with the pedalling, believed to be travelling through the frame from the big gripper.

Its NOT the seat, seat post, quick release
    Its NOT the bearings / pivots / linkages
    Its NOT the rear wheel hub
    Its NOT the crankset
    Its NOT the cassette / drive train

Will a frame crack be obvious? I can’t see one?
    Some articles on the internet talk of bobbins? Whats a mucky bobbin?!

The problem did cease for one ride, where I oiled the Big Gripper components, but since then it has returned. I tried greasing them for longer lasting result, but still creaking. Can anyone nail it down to a specific component? Should the axle/gripper contact be greased? it doesn’t move when clamped, so it makes me think that it’ll just gunk up if I do?

Thanks for your help

Pre-emptive beer on me!

Tim

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pedals?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rear mech hanger? Unbolt it from the frame and grease it up.

PassStormer
    Free Member

hang on….

stevomcd
    Free Member

There’s definitely a lot of talking bobbins on here…

boblo
    Free Member

It’s the bobbins on the big gripper…. They all do that, mine did and I think I had it all apart and cleaned it then GT85’d it after reassembly.

Very, very common. Google should still find it.

PassStormer
    Free Member

Had to be sure, but it is NOT the pedals. Thanks for trying!

PassStormer
    Free Member

What are bobbins!? Is that the thing the big gripper clamps to?

PassStormer
    Free Member

Will do the rear mech anyway – thanks ChunkyMTB.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

When you say it’s not the cranksest are you including the BB?

PassStormer
    Free Member

Yes – I looked at the crankset first. I’ve checked the BB too (bought a new one I was so convinced!). Reassembled with 2 different cranksets. Still creaking. I really think its coming from the rear wheel / bike interface!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Welcome to 46 ownersville. Mine creaked from day one for a full year. Then it stopped creaking and I was happy for a fortnight. Then it snapped. Moral of the story, if it’s creaking it’s OK.

Slightly more helpful… try taking the big gripper apart and cleaning it properly before greasing it all back up. The cups on the axel (maybe what people are calling bobbins, they are total and utter bobbins and maybe the worst design in the history of bikes) were another problem for me, they work loose and dirt gets in there. Take those apart and clean/grease/tighten. I had real problems with that, my Dad has the bike now and he has issues too.

judderman
    Free Member

as above ^^^^^

grease the bobbins (fat round silver disc’s on the ends of the spindles ) where the big grippers grip after cleaning every ride.

failure to do this will result in you going insaine through repetitive creaking noise!

PassStormer
    Free Member

Ok – rear mech and big gripper strip and grease…. back in 10!

PassStormer
    Free Member

OK, back from greasing. Not much to report – the creaking is less loud, but I think tomorrow’s ride will be a better judge after the grease and GT85 beds in.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

boblo
    Free Member

The bobbins are the two……bobbins on the ends of the m5 threaded rod that the big grippers err grip. They are a major faff to get the wheel in and out for sure but if you can manage away the creaking they do work.

You might also check the m5 bolts are nipped up (not gorilla tight or you kill them) as this also causes sqeeeeeeeeeeeeking and creeeeeeeeeeaking….

judderman
    Free Member

oh & i have also PTFE taped the bobbins before & this too has worked

pumper
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my 905 mate…after months of re-greasing and replacing parts It was the Getta Grip seat post clamp.I had to strip and re-grease it after every ride.Also might be worth checking the plastic washer thingy that the clamp lever(cam) slides on.Mine had worn down so replaced it with a section of cateye reflector clamp plastic.Hope this helps.

jedi

one of my riders on todays coaching session rode a marin and it made a horrible noise when suspension compressed. it was his reverb seat post cable hitting tyre

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The old Marin’s used to creak bad – they’d eat DU bushings.

Limy
    Free Member

Hi i have the exact same problem. I even spent a fortune on the correct SKF anti Fret paste that Whyte recommend.

You need to take everything apart on the big gripper. Remove the retaining springs so can get the barrels (levers) out. Even take the hanger off by tapping the pin out. Clean everything, grease then put them all back together. GT85 doesn’t really help though. The SKF anti Fret paste does work but costs about £80 (tub is big enough to last you a lifetime).

This worked for me but in the end I did away with the big gripper system and had a 12mm through axle system made as the barrels kept opening up. Bike has been silent and working great for 6 months now.

Good Luck with it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My Wolf Ridge creaked endlessly and despite removing the dropouts and liberally greasing them it still creaked.

It creaked if I pedalled sat down or stood up.

I removed the cranks and greased them. It still creaked.

Next up I removed the seatpost, bars and stem which were treated to grease.

Yep. It still creaked.

I finally gave up and learned to love my bike for all it’s creakiness. Last week, I treated myself to a new pair of Charger grips.

Guess what? No creak…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 46 driving me INSANE! Creaking problems – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.