• This topic has 44 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Whyte 2015.. someone found the coloured crayons
  • z1ppy

No longer all grey!

didgerman
    Free Member

Their site is up with all the new models now. I’m not posting the link though…, dunno if it’s meant to be live.

z1ppy

This link? no T-130 listed yet… hang on it is here!
    Whyte’s web monkey seems to like to do half a job and maybe finish it later. They used to make a new page every year pre 2013, so you could see the previous years models.. useful occasionally, now their just altering last years badly… the current 2014 pages is a bit of a mess

DanW
    Free Member

Now available in “Enduro” colourways! 😀

richen987
    Free Member

I think thats a shame, I liked the understated matt greys and blacks with bright bolts/hubs etc thought they looked really good as well as being instantly identifiable as a Whyte, now they just look like every other euro/us bike.

leftyboy
    Free Member

As per my post in another thread:

LBS have had some hardtails and hybrids in on time but are saying the T-130s are running late

I think the reason the T-130 is missing from the first link is because it’s at least 6 weeks away 🙁

I like the look of the G-150 Works but it’s £1k over my budget and I don’t really need 150mm travel for 99% of my riding! G-150S seems much worse value than the T-130 Works ignoring the fact the are aimed at slightly different markets.

weeksy

Oooooh it’s a Salsa Spearfish !

AlexSimon

Oooooh it’s a Salsa Spearfish !

That would be no bad thing, but this is a horst link and has quite a low main pivot location.

z1ppy

Didn’t the updated Spearfish (included Dave Weagle’s Split Pivot™) come out the year after the T-129?

BigDummy
    Free Member

These are so enduro.

roverpig

Damn, the only thing I didn’t like about the T129 was the boring grey colour. These are going to be mighty hard to resist.

brassneck

Hang on. M109CS now £2999????

They may have just removed my final pathetic objection..

Is the Fox Float 32 Performance fork with CTD Adjust and FIT any good? I was planning on the 29C S I think – middle model with carbon wheels and SIDs as I’d heard the Fox was more of a downgrade than a plus.

EDIT: Shame about the colour though, not keen on the black’n’orange. Loving the green and Yeti-esque turqoise.

dpfr

My bank account has a BAD feeling about the 29C-S too.

The 529 has had quite a radical revamp though…..

brassneck

Plus I can see why they’ve done it, but I’m happy to save £2K and not have 1×11 and that upside down fork (29C team)

z1ppy

😀 @ dpfr… told you Whyte webmonkeys were rubbish

29C looks sleak to me, that fork works better that the fox/RS on the models below (looks wise), though matching colour graphics would really finish it..

adsh
    Free Member

^ Very nice! The Torq frame without the Torq decals… mind you (with XX1 and that fork) it’s £1,500 more than the old 29C Team no?

brassneck

^ Very nice! The Torq frame without the Torq decals… mind you (with XX1 and that fork) it’s £1,500 more than the old 29C Team no?

Yup. I’d rather have the money and let someone else do the field testing on the upside down forks.. it’s a few years since the maverick SC-32 and no one else has rushed to make them. Unless they are a piece of pish to service at home, then I reserve the right to completely change my mind 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

^ Agree. Looks good but I’m not sure it stands out from other bikes of the same price.

m1kea
    Free Member

Just been lusting at the 109C team and realised I recognised the background of this pic

Do you think they’d chuck me a long term eval (i.e permanently) for being a smartypants? 😉 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Just got back from the launch.

IMO it’s good to see a bit more colour in the range. In most bikes, there is say 3 options, and one of them will have a more safe/boring colour scheme and safer componentry choice.

Highlights for me…

-The T-130 is going to be big, mark my words! All the good of the T-129 in a wheel size flavour that doesn’t upset those with a short inside leg. Despite my very poor technique, it also pops the front and wheelies like no other 130mm travel FS I’ve ridden (largely due to the short stays I’d suggest). The Blue version at £2k is excellent, the Suntour fork on it may scare a lot of people but it shouldn’t it’s a better fork than an equivalent priced Rockshox. The Works SCR version is rather nice with a Pike too…

-The 29C Team looks stunning in the flesh with it’s Rockshox RS-1, and despite the fact it weighs naff all, it’s built to take a real hammering too! Shame about the price IMO as it’s about £1k too much for all but the richest of privateer XC racers I’d say. But then in real terms, the £3k 29CS doesn’t lose out much in performance or weight terms, and it’s got a much better spec than last year.

-The T-129 brings more of the same as the last model. It’s been a popular seller for good reason, the new mainframe(s) make much more use of hydro and air forming and are sleeker. The SCR version actually has a different frame to the cheaper versions (same with the T-130 too actually) and you CANNOT run a front derailleur or more than one chainring on them! The benefit is that the main pivot is larger and stiffer, and you don’t need asymetric chainstays any more without a front derailleur. It remains to be seen whether or not that it was necessary to make a whole different frame (rather than just a spec change), but kudos to Whyte for trying it at least.

-The Shoreditch and Whitechapel, with 1×10 and 1×9 gearing respectively, will make excellent commuter bikes. Instead of a 34/50 chainset (which commuters would either always be in the top 4 cogs on the 50, or the bottom 4 on the 34) they’ve fitted a single 42T ring up front and 11-36 cassette with a clutch mech on the back… The lack of a front derailleur and extra rings means spec is higher elsewhere (hydro discs) and they’re lighter than rivals!

-The Stowe and Cornwall Carbon Disc Brake Road Bikes are light, and come with proper hydro discs. I’d not tried either SRAM or Shimano road setups before (have used various cable systems though) and they’re impressive. Total bike weights aren’t bad considering disc brakes (less than 500g heavier than most non disc equivalents on the market I’d say), clearance is there for big(ger) tyres and full guards too. They’re a modern, winter road bike if you will. The ally versions are more of the same, only heavier and less well specced (but much cheaper) as you might imagine.

-The 603/604/605 use last year’s 800 series frame (the 800 series gets a new frame), on their new “entry” level bikes. Bold colours, good geometry and neat touches should appeal well to buyers in the £500-£700 market.

-The Strawberry Hill is something you wouldn’t expect. An old school styled sit up and beg bike, that has actually been designed to be lightweight and quick as well as just comfortable and solid. It’s 12.5kg including guards etc! And with 3×8 gearing, gets up any hill. MUCH better than pig iron wannabe’s, even if it is about £200 more expensive than a Raleigh or Dawes with similar styling.

-Tubeless compatibility is there across almost the entire range (well, above a price point anyway). And now all bikes that come with tubeless ready rims, come with proper tubeless ready tyres too (last year, many didn’t).

There’s still a number of very typical Whyte features across the range that people will either love or hate still (but they Whyte have always been like that), but for those that like the brand already and those curious but have felt the range hasn’t quite catered for their needs entirely in previous years, the news is good… 🙂

PrinceJohn

I’ve been being teased with images from there today – there were some pretty sexy cars in the background of some of the pics…

wiggles
    Free Member

Hmmm… G150 or t130 works…

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve been being teased with images from there today – there were some pretty sexy cars in the background of some of the pics…

Sorry for the poor quality (iPhone all I had to hand), but this is Schumacher’s 1993 Benetton…

🙂

The rest you can keep, but that’s from an era of F1 that I remember vividly. I think that though I followed F1 for a few more years (only really because of Damon Hill), my real passion for it died when Senna did I’m afraid!

Hmmm… G150 or t130 works…

If you’re racing Gravity Enduro, the G150.

If not, the T-130 for sure… It’s quite a bit lighter, more agile, and makes much more sense everywhere else. IMO, the biggest competitor to T-129 sales this year won’t be other 29er’s, but it will be people questioning wheel size and buying a T-130 instead!

Clink

Shame – no 829/929 replacement with the sliding dropouts 🙁

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah I’m leaning towards T130… But G150 is a bit cheaper with most of what I want.

Will just have to wait for us to get some in the shop so I can see them in the flesh.

joat

Not looking, don’t need one.
    The seat brace looks a lot neater as a tube rather than the channel which put me off last year’s model a touch. Need to save a bit more money now as that 130 SCR looks sweet.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Having ridden a T-129s I was absolutely blown away and was about to buy one. Now they’re a mad green colour, better looking frame, and slightly better spec? I’m delighted!

leftyboy
    Free Member

@wiggles any update on when the T-130 Works might hit the shops?

wiggles
    Free Member

Not sure, not available to order from suppliers yet but already have customers asking for them so they will be flying out the door it seems.

grtdkad

Love the look of that 29C…

mboy
    Free Member

Love the look of that 29C…

I know someone who might be able to sort you a demo out if you ask nicely! 😉

any update on when the T-130 Works might hit the shops?

I was told probably end of August, beginning of September, but that wasn’t a definite.

already have customers asking for them so they will be flying out the door it seems.

Not surprised at all!

WildHunter2009

Hmm the trail hardtail frames look quite similar to a 650b version of my beloved 2004 marin wildcat trail, which is still pretty much one of the best bikes ever. They do look really nice actually, wonder if you can get them in australia.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@mboy

I was told probably end of August, beginning of September, but that wasn’t a definite.

I was told it could be 2 – 6 weeks so maybe the end of August is possible, bit surprised that there’s availability of other bikes in the range with the same fork as my LBS was told it’s down to supplies of the Pike in 130mm 650b size.

thepurist

Hmmm – the Suffolk is looking like an interesting commute option – 11sp 105 & TRP brakes.

velomanic
    Free Member

The 2015 road range looks good and at £1799 for carbon and hydraulic brakes the Cornwall looks like a great package.

Here’s my ‘bikes and cars’ shot from yesterday…

ads678

Personally, I think that it should say Whyte where it says T150/G150 etc. and vice versa.

Other than that they look pretty good.

roverpig

I was just idly comparing the geometry of the T130 and T129. Looking at the large options for both bikes (6′ rider) the (650b) T130 has a 509mm top tube with a 70mm stem, where the (29er) T129 has a 637mm TT with a 40mm stem. The latter seems much more “on-trend”.

z1ppy

Man what even weirder is that the non “SCR” T-129 Works large is 610mm.
    Why change it on the SCR version but not the std ones?
    (glancing, the T-130 seem the same through it’s range)

mboy
    Free Member

Man what even weirder is that the non “SCR” T-129 Works large is 610mm.
    Why change it on the SCR version but not the std ones?
    (glancing, the T-130 seem the same through it’s range)

SCR has a Pike and is designed around a 50mm stem iirc. The normal versions have a 32mm stanchion fork and designed around a 70-80mm stem, hence the TT length difference. That was the explanation Ian Alexander gave anyway…

roverpig

Yes, the 29er has a 30mm longer TT and a 30mm shorter stem than the 650b. Weighs the same though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 2015.. someone found the coloured crayons’ is closed to new replies.