Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Why'd the 'stealing bikes' thread get closed?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Thought it was a nice thought provoking debate starter myself…? Just the sort of thing STW hankers for? 🙄

Theft sucks… be it stealing bikes or stealing games/music/movies… people need to realise it's all one and the same, innit? And why do they call it piracy anyway, it's just theft/shoplifting…

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Cos no-one knew what an analogy was.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The spelling & punctuation was largely correct, therefore it has no busines being an active post around these parts

poisonspider
    Free Member

It (he) was a troll

psychle
    Free Member

It (he) was a troll

and? troll/debate… one and the same?

al2000

I thought it was a good debate starter too, which is why I started another thread. Doh..

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not sure it was trolling, if your livelihood is making games then people stealing rather than buying them will be a legitimate concern, and you may be upset by people on a forum discussing how best to steal said goods.

If you run a bike shop I'm pretty sure you would not be happy for a forum to have discussions about the best ways to enter premises and fence the goods.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Not really.

If he wanted a debate, he should have said software piracy was shit and it's killing the games industry – discuss.

To start by saying it's a good idea to steal bikes just cos people steal software – that's trolling.

IMHO of course.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

DING DING round 2!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It's called an analogy (sure I've mentioned it before), occasionally people use it to emphasise a point or generate interest in a non direct way.

I'm sure human communications would be pretty boring without such linguistic tools.

fbk
    Free Member

I agree – not so much trolling as getting people's attention in order to start a debate.

I think the op (of the original thread) made a valid point.

IMHO 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The title was intended to provoke, therefore against the rules as is starting threads questioning the actions of the moderators.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Of course the title was intended to provoke – to provoke a debate on DS piracy and it's general acceptance, with a comparison to bikes as an example.

Anyone should have been able to read the thread and see that it was a known use of a tool of language, the fact that many, including the mods, did not see this speaks volumes.

Edit – and for a mag/organisation that seems to condone, and find glee, at times in breaking the rules seems pretty up with them when it suits. Just cos they own the forum doesn't mean I can't question, if they want to respond by banning me then that's their perogative. As is mine to enrol again with a different name – something else which is widely condoned but officially against the rules.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Anyone should have been able to read the thread and see that it was a known use of a tool of language, the fact that many, including the mods, did not see this speaks volumes.

Yep it says to me that maybe they would rather be riding bikes / spending time with their families on a Saturday rather than having to keep an eye on a thread that will inevitably get out of hand.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Still not sure why the use of an example should provoke such reactions as for a thread to get out of hand.

If the OP had put exactly the same content but with a big note saying ' I do not really think stealing bikes is good but wanted to use something close to many of you as an example of what DS piracy does to me' then there wouldn't have been a problem.

The problem seems to be simply that many, including the mods, thought there was a note of seriousness in the post. FFS have we degenerated so far that subtlety of language cannot be used because no-one will understand? Do we have to communicate merely in facts?

Anyhow, as I can't ride at present I better take my family to the pictures.

Have fun chatting but don't use comparisons, analogies, examples without exemption clauses, similes or metaphors- keep it factual and accirate folks.

poisonspider
    Free Member

'beans

I think you're in danger of over egging the pudding here. You say that 'many thought there was a note of seriousness in the post'. Go back and read all the responses, so far nearly all seem to me to be in support of the point he was making and nobody has said they thought he was serious.

There's only me saying he was trolling, which I still agree with, but taking Kingtut's point, does anybody really give a shit? we should all have better things to do.

crazy-legs

Yep it says to me that maybe they would rather be riding bikes / spending time with their families on a Saturday rather than having to keep an eye on a thread that will inevitably get out of hand.

There's a few types of thread like that, they usually get closed down pretty swiftly for that very reason – it may well have been a serious point but you always get someone coming along adding fuel to the fire, things get out of hand etc. Easier for everyone if it doesn't.

Threads questioning moderator decisions usually get removed fairly quickly too…

pjt201
    Free Member

It was closed because of the glaring grammatical/spelling error in the last post.

aracer
    Free Member

If the OP had put exactly the same content but with a big note saying ' I do not really think stealing bikes is good but wanted to use something close to many of you as an example of what DS piracy does to me' then there wouldn't have been a problem.

Was it too subtle for you?

Of course the irony is that the point seems to have been missed by all who responded to that thread anyway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Why'd the 'stealing bikes' thread get closed?’ is closed to new replies.