Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Why wouldn’t you want to put a CCDB on a Lapierre Spicy 2011?
  • j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you want to put a CCDB on a Lapierre Spicy 2011?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Colour clash?

SBrock
    Free Member

CCDB would go lovely on a Spicy, 5, Heckler etc etc brilliant rear shock

amedias
    Free Member

because of the large amount of money it would cost?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My mate had one on his spicy…..”Awesome” being the word to describe it

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

So apart from price are there any down sides?

chakaping
    Free Member

Weight?

Confusing array of adjustments?

Crag
    Free Member

+1 on the confusing array of adjustments.

My guess is that mere mortals wouldn’t fully understand exactly what they were doing and therefore not use the shock to its full potential.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Any idea what the leverage curve looks like?

Normally if a frame is designed for an air shock (which the spicy comes with), the leverage ratio ramps up at the end of the travel to battle the ramp up in spring stiffness in an air spring.

The normal result of running a coil on a air designed frame is that you end up having to have a firmer ride to avoid bottoming out on good sized hits.

Obviously there are exceptions based on rider, if the rider is light, going coil will help them get full travel. Also if the rider is a mincer, running too much travel for how they use the bike, it will help them obtain that “plush” feeling and get full travel.

I don’t recommend it if you’re heavier than average or do a bit of proper 160mm riding, ie actually riding some proper DH, not just trail centre descents.

boxelder

Because the stock Fox is great?

flow
    Free Member

My guess is that mere mortals wouldn’t fully understand exactly what they were doing and therefore not use the shock to its full potential.

Compression and rebound 😯

How would we cope?

Crag
    Free Member

I know, crazy but true.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

deanfbm why would you not recommend it for riding DH?

flow
    Free Member

deanfbm why would you not recommend it for riding DH?

Because he doesn’t have the slightest clue what he is on about.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Its not that confusing, the manual explains it very well!

Do it, its the best upgrade you will do! I get on really well with mine (not on a spicy) pedals great absorbs the smallest of bumps takes the big hits with so much smoothness, it never seems to feel out of it depth the only downsides are the cost and weight however i feel the weight is worth it for the performance.

Dave.

Northwind

Does the CCDB have any sort of lockout/propedal? If it doesn’t, then I wouldn’t- either the bike gets ridden up hills and I’d regret not having it, or, the bike doesn’t get ridden up hill and I’d sell it and get a bigger bike.

deanfbm
    Free Member

^LOL flow, please get some understanding before you comment.

I recommend the cane creek for DH riding on the correct bike.

The shock isn’t the defining factor in suspension action, it’s a relationship between the linkage design, spring type and damping. If one of these features isn’t correct, then the whole system isn’t going to work correctly.

A xc bike isn’t going to turn into a good bike for DH by simply changing the shock is it?

I say using a cane creek coil on a spicy (dependant on the suspension design) isn’t for DH because you’ll be bottoming on any good hit unless you run a really stiff spring, then you’ll lose any bump sensitivity.

GW
    Free Member

flow – TBH dean does sound like he has a massively better idea about how suspension works than you.
    I wouldn’t want a CCDB on my DH bike, but then I actually know why 😉

boxxer7
    Free Member

Northwind, It doesn’t have a pro pedal lever or anything like that, its just that you can dial in the LSC and also the LS Dampening too so you can make very fine adjustments to how the LSC works and its the same for the HSC and HSD. So you can make it pedal well but not at the expense of small bump sensitivity.

http://media.canyon.com/download/manuals/Manual_Double_Barrel_Instructions.pdf

flow
    Free Member

GW – to be fair you don’t know much about anything, zip it.

Dean – I have heard of people running CCDB on Fives (essentially an XC bike) and it turning them into a DH monster.

The fact that it isolates high and low speed compression, and high and low speed rebound makes infinitely adjustable, and just because a frame is designed around an air shock, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work well or better with a CCDB.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They feel a bit ‘lifeless’ regardless of set up. Not so good for ‘play’ type riding,popping off stuff and such. It will make an already very capable bike even more so,and will make a mockery of most trails !

boxxer7
    Free Member

Rorschach very good point about the pop, i ought to have mentioned that. The dampening is so controlled with the double barrel shock body that it doesn’t pop like a Vanilla or DHX etc, its a strange feeling at first but you do get used to it quickly.

GW
    Free Member

😆 def getting a very big ATG&NI vibe from you Flow.

and just because a frame is designed around an air shock, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t work well or better with a CCDB.

No. you’re correct! not that you have the slightest idea why. 🙄
    Go on tho, tell us exactly what a *Lapierre Spicy’s leverage curve is like and how suitable a CCDB is for that curve?

*I don’t know either (but I do know for my own bikes)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Meh, it’s not going to make you any quicker or hit stuff you wouldn’t have before.

Save the money, or spend it on one of those skills course things, unless your name is Vouilloz.

If the jewellery fork & shock manufacturers (BOS/CCDB) were really that much of a game changer, all the Pro’s would be riding them, regardless of contractual obligations. That’s what black marker pens are for.

nasher
    Free Member

I have CCDB and I have used on various bikes, including my old spicy, get the right spring and use the low rebound and compression damping to control the pedallin

NOTE: Always adjust the low compression and rebound damping together to certain degree…too much of either screws up the shock performance

Rorschach
    Free Member

Iirc the spicey leverage curve is slightly regressive at the end of the stroke ,which helps with getting full travel with an air shock.I certainly had no trouble getting the o-ring to the bottom on the demo bike I rode last week.I ended up running a bit less sag than would have liked.Anyhoo with a more linear coil shock you might end up running quite a lot of hs compression damping to help support the bike at full travel.
    They have changed the leverage curve on the 2012 models to make them a little more progressive.

GW
    Free Member

spoil sport 😛

scaredypants

Iirc the spicey leverage curve is slightly regressive at the end of the stroke ,which helps with getting full travel with an air shock

I don’t know the terminology but “regressive” sounds like falling rate to me – wouldn’t that reduce travel at the end of the stroke of an air shock (ie when inernal pressures are higher already) ?

GW
    Free Member

no it would allow an air shock (progressive by nature) to reach full travel easier

Rorschach
    Free Member

You got me thinking now!Will run of to find a pencil and start scribbling linkage diagrams.I think I’ve got the lapierre set up on ‘linkage’ on my laptop.

scaredypants

GW – to push an air shock to full travel you need to compress it fully

How could reducing the leverage/effective force applied to it by the suspension allow that ?

scaredypants

hold on – maybe I get it now …

goes off to scratch head

scaredypants

think I’m confusing wheel travel and shock travel

robhughes
    Free Member

Where’s loco.
    He,ll end this once and for all 😉
    He tuned up my dhx5 coil with Ti for my spicy and it,s bloody amazing. 😀

Northwind

boxxer7 – Member

Northwind, It doesn’t have a pro pedal lever or anything like that, its just that you can dial in the LSC and also the LS Dampening too so you can make very fine adjustments to how the LSC works and its the same for the HSC and HSD. So you can make it pedal well but not at the expense of small bump sensitivity.

That’s always going to be a compromise though. Course, you can twiddle the knobs between a climbing and descending setting with any shock but it’s easier to do with propedal (or similiar). I’m liking the Van RC that’s in my trailbike just now but if it didn’t have a simple pedal mode/not pedal mode adjustment it’d never have been fitted in the first place.

GW
    Free Member

huge? 😕
    No probably nowhere near as much as you’re thinking NW

Northwind

I ninja-edited that realising I was talking bollocks 😉

jedi

Northwind – Member

I ninja-edited that realising I was talking bollocks

the stw way 🙂 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Right.Cos of boyles law (pressure increases as the square of volume) air shocks need a much higher lever ratio (linkage)in the last part of the travel to make sure they achieve full travel.
    Coil shock are linear and so can have a flatter linkage lever ratio curve.
    Well it makes sense to me!

Northwind

Damn straight.

Having said that, not talking here about a “descending mode that pedals well”, but an outright “climbing on a heavy bike, don’t want to even feel the squish” setting- and if you can get that without sacrificing the ride quality while descending on one setting I’ll be beyond amazed tbh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Why wouldn’t you want to put a CCDB on a Lapierre Spicy 2011?’ is closed to new replies.