• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by JB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why is Nothing Simple?… RC40 Rebuild… Help!!!!!
  • JB
    Free Member

So i decided that I should take my RC40s apart and treat them to some new oil… should be easy, they're pretty simple as forks go really..

No probs taking apart , other than getting oil everywhere. Good clean-up rebuild starts fine right upto when I put the new oil in…. pump the forks to fill the damper with oil and as it does so it starts to hydraulic lock to the point where it wont extend past 1/4 travel. Its absolutely solid.

Ok so damper rod back out, take the top off and strip it, check all the holes are clear, no blockages, pumps ok, put it back in the fork leg put some more oil in…. Hydraulic lock again!!!

Anyone got any idea what I'm missing??? i'm only putting half oil quantity in to start the process….

Please help.
    Thanks
    JB

postierich
    Free Member

O dear looks like its back to the rigidness,sorry I am of no help!

JB
    Free Member

Yep… sure does! Its got to be something daft!!!

coatesy
    Free Member

Don't know anything about these forks, but have they got a lockout, and if so is it on? Had problems assembling a rock-shox fork because of this, could it be something similar?

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds obvious but you're sure the launch control isn't stuck on?

Can't think of anything else I'm afraid unless something has got in and is blocking the flow of oil through the ports in the piston.

clubber
    Free Member

One thing. How much oil are you loading it with? Overfilling will cause the problem you
    mention.

Houns

Did you empty all of the oil from the damper? iirc there is loads of the stuff (it's been about 4 years since i had a pair so details are vague sorry)

JB
    Free Member

Launch Control/Lock Out!!!! Of course!!!!! Doh…
    Thanks Chaps.
    JB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why is Nothing Simple?… RC40 Rebuild… Help!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.