Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • why is it impossible to buy winter boots?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Like lots of people, I'm looking to get some winter boots. I'll even consider the expense of some Lake 302s if I can get to try them on. Why does no one stock winter boots? Even the mail order guys don't seem to have stuff in stock. Why the national shortage?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You're too slow…..they've sold them all.Better luck next year.

jam-bo

its winter and everyone else has got cold wet feet too?

benjag
    Free Member

Evans in Castleford have spec defroster and northwave goretex, I was in there taking some endura singletrack trousers back, v.poor build quality.

firestarter
    Free Member

too late i got the shimano ones back end of summer just as the new ones arrived and got em for 80 too just before the price hikes 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

but the didn't run out of summer shoes in the summer!

Pembo
    Free Member

Same thing happended last year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That makes it even worse, didn't manufacturers learn last year hat demand outstripped supply?

Make more shoes, make more money!

radoggair
    Free Member

why wait until mid december before getting winter shoes. Surely get some sept time because everyone knows winter will arrive soon. Its like buying shorts in september, whats the point (unless your going on holiday).

What next, why is there no turkey left at midnight xmas eve??

druidh
    Free Member

You want the manufacturers to make, and the shops to stock, product that will be left on their shelves? Did it not occur to you that there might be a few wet, cold months this year?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ha, STW running at full force as usual. I'm having trouble tracking down a product at the time the product is needed and somehow, it's my fault.

Why am I looking for them now? Well, it's because my MT90s got refunded under warranty and the shop didn't have anything in stock. So, until recently, I was covered for winter footware and now, at short notice, I find myself without.

Shorts in September is pretty much the end of the shorts season, I would say December is closer to the start of the winter boots season, I'm expecting Jan and Feb to be colder.

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s have just been superseded by the MT91, which I don't think is actually available yet 😕 If you know what size you need, any LBS should be able to order them up for you (I know this doesn't help with a boot you've not tried before).

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Put my brand new Diadora Chilli MTB winter boots (size 10) one here for sale at £55 and didn't get a single response…………

robgarrioch

Is it vital to try them on? Just googling mw80's or mt90's throws a few pairs up; just get a size up from normal (impressed with my mw80's so far, btw)

Surfr
    Free Member

Had the same problem yesterday with winter glove shopping. All the good stuff was out of stock (Spec sub zeros, Endura Strikes, Sealskinz).

Clink

Put my brand new Diadora Chilli MTB winter boots (size 10) one here for sale at £55 and didn't get a single response

I was interested but your sizing comments put me off! 😀

timberjack
    Free Member

I went rround every bike shop in newcastle about 6 weeks ago and there wasn't one shop that had any bigger than a size 9, so i phoned my local bike shop in Hexham and i told him i wanted the new lake winter boot (mx 140 )and he ordered two different sizes in so i could try them. He did me a brilliant deal too , matching the cheapest i had seen them advertised and he also knocked money off a new set of cleats, brilliant service,

hitman
    Free Member

Try thicker socks and neoprene overshoes – all I ever use and my feet stay dry and warm 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

I like my Sealskinz socks lined with merino wool, if I lace my 5:10 cycling trainers loosely I can fit some walking socks on underneath them.

You can't beat toasty warm feet.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Normal shoes and cut up a seal skin in very large size to fit over the top! Just cut the cleat hole out the bottom and away you go.

paul78
    Free Member

I checked stock level at work of shimano and Lake winter boots.. the mw80 and lake winter boots were both out of stock but madison have the mt91 gore tex boot in at last..

I know my shop as a few pairs of mw80's but biggest size being 43:(

james
    Free Member

"up a seal skin in very large size to fit over the top! Just cut the cleat hole out the bottom and away you go"

wtf? Whats wrong with overshoes?

Christowkid
    Free Member

I had exactly the same experience in late October. Decided to bite the bullet and at least try on some winter boots for size. Phoned every shop in the area ( about 6-7 in all ), and had to choose from 1 shimano boot of the wrong size!
    They'd all get them in for me, if i told them the size…..missing the point exactly that I wanted to try some on for size, especially as I like to wear 2 pairs of socks which throws out sizing, and different manufacturers and different countires of manufacture means the sizing is not an exact art.
    In the end went to my normal lbs and tried on a different Spesh boot for sizing as they said the spesh Defrosters were sized the same, then they got me a pair of Deforsters in +/- a size for fit to try on.
    Sorted!
    ….but it was an effort. I thought it was just down here, being a bit backward and that…
    but I do like the feel of warm dry tootsies so persevere that man!
    cheers
    Q

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member
    Put my brand new Diadora Chilli MTB winter boots (size 10) one here for sale at £55 and didn't get a single response

How do these come up size wise ?? .. normally take a 9 or 43 … did have 2 pairs of northwaves turn up in a 43 and 44 and had to send both pairs back as they were too tight …waiting for refunds now before i can reorder some bigger ones..
    namastebuzz …. email me with info please if you still have them ?

cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really need to try them on as I do have very weird feet!

I'm kind of glad to get rid of the MT90 to be honest. Where I ride, the problem seems to be all the splash coming over the top of the boot so I'd like something with the collar.

Another thing is that over the pond, they do half sizes between the most common ones in Shimano shoes. No such luxury over here.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have some brand new Northwave GTX boots in size 44 that i am just about to return to Wiggle if anyones interested,

samuri
    Free Member

pairs of northwaves turn up in a 43 and 44 and had to send both pairs back as they were too tight

Yeah, my Northwaves in 44 always feel tight. I have to make sure my toenails are clipped before I can put them on. Saying that, they are excellent boots. Toasty warm and very waterproof. I've worn mine twice today and they really do their job well.

See also Sealskin windproof gloves, superb!

BillyBull
    Free Member

Sure there were still winter boots in the Hexham Bike shop when I was in on Saturday. Not sure what size. Give them a bell. Good little shop.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

what size are you after?

Shackleton

Slight hijack – how do people find Lake shoe sizing compared to other brands? I'm interested in some MX140 but can't find anyone willing to order a pair (of any style) in my size to try on without me paying upfront so need to make a best guess.

Cheers,

P

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's half the problem, wanting to be able to run a thicker sock in them, I guess about a 44 but I've got "odd" feet so until I've tried everything on I'm not going to know really.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘why is it impossible to buy winter boots?’ is closed to new replies.