Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Why heels down?
  • palmer77
    Free Member

As the title, what does this help?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It increases grip with the pedal, although it could also be described as keeping you ‘in’ the bike. Your feet can’t fly forwards off the pedal when the heels are down.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

try it and see – seems to increase your linkage to the bike plus it keeps your weight behind the pedals I suppose, rather than edging forward towards the front of the bike.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Stabilises bike, improves traction, stops feet coming off pedals

doug_basqueMTB.com

Also lowers CoG.

If someone was going to try and pull you off the bike, over the bars, you’d naturally sink your weight down and back and drop your heels.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Your feet can’t fly forwards off the pedal when the heels are down

they can slip behind the pedal if bounced off the pedal from a bump, and then your DMR style pedal rips the front of your shin open because the studs are so sharp, and then you spend 4+ hours in A&E waiting for it to be stitched up.

Clipped in and heels down works as well…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Do you mean ankling?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Less of your pervy stuff Bazza.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

8)

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Erm,

just remembered, haven’t posted you those pics of a young girl in rubber yet.

Will get the Zach to sort it later.

thomthumb
    Free Member

much easier to loft the frontwheel than with toes down.

MSP

thomthumb – Member

much easier to loft the frontwheel than with toes down.

What? care to explain that.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Cheers Beans!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Manuals (lofting the front) isn’t really done by physically lifting the front with one’s arms; it’s more about moving body weight back and pushing the bike forward. This is considerably easier (at least for me) to do if the heels are down and I can push on the pedals with the soles of my feet. Im not sure I can even imagine how that would be possible if my toes were pointing down.

brooess
    Free Member

as above +
    1. When you brake hard, your body carries moving forward. If your heels are down you move ‘into’ the pedals which stops your weight moving forwaard, If heels are high your weight is more likely to move forward and you over the bars (or at least, less control). Try stopped hard and throwing your weight back as you do it – feels much more controlled
    2. If riding flats it means you push the bike back into the ground on drops – stops bike disappearing from beneath you and keeps you in control

ampthill

its not just grip which wouldn’t apply if you were clipped in. Its not just lowering you centre of gravity, or you could just bend your knees. its to do with dynamic stability. With heals dropped if you brake hard or hit something as you move forward on the bike your centre of gravity will drop as your heals go down. So this drives the bike forward and resists you going over the bars.

JohnnyPanic

Also, having suffered a bit of knee strain this year, I can say that climbing with heels down puts far less strain on the knees.

palmer77
    Free Member

So I have tried the heels down approach and it does feel more controlled. As I ride a hard tail I am used to using my legs to absorb impacts from drops etc. However with the heels down approach it does seem to mean that the legs are locked and therefore less able to flex with drops. Should I have heels down and bent knees?

ampthill

palmer77

Yes I think so

for me thats hard with the saddle at pedalling height

tyredbiker
    Free Member

yeah you need to drop your saddle on descents so that you can get your weight right back and over the back wheel. Don’t lock your knees, if you can’t be bothered lowering your saddle then try and at least keep ‘microbends’ in the knee otherwise you will end up having all sorts of joint problems. On a HT myself and find that hips and feet placement (as well as looking where you are going) is the most important thing, having hips and feet down and back allows the front wheel to skim over bumps more as well as feeling much more in control when going down steep bits (it also allows you to bail out safely as you can just get off the back of the bike)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Should I have heels down and bent knees?

Yes. For a lot of trail riding, the saddle’s ‘best’ place is high enough to still allow a fair degree of comfort/efficiency when you pedal, but low enough to allow you a good range of motion on the bike, and the bike a good range of motion under you.

Bunnyhop

After a few tips from still tortoise and Dale from off here, I’ve been practising hard with keeping the heels down on descents, it really works.

Also I’ve changed my brake levers to a better position so that my wrists aren’t so far over the bars, meaning i’m not reaching over and reducing my chances of going otbs.

jonrambo
    Free Member

Do NOT flex your knees! I recommend having splints on to avoid the urge to flex!

skaifan
    Free Member

It helps to keep your feet on the pedals if you’re running flats. Also puts your weight behind the mid point of the bike slightly, which keeps the front end light over bumps which reduces the eftect of the bumps on steering. It also helps keep the rear wheel planted and ploughing a straight furrow.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do NOT flex your knees!

You mean that legs should be kept straight?

robsoctane
    Free Member

@Jon rambo: What’s that now?

jedi

its about under rotation and keeping you oposing the forces that hit you when riding off road. same as wrists

SOAP
    Free Member

As jedi says + it keeps your weight back and into the bike to allow the front end to become light and take hits.
    I can feel my saddle with my knees when descending which keeps me central.
    when you get better you will find your all over the pedals transferring weight without thinking to much!

slowrider
    Free Member

A wise bloke pointed out to me yesterday ‘it’s physics innit? Opposing forces. All forces you encounter riding along come at you in a diagonal direction from the ground upwards so having your wrists and heels dropped means you have something stable to push against.’

He then said something like ‘did that look alright?’ and went and rode some scary woodwork…

jedi

slowrider, but did it live up to your expectaions 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

I can’t answer that without sounding like I have a man crush 😉

jedi

pmsl!
    at least you have learned the truth now 🙂

sv

at least you have learned the truth now

Man love? 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

No sv not The Truth, just the truth

Was tempted to join you today Jedi, time constraints got on the way though.

Some time soon…

jedi

🙂
    work on the skills set i taught you and i will see you soon

grantway
    Free Member

Dont just ride with your heels down
    You need also to have your knees slightly bent including your arms.
    The whole idea is to push into the terrain taking the impact of small and large hits.
    and keeping traction with the bike and will also give you more control on the descents

When you feel right on this then try pumping for speed, the Two will become one
    once you get the understanding of the first.

palmer77
    Free Member

Hey, thanks for the tips. I will endeavour to try this out in the week 🙂

jonrambo
    Free Member

Its always a good idea to have your heels scraping the floor, that way you can always use them as brakes aswell, especially if your brakes fail!!

seosamh77
    Free Member

try your next dh with your toes pointing down, then let us know the results.

jedi

lol 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Why heels down?’ is closed to new replies.