Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why don't you get a discount on self-scan checkouts?
  • Pook

logical that you should really

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

you do, it just doesn't appear until you make the payment

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

don't they expect you not to scan some of the stuff ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MartynS

do you mean if you buy something like 2 for £2 you're not seeing the saving? its normally taken off at the end.

or is that not what you ment..!

trail_rat
    Free Member

probably meant a discount for doing the labourious part of scanning …

Pook

Yeah – say you scan a tenner's worth of stuff yourself shouldn't it be knocked down to say £9.98, ie: not involving staff, shouldn't that expense be taken off the bill?

The 'Well done, you did it yourself' discount 😀

monksie_
    Free Member

Why don't we have to pay extra for somebody else scanning our purchases for us?

scotia
    Free Member

you mean like:

Self-Diservice Checkout
    SUPERMARKET | SHEFFIELD, UK
    (A customer is getting frustrated at the self-checkout.)

Customer: *shouting* “Miss! Miss!”

Me: *with another customer* “One minute, please, I’m helping this lady right now.”

Customer: *goes red in the face* “Miss!”

Me: “Give me a minute, please. I’ll come to you next.”

(The angry customer starts swearing and hitting the machine. The customer I am working with politely offers to wait while I go to the other customer. I apologize and go to the angry customer.)

Me: “Can I help you?”

Customer: “The stupid machine stopped working!”

Me: “An item you have scanned isn’t on the metal bagging pad. Mind if I take a look?”

Customer: *grunts*

(I find that all but three items of a 30+ item shop has not been scanned. I explain the situation.)

Customer: “Oh God, no! I can’t do all this again!”

Me: “No problem! I’ll just put it all through for you.”

Customer: “No! It won’t save me any money that way!”

Me: “You don’t save any money with self-scan checkouts. I mean, you still pay for it all.”

Customer: “This is stupid! I shouldn’t have to pay for it all if I’m doing your job for you!”

Pook

Exactly. That's what i just read that mde me think the customer was actually talking sense.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes, I was thinking of that 🙂

ziggy
    Free Member

Steaks weighed as potatoes gives you a generous discount 😆

MartynS

ohhhhh I see.. *goes away to think a bit more*

STATO
    Free Member

I always use the normal tills now after getting questioned about how i was scanning items and what i was putting in the bag. Id put 2 different bakery items in the same bag (save the planet etc.) and the self-scan till couldnt handle it, wanted them 1 at a time. I was practically accused of stealing till i just stepped back and told the member of staff that i 'funnily enough' hadnt been trained on how to scan items to Tesco standards and if anything went wrong it wasnt my fault. She was quite appologetic tho so i wasnt bothered.

Why is it tho there always seem to be bigger ques at self-scan than normal tills these days?

brakes
    Free Member

I would actually be prepared to pay more at self-scan checkouts, I don't like dealing with miserable supermarket checkout staff who believe that the job is beneath them, and it's good fun too

sas
    Free Member

Why aren't you charged extra for the freedom to scan and pack items at your leisure, instead of in a mad rush with the cashier throwing items at you?

Would you rather queue for one manned checkout or four self scan ones?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

….and then there's the hassle when you put your pannier / backpack, whatever on the plastic bag bit. No I don't want to use your effing plastic bags, so shut up moaning about 'unexpected items'.

Oh, and could they turn the volume down on teh damn things as well?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why is it tho there always seem to be bigger ques at self-scan than normal tills these days?

Becasue we can avoid standing in queues with thick people who have to get someone to do it for them….. 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Most of the ones in our local supermarkets are a lot quieter and say less than they used to. Apart from Asda, where I guess it's down to the thick people again, who need telling very loudly that "NOTES ARE DISPENSED BELOW THE SCANNER YOU STUPID, HALFWITTED CHAV!"

miketually
    Free Member

I went into B&Q the other day and the only checkouts open were the self service ones. Putting planks of wood on the scales is interesting.

sobriety
    Free Member

Because three of the four self scans are occupied by people who don't know what a barcode is.

retro83
    Free Member

Cheesyfeet – Member

….and then there's the hassle when you put your pannier / backpack, whatever on the plastic bag bit. No I don't want to use your effing plastic bags, so shut up moaning about 'unexpected items'.

Bottom right corner, the speaker icon is the volume control (at least for sainsburys)

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Tesco ones seem quite good – option to use your own bags.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I was at the self-scan the other day where you put it straight into the bag, and the lady stops me before I start and say don't you want to use the one behind you? (It was one where you scan and then you let the stuff go down the belt to the end of the 'counter' and then pack all the stuff at that end.)
    And I said 'no, because then I have to do twice as much work because I'd have to scan it put it down and then bag it at the end. While I'd much rather just scan and pack as it is much more efficient especially as my child is whining to go.
    She frowned at me and said, 'Well I could pack the things for you.'
    'No thank you. It's faster this way.' I said.

konabunny
    Free Member

Because three of the four self scans are occupied by people who don't know what a barcode is.

And yet no-one who's ever got snooty with checkout peeps has ever recanted their views…

molgrips
    Free Member

I just go in the quickest looking one. Not always the self-scan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends how i feel and what im buying 😉 feel shitty buying like 2 quids worth of items on a card … so ill use self service – if they are quietish – no ammount of feeling shitty will make me feel as silly as standing in the queue for self service when normal tils are empty 😉

Rio

This morning I was about to put my stuff on the conveyor belt at a till in Tesco when one of the staff asked if I'd like to use the self-service scanner in the next row. I thought this must be part of an initiative to encourage people to use them but she put the self-scanner into a staff-operated mode and scanned everything for me and put it in my bag, then put it back into self-scan mode. Very good service but it sort of made me wonder where the savings are. 😕

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Rio, you must look a bit, er, special.

Rio

lol- or she was trying to pick me up! 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Deffo hitting on you…

samuri
    Free Member

Should we also be making savings on self service petrol stations then?

jimster
    Free Member

Our local Morrisons always seem to close the tills just before the queues drop down to 1 person at the till at a time. 😈 Consequently the self-scan check has a queue have way the aisles!! 😈 😈

MrNutt
    Free Member

PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF! PLACE THE ITEM ON THE PACKING SHELF!

MrNutt
    Free Member

UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF! UNEXPECTED ITEM ON PACKING SHELF!

El-bent
    Free Member

Why don't you get a discount on self-scan checkouts?

Because companies biggest expenditure is staff costs, if they can get you to do the work that one of their employees used to do and still charge the same means they have to employ less people and this in turn increases profits.

Bleeding obvious if you ask me. 😉

xcgb
    Free Member

LOL @ Mr Nutt
    it must drive the folk that work next to them crazy

BontyBuns
    Free Member

You put your bag on first, before you have even started scanning anything or touched the screen. The machines zero the scales at the begining of every transaction.

chutney13
    Free Member

you can turn the volume off in sainsbury's.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Aproval needed! Aproval needed! Have you swiped your Nectar card?
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm forty bleedin' six, and I don't need the aproval of an effing machine to buy a beer!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I don't like dealing with miserable supermarket checkout staff who believe that the job is beneath them, and it's good fun too

Is it as much fun as asking the checkout person if they wish they'd stuck in at school? Usually best to wait till bags are packed and change is pocketed before you do though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Why don't you get a discount on self-scan checkouts?’ is closed to new replies.