Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why Don't Hope make Purple Chainrings?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I am looking to put some 90’s purple on my forthcoming fluorescent yellow Santacruz Chameleon. Im planning purple hope E4 brakes, floating rotors and a purple chainring.
    I’m surprised hope still only do the retainer ring in black, gold and silver.
    Any idea why?
    (other than the fact anodised purple should of stayed in the 90’s)
    Ill get one from raceface if the colours are close enough I just like hope products.

Andy

andysredmini
    Free Member

Bump.

garage-dweller

Have you tried emailing them and asking if they can get one done for a project bike? Worst they can do is say no surely?

Phil_H

I’m sure I saw one on a bike at the poc enduro at the weekend, it did belong to a hope sponsored rider though.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Just stick a black one on and ride the thing.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

It’s annoying, I have hope blue bits all over my bike yet they don’t do the brakes in anything other than black or purple. I wish they’d do common colours for all their parts.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get a silver one & paint it purple? The anodising wears off the teeth anyway.

Northwind

You could speak to Steve the Anodiser, see if he can do one for you? Did a beautiful job of my frame (and a perfect colourmatch on a replacement part for it). Cheaper than you’d think too.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I will email hope and ask. I’m guessing after reading the info on their website that its because they are hard anodised.
    Can hard anodising be done in purple?

@bikeneil – Member
    Just stick a black one on and ride the thing.

I love comments like yours. So helpful thanks.
    If I had the bike and I was desperate to ride it I would put a black on on and “just ride the thing”. As mentioned in my original post the bike is forthcoming. I’m about 6 weeks away from getting the frame so I have plenty of time to debate the merits of a purple chainring.

Andy

cliffyc
    Free Member

Must be do-able, ask ’em nicely and it’s surely just a case of putting it in the anodising tank along with pedals or suttin’? 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

Hard anodising can be coloured by dyeing the anodic film. Hard anodising colours (except clear and black) are much less appealing than those of sulphuric anodising because the additional thickness gives a more dull, grey finish.

This may have something to do with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why Don't Hope make Purple Chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.