• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jond.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why doesn't peanut butter taste like peanuts ?
  • Well, it doesn't, does it ?
    Eat a spoonful of peanut butter.
    Eat a handful of peanuts and chew them until they are either Crunchy or Smooth.
    It's not the same at all is it ?. Why not ?

Oh yeah, strawberries and strawberry jam. That's another one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it tastes nutty! they add a bit more palm oil to make it more maleable. still tasty good yummy stuff though. slam it beteen some seed bread or pitta and yer good to go for hours!

spooky_b329

Peanut butter, healthy or unhealthy?

Never gave it a thought until I was told it was really unhealthy, I'm unconvinced and suspect the word 'butter' led them to believe its unhealthy.

shermer75
    Free Member

There's an absolute mother-lode of calories in there, which is not good if ya wanna lose weight. Other than that I reckon it's fairly healthy stuff. Pretty much all they do in the factory is shell them, get rid of the outer coat + germ and then mush them into a pulp. It's about 95% peanut. There is so much oil contained within the peanut that you don't really need any extra, the palm oil is added mainly to stop the oil + the solids from separating- altho it does help make it smoother as well. Oh, and there's a touch of salt in there too. 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Depends a bit on the brand, but loaded with fat, sugar and salt. Not a "healthy" food by any stretch of the imagination. Delicious though, and as for those Reeses things…

shermer75
    Free Member

It's about 50% fat!! The bulk of that is unsaturated tho, and it's quite easy to buy stuff without trans-fats at all. Just done some research and it looks like a fair bit of sugar is added too- about 10%- which is a bit shyet, because it tastes just as good when you make it without it (yes I have done this- it's surprisingly easy! 🙂 )

flipiddy
    Free Member

This stuff is pretty nice and tastes remarkably like peanuts. Packed full of energy too.

johnners
    Free Member

Packed full of energy too

Yup, just like half a pint of vegetable oil with a dessert spoon of sugar chucked in.

shermer75
    Free Member

Heh heh 😆 !

RichPenny
    Free Member

Meridian make peanut butter which is pretty nice, normally found in your health food shop. They also do Cashew nut butter, bloody tasty stuff 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

No added sugar in the Whole Earth pb – and it's yummy.

badnewz
    Free Member

Because it tastes of crap.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup Whole earth is lovely – BTW most have Palm oil in them so it solidifies room temperature. Palm oil can be sourced from non-sustainable sources (i.e. cutting down forests etc etc) but the whole earth is from sustainable sources. Alot of people think palm oil is bad as it is saturated however recent research suggests it is not cholesterologenic unlike animal fats and unrefined Palm oil has loads of Vitamins in it as well 🙂

IdleJon

Peanut butter is an appetite suppressant so could be quite useful for losing weight……..

Bez

Whole Earth is just nuts with a bit of palm oil and salt, so it does very much taste of peanuts. Even more so Waitrose Wholenut, which is the same ingredients but 97% nuts instead of 95% for Whole Earth.

Sun-Pat and replica brands, however, are to peanuts what a McDonald's cheeseburger is to a cow.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Try the Meridian one, no added shite like sunpat and the like, actually tastes like peanuts, it's mega. comes in a big bucket from most health food shops.

ran out today and had some emergengy sunpat stuff I found lurking in the cupboard, all I could taste was a clarty mess of sugar and salt.

spooky_b329

Might give it a go again, remember trying some a few years back but marmite won hands down 🙂

IdleJon

spooky_b329 – Member
    Might give it a go again, remember trying some a few years back but marmite won hands down

Try it with jam or banana. Nom, nom, nom.

DrJ

American food = sh1te.

End of.

_tom_
    Free Member

Peanut butter with strawberry jam on toast is so good. Can't have it often though, too sickly.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

peanut butter, salad cream and cucumber sandwiches are the food of the gods

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I always take peanut butter sarnies on rides; as it keeps me going and I can always stomach it.

zaskar
    Free Member

The answer:

You know all those dead squirrels you see on the road? its made out of that.

Seriously, its butter, peanuts, sugar etc you are mixing things as in food chemistry' and making new products.

I think peanuts add to the thickness and protein content but very fattening.

duntmatter
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

Peanut butter is an appetite suppressant so could be quite useful for losing weight……..

Is that in the same way that a fried Mars bar is an appetite suppressant? 😉 Or is there more science to it?

_tom_ – Member

Peanut butter with strawberry jam on toast is so good. Can't have it often though, too sickly.

I have that every day for breakfast. Mmm, gonna have to go and get some now!

benji_allen
    Free Member

I just had spotted dick. Guess what? It didn't taste like the pudding.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well, it doesn't, does it ?

Does to me. Very very close.

Houns

Ooh tell me more about the Cashew butter!

grahamb
    Free Member

PB also goes well with tahini.

IdleJon

duntmatter – Member

IdleJon – Member

Is that in the same way that a fried Mars bar is an appetite suppressant? Or is there more science to it?

Lol.

There is apparently more science to it, but I can't be bothered to provide links, so you'll have to google it…. 😉

rootes1

i have always found that in weird food stakes that the yolk of a picked egg tastes more vinegary that the white in pickles eggs..

jond
    Free Member

>Try the Meridian one, no added shite like sunpat and the like, actually tastes like peanuts, it's mega. comes in a big bucket from most health food shops.

+1

Indeed, a nice big (relatively cheaper) 1kg bucket 🙂 – it's loads better than the other stuff, plus palm oil production is very unenvironmentally friendly, should you care (deforestation/loss of habitat..). There's really no need for all the added crap…just mtfu and mix it every time you open the lid 😉
    Usually all Holland & Barrett have is crunchy – it does come in smooth too, but I've yet to find any. Lobbing the crunchy stuff through a pestle and mortar is hard work, but do-able, if you're so inclined.

Fattening ? Dunno, I seem to eat quite a bit of it with no ill-effects to the waistline, tho' I guess it adds a fair bit of protein to my meat-light protein intake.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't peanut butter taste like peanuts ?’ is closed to new replies.