Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why does my **** b/b start creaking after Chariot pulling ?!
  • woool
    Free Member

Frame is an On-one 456 Ti, bottom bracket is Hope (but have also tried Shimano).

B/b is installed using Finishline Ti prep, b/b threads are de-greased and well cleaned out before installation. Tighten everything up nicely, install chain rings, all ring bolts tight and crank bolt.

I can then ride with no problems, no creaks from the b/b. Happy days…

Then I take the little one out in the Chariot. After a couple of rides of admittedly tugging a bit harder on the cranks the b/b starts creaking. Unhitch the Chariot and the creak remains. The b/b still feels tight, as are all the bolts. From this point on creak only gets worse until it's unbearable.

Nothing to do now except, take out the b/b and go back to step 1 which stops the creak but only until I've been out pulling the Chariot again.

Please help, what am I missing? The noise is definitely from the b/b as after I disassemble/clean/ti-prep it goes away.

Ta for help from anyone.

Ogg

a friend had a similar problem – turned out it was the rear quick release being/coming slightly loose not the BB.

Ogg

mtbfix

Ogg's reasoning sounds more plausible. What QR do you have? I cannot see how, other than the pedalling load being up'ed, the trailer would impact on the BB so much.

woool
    Free Member

Thanks.

I thought about this after doing some previous searches…

The Chariot has it's own QR which has a socket for the ball joint (which connects the Chariot). It looks like this.

After it starts creaking and I stick my normal Hope QR in, the creak is still there – this is what made me think it wasn't the QR.

I've also tried greasing my QR contact points just in case, which made no difference. Like I said the only way to get rid of the creak was to remove/clean/ti-prep the b/b.

singlespeedstu

Try wrapping the threads on the BB cups with PTFE tape before you reinstall them.

handyman
    Free Member

check seatpost clamp, my mates 456ti creaks at this area until he regrease the clamp

woool
    Free Member

Ta Stu, I did actually try this at one point with some success. Might try it again, maybe in combo with the Ti-prep.

handyman, it's not the seat post clamp, I know this because it's also creaking at the moment – a different type of creak, less repetitive (i.e. not with crank pressure).

I appreciate the suggestions people.

woool
    Free Member

Stu, I meant to ask – did you meant tape as well as grease (or equivalent) ?

singlespeedstu

Yep tape first then grease over the top and in the BB shell.

woool
    Free Member

Cheers Stu – I'll give that a go. Maybe some gypsy spit on top of the grease for good luck!

brassneck

Check your BB for coins and sweets, that's whats usually knackered my DVD player after the kids have been near it 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why does my **** b/b start creaking after Chariot pulling ?!’ is closed to new replies.