Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Why do you live where you live?
  • br
    Free Member

Goole (born)
    Harlow
    Hull centre
    Sutton, Hull
    Armley, Leeds
    Morley, Leeds
    Aylesbury
    Ratingen, Dusseldorf
    Aylesbury

All moves work related.

And later this year we are moving to near Melrose, Scottish Borders – and this is because we want to, and is not work related 🙂

vegasdave
    Free Member

Stoke-on-Trent -Born
    Stoke-on-Trent -will die sometime in the future!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Parents from London / Home counties. Moved to Bristol for work in 1952.

1965 – born in Bristol.

2012 – still in Bristol.

Have always lived within a 3 mile radius of where I was born. Have worked 50 miles away, for two years, other than that always walked to school and work. Kids walk to school, one to primary school 10 mins one way, one to secondary school 10 mins the other way.

Live in a quiet cul de sac with good size garden, 25 mins walk to the office in the centre of town.

Great mountain biking on the doorstep, great road riding on the doorstep, great motorcycling on the doorstep (well, 20 mins over the Severn bridge). What’s not to like?

Only places I’ve been in the UK I’d consider living are Glasgow, Brighton, and possibly Sheffield. That’s it.

dawson

Born in Worksop, North Notts > 2 years in Leeds at Uni > then back in Worksop since.

Kids coming towards secondary school age and the missus wants to move to get them into a different secondary school, which I fear will kill my riding.
    I generally ride twice a week in Clumber Park from my door throughout the year, and while its not exactly the most techy of riding, I know every inch of the woods, its not too far to ride to Sherwood Pines either.

The prospect of having to put my bike in the car every time I want to ride makes me feel sad – I don’t fancy being a roadie (yet?) – will have to consider any new house with an eye on local riding…

EDIT: just re-read that and it sounds really maudlin – sorry.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

not sure if I live in portsmouth or guildford

souldrummer
    Free Member

I was born in Bath but ended up in Woking after a few moves around the UK as a child. I bought my first, and only, house in Guildford over 30 years ago as, at that time, housing here was cheaper than Woking. I went to university as a very mature student and rented this place out and had no intention of coming back. After my bachelors and masters degrees I couldn’t get a job so ended up coming back here as at least I could have a roof over my head. I ended up getting a job fairly local to here so have stayed put. As I have said in another post, I really like Guildford, even with all its faults. I still have friends and family round here, so, until I retire, I think this is it. it.

samuri
    Free Member

Born in Manchester, lived there for four years. My dad was a big climber so we moved to New Mills then. Grew up in New Mills which was awesome..

Work drove me after that. Moved to Liverpool for a couple of years, then Manchester, now live in Leigh near Wigan. It’s useful being at the crossroads of the M6 and M62 and I’m close to work but I miss the proper hills.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Why do I live in the lake district? See those hills, the ones next to those lakes…?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Because despite Edinburgh City Council granting permission to desecrate a UNESCO world heritage site for no logical reason, the city remains beautiful beyond words on its best days.

And I can ride Calton Hill, Arthurs Seat, Castle Hill & the Water Of Leith on my lunch.

Smashing.

MrOvershoot

Born Nottingham>
    Glasgow>
    Thornbury>
    Bristol>
    Wotton-Under-Edge>
    Gloucester>
    Wotton-Under-Edge>
    Bristol>
    Wirral – been here 15 years now still like it

headpotdog
    Free Member

Brought up near Kendal. Went to Uni in Sheffield & really wanted to live near there because of the biking, but ended up getting a job in Leeds instead. Went rock climbing at the Cow & Calf rocks above Ilkley about 15 years ago & fell in love with Wharfedale. Met my wife in Leeds a few years later & after we got married decided to move to an area better for bringing up a family & I knew that Wharfedale would be perfect.
    Been here ever since & it’s fantastic. Only an hour from my parents in Cumbria. Decent rides from the door & loads to choose from within an hours drive. Great people, good pubs & restaurants nearby. Leeds is only 30 minutes away, so city life is easily accessible when we want it too. It’s got everything we need. Love it!

BoardinBob

I long to move away to sunnier shores, and as much as I love travelling and do it all the time, i love my home. Apparently as a child, according to my parents, as soon as I’d cross the border into England, I’d start crying and as soon as we crossed back on the way home, I’d stop

I’ve lived abroad before and was offered relocation to China a couple years ago but I really struggle with the concept of leaving my home country

twohats
    Free Member

Born and raised in Leeds, met a Swedish girl and now stuck here in Gothenburg, Sweden…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I graduated n 92 in the mini recession. I got one job offer in Somerset. I have changed jobs once since but never felt like leaving the area.

aracer
    Free Member

Because my kids live here

Kevevs
    Free Member

because it’s by the coast and the mountains and my family, the 3 things I give a shit about.

postierich
    Free Member

Born Sunny Scunny 17years
    joned HM Forces lived in Germany 5 years
    Demobbed back to Scunny 6years
    Married moved to Scarborough(Partners job)4years
    Left Scarborough to Lichfield (partners job)12 years
    Got divorced
    Hooked up with partner have child
    Leave Lichfield move to Kendal 8 months(partners job)
    Just waiting for it to go tits up 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Went prospecting in parts of the world then ended in the Toon. 😯

stewartc
    Free Member

Its near the wifes place

shifter
    Free Member

I live on the gold Coast of North East Lincolnshire ’cause the pays good and the houses are cheap.

stanfree
    Free Member

Born in Aberdeen , grew up In Elgin . Moved to London for 5 years at the age of 23 . Then moved back to Scotland but couldn’t afford Edinburgh so bought a house In east lothian and been here ever since. Been offered a job in Oz but would really miss living near Edinburgh so I doubt I’ll move anywhere else.

OzInbred

Born in Maidstone, Uni in Portsmouth, back to Maidstone, London for 6 months, Melbourne (Aus) for 7 years, Hebden Bridge for 5 years, now back in Melbourne for the past 3.5 years. Although Hebden Bridge will be home next year.

I blame the wife for all the moving (she’s an Aussie).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Milton Keynes (born before it was there)
    Bedford, Oxford, London – educated
    Cornwall. Plymouth – more training
    Sydney
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Swansea,
    Taunton

How did I end up in Sussex for the last 18 years?

andytherocketeer

Bristol, Holland, Germany – cos that’s where work is, and the hills are nearby (now)

With what I do, work tends to dictate location.

NZCol

Fife, Aberdeen, Edinburgh,methven nz, Val d isere, vail, methven again, london, Wellington nz 13 years amigo and now stuck. Great city, lovely people, no desire to shft despite various pressures.

Denver, CO. Skiing, mountain biking and my wife.

Frodo

Born – Sheffield
    Childhood – North Derbyshire
    University – Manchester
    1st Job – Manchester
    2nd Job – York
    3rd Job – Stirling
    Moved back to Manchester for new job.

After getting fed up with living in Manchester moved to the High Peak.

I now have the best of both worlds and life is good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Born in dundee
    Brought up in arbroath
    Live in aberdeen , mrs t-r came here for pgde so i came up and found a decent job so we stayed

buttercup
    Free Member

Born in the East coast of the states.
    Stayed there through childhood.
    Homeless in the meidwest for a couple years.
    Moved to Cambridge for work.
    Then to Norwich for a fiance.
    Then to Thetford to be closer to work.
    (although, if I could do it all over again, I would have gone to sheffield in the beginning)
    Work is now in the states. West side this time.
    Moving in a few weeks.

I have been and will be where I have been because there is no reason not to.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Born in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, apprenticeship and then redundancy in early eighties, job in New York city south Bronx, 6 dead in one day body without head come home survived. More years of factory work, marriage, house , children and more redundancy, relocation to Yeovil without family, new friends great riding Somerset and Dorset beautiful counties but family problems mean back to Bromsgrove and built a new house had some lucky breaks of late and live in a very nice area opposite the woods and in conclusion Bromsgrove isn’t such a bad place to grow old in 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

Born in Wirksworth, moved mid-teens to London and stayed till my mid-twenties. Work gave me a year each in New York, Oslo, Rome and Bergen. Swapped jobs and ended up in Rawtenstall, and a further job move resulted in the last five years have been in Crumpsall. I do wonder where it all went wrong 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeadon -> Swansea -> Yeadon -> Wolverhampton -> Yeadon -> Very central London -> Otley -> King’s Lynn.

The london and King’s Lynn ones were partner driven.

Got itchy feet now for a move from King’s Lynn (even though I really quite like where I live) but tied to my address until the NHS have finished with me as policy sends me to back of queue if I move (yes, really!)

EDIT – oh, and it’s where my house is, which makes it a convenient place to live 😉

Rachel

jam-bo

It’s nice, I like it.

dazz
    Free Member

It’s where my house is

TheFopster
    Free Member

Live where I live due to schools and job. In that order. Purely a practical decision, but only 15 minutes from Woburn so could be worse…

BadlyWiredDog

Hills on four sides.

yunki
    Free Member

We moved here because the accommodation was ideal and the riding was superb.. with a good school and family nearby..

Sadly I left behind a large and very close knit small town community that I had built myself a well loved position in over the last 20 years..

flap_jack
    Free Member

grew up pretty much ‘off grid’ on the Isle of Wight. Bored bored bored. So now live in the heart of the biggest new town (Milton Keynes) and love the futuristic modernity, and that it’s 30 minutes to central London.

And the types of riding I love are on my doorstep (endless tight cheeky singletrack at Woburn for MTB, relentless hammering through rolling countryside of Aylesbury vale for road).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hills on four sides.

Don’t you feel vulnerable to attack ?

I would move to higher ground.

peajay

Fort William, born and raised, have evolved webbed feet and a set of gills to deal with the crappy weather, often ask my self what the hell am I doing here, life doesn’t have to be this wet! Then now and again the sun comes out and all is good again,

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Why do you live where you live?’ is closed to new replies.