• This topic has 95 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • why do they sling dog do bags?
  • marcus7
    Free Member

Just got back from a quick spin round delamere and was (as usual) ducking and diving bags of dog doo which lovely dog walkers have slung into the trees and hang in majestic bundles at head height. Why? there are even instructions from the forestry to just flick anything with a stick into the ditches at the side of the paths. you dont even need a bag.. A lot of riding in the forest is just off the main paths and in recent times its become a bit of a hazard. Why, Why, Why?

Jamie
    Free Member

Because people are idiots.

anagallis_arvensis

As a dog owner I had to say I have no idea, its bizare, why pick it up if your not going to bin it?

falkirk-mark

Because someone has seen their dog shitting and they feel obliged to pick it up . Then they lob it when out of sight. That is the only reason I can think of

lord
    Free Member

could you not use it as a pocket hand warmer ? maybe wrong time of year ?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

how do you know they're bags of dog toffee ?

just for the record i own 2 dogs – i clearup and fetch it home. which is fun when you've been out with the dogs on a sunday evening and you get up too early monday morning and suddenly realise it is a bag of dog toffee in your coat pocket uuurrgh! what next? standing outside pubs smoking ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah it's been posted before marcus. I did point out that it takes great skill, and often many attempts, to get a bag full of dog's shit to hang from the high branches of a tree. OK, sometimes they fall a bit low, but what would you rather I did – put them in my pocket and took them home ffs ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw one of these for the first time in my local woods on Friday afternoon, had only heard of it on here before.

Must have been some northerners visiting the area.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I was sorely tempted to start a thread like this today, having witnessed it on a hike in the hills this morning, and a ride around where I live later on – I just don't get it. I'm sick to death of it; it seems to be becoming more and more 'popular' (for want of a better word) – yet these are people who clearly have some sort of connection with being in / enjoying the outdoors, yet their polution of it is quite gross.

I just can't understand the behaviour of the few that ruin it for the many and it's such an unpleasant thing to see. I don't know what can be done about it though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

how do you know they're bags of dog toffee ?

Exactly. I would strongly recommend that you don't go around opening bags which you find hanging from branches. Why would anyone want to do that ffs ?

chakaping
    Free Member

I don't know what can be done about it though.

Rub their noses in it!

LMT
    Free Member

There is a tree on my local canal path during the summer you can see the odd bag, once the leaves fall off the tree its disgusting the amount of bags of dog krap that can be seen, the whole tree is full of it! im surprised there is room for leaves to grow back in the spring

uplink
    Free Member

Well I always thought it was dog walkers picking it up & bagging it because others were around & hanging it on a tree/bush with the intention [ 😉 ] of picking it up when they return

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe it wasn't the dog that did the doo?

Lazy I guess.

I don't own a dog as I don't want to pick up poo.

Cats?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

maybe its a game ????
    see who can get highest and/or who's bag can hang the longest

dobo
    Free Member

Well I always thought it was dog walkers picking it up & bagging it because others were around & hanging it on a tree/bush with the intention [ ] of picking it up when they return

i think you got it half right, and i'm sure thats their excuse fishy guy.

i recon they hang it there as they dont want that shit in their pocket but they also have some warped moral dilema and dont want to leave it on the ground for other people and for when they walk the dog there the next day…

twang
    Free Member

hows about this one? Rather blatant. I guess they expect the woodland dog poo pixies to collect it up when everyones gone home….I'd like to squish it between their teeth! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

project
    Free Member

You may wish to follow dog walkers with a camera, or just follow them and see what theydo with the bag of shit,then next time you see them collect a bag and ram it up the car exhaust, or into the heating duct at the front of the bonnet.

Not that we as responsible adults would ever do such things.

Another point is wheelchair users after runing over shit have it on their wheels, and then the pusher has to clean it off, before the wheelchir gose in the car.NOT NICE, i know ive had to do it.

Northwind

"I guess they expect the woodland dog poo pixies to collect it up when everyones gone home…"

No joke, but that's exactly what some people think- I saw someone doing the put it in a bag then hang it on the tree thing, had a go at her, and she said "It's to make it easier for the rangers to tidy up". Didn't even know how to respond to that.

It's such a weird thing to do though… "OK, here's some poo, on some earth. It'll degrade away soon enough (though toxocara canis larvae can stay viable for years so that's not good). So, I could move it off the trail… Or I could put it in a plastic bag which will last for a century, then seal it so it can't decay, then HANG IT ON A TREE!"

Course, even bagging it then putting it in a dog waste bin or home bin is also a bit odd, for the same biodegrading reason- you've taken a short term waste and made it long term.

Toddboy
    Free Member

chakaping – Must have been some northerners visiting the area.

Chakaping, you're a complete idiot. 👿

ji
    Free Member

One reason is that many places have a £1000 fine for letting your dog foul…but no fine for littering.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno, but the bags my SO gets must be biodegradeable or summink. Theyr'e defo not watertight cos I grabbed one to put a manky wet sponge in after we'd cleaned the kitchen in our renty house, when I got home the back of the car was wet where it had leaked out. So maybe people who do hang do do bags off trees think they'll just like, vanish.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

epicsteve
    Free Member

Where I ride, despite there being lots of dog-walkers that use the area, it's not really a problem. What is a problem however is the amount of horse-sh1te that can be on the trails now that the access laws have changed.

I quite like seeing the horses out and about (especially when the lady riders have tight jodphurs on) but it seems odd that dog owners have to pick up the sh1te from their animals but horse riders don't.

mogrim

Why on earth would you bag dog poo when you're out for a walk in the countryside, anyway? In a park, on the pavement – of course, but in the countryside???

Kick it off the trail, and you're done.

Northwind

"I quite like seeing the horses out and about (especially when the lady riders have tight jodphurs on) but it seems odd that dog owners have to pick up the sh1te from their animals but horse riders don't. "

Not at all, dogs are carnivores, horses are herbivores- dog poo contains part digested red meat so it attracts pests, and it's pretty nasty stuff in its own right, because of the common presence of toxocara larvae, not to mention that it's long lived. Whereas horse poo is mainly just partly digested grass, it's still not pleasant to get covered in it but it's not harmful, it degrades faster, and it doesn't attract bugs in the same way. You can't really compare the two.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Had to laugh last week out driving. I came to the end of a T-Junction and stopped to check for traffic. A woman on a horse was coming toward the junction, and on seing my car from the side of it's blinkers the horse jumped into the next lane, where the approaching car had to slam on it's brakes to avoid an equine moment. The woman then started spouting forth and screaming about the car and how it should have slowed down. I looked and saw the huge pile of crap her horse had just done on the road and shouted at her "Your horse isn't capable of being on the roads, and clean that mess up while you'r there".

She shut up and rode off, chewing the marbles in her mouth angrily.

anagallis_arvensis

Had to laugh last week out driving. I came to the end of a T-Junction and stopped to check for traffic. A woman on a horse was coming toward the junction, and on seing my car from the side of it's blinkers the horse jumped into the next lane, where the approaching car had to slam on it's brakes to avoid an equine moment.

? Yeah thats really funny

Beagleboy

Around my way, the dogs seem split between pooing in bags and hanging them on trees, or putting the bags in the red poo bins. The dilemma for the poor wee puppies seems to be whether they should litter the paths, or litter our front garden and bay window when the filthy, pestilent, local chav's reach into the red bins, fish out the bags and throw them at windows. I'd like to catch a couple of them and rub their noses in it. 👿

oldgit
    Free Member

When I run with my dog I take bags in my pack. If he poos anywhere near the entrance to the woods and trails I bag it and bin it. If it's a way in I bag it and put it beside a tree or near a bush to pick up when I return.
    However deep into the woods were you only see ten people a year or less I'll kick into the undergrowth. Also if he poos off piste out of harms way I'll leave it.
    Sometimes I've returned and the bag has gone. And I notice that some poos I've had to avoid at the start of a run have gone when I get back, like something eaten them!
    How do you view my actions, because I do think alot about it, but I can't bring myself to run for an hour with doggy party bags in my hands.

Olly
    Free Member

Not at all, dogs are carnivores, horses are herbivores- dog poo contains part digested red meat so it attracts pests, and it's pretty nasty stuff in its own right, because of the common presence of toxocara larvae, not to mention that it's long lived. Whereas horse poo is mainly just partly digested grass, it's still not pleasant to get covered in it but it's not harmful, it degrades faster, and it doesn't attract bugs in the same way. You can't really compare the two.

+1, have you never noticed that dog poo stinks to high heaven, where as cow, horse, sheep shit doesnt.

there a sign oop llandegla along the lines of

"please dont bag your dog craps, we have no where to put it, its "the woods" ffs, just flick it off the path, into the trees and all will be well"

tis very astute of them.

ive no problems with dogs crapping in the country side, as long as im not gonna walk through it or ride through it.

antigee

bag it and take it home

my experience would be what some dog walkers consider far enough away from the car to leave it as is at side of path is within easy walking distance for my kids and kids usually run around in the leaves at the side of paths

as to bags in trees / on fences it seems to be amd more common – yes dog walkers are taking it off the path but just throwing it in the bushes isn't really making anywhere a pleasant place to be

and yes i spent 15minutes on Sunday wiping dog shit off a 6 year olds hands, legs, shorts, gloves , downtube, brakes and wheels – oh what fun it is

coffeeking
    Free Member

oldgit – your actions seem fine, but it still makes the place look grim when you leave them lying around, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Maybe someone only visits for half an hour and visits while your dog eggs are bagged by the trail, you've spoiled those peoples day/view just as much as the the people who left it there all week.

IMO if you're not prepared to bag it and carry it, or bag it and bin it (for whatever reason) you shouldn't have bought a dog, or taken it with you when you were unable/unwilling to pick it up. Off-piste is fine, leave the dog to it. But beware that off-piste to you may not be off-piste to others, like orienteering chaps etc. Though you have to draw the sensible line somewhere.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

A few years ago the mabie red route was having some repairs carried out and they redirected the start along some walkers/dog walking routes. I was shocked at how disgusting the smell was and eventually worked out that it was dog poo.

So not only do they spoil the scenery with doggy bags hanging all over the place. They actually turn their pleasant experience into a horrid, smelly dog poo infested torture.

Dont get me started on dog walkers letting their dogs crap on the grass area in front of my house. I have threatened to pick up dog poos in my hands and rub it in the owners face if they didnt take it with them. You should see their faces when they realise that i am serious. There are a lot of kids that use the grass area.

oldgit
    Free Member

Actually sorry if it sounds like back pedaling, I tend to run where there isn't anyone about i.e more than 100 metres from the car park/cafe/ice cream van.
    If I ran near the main area visited by people having a day out I'd have a hard job, it wouldn't look like much of a run more like a spazzy version of hopscotch due to the vast ammount of doggy doos underfoot.

DezB
    Free Member

I noticed a sign at Swinley saying to remove it from the paths – bag it or push it into the undergrowth – this seems ok to me too, but its obvious WHY scummy people chuck the bags in the bushes/trees – cos people are lazy, inconsiderate bastards.

It's just one of those many things that happen (eg. rubbernecking) that NOBODY does, but somehow it happens all the time.

I repeat, people are lazy inconsiderate bastards.

And so are dogs. I mean why go in the middle of a path if your owner is too much of a lazy inconsiderate bastard to move it or pick it up?

DrJ

Because dog owners are morons. That's why they own dogs in the first place.

richc
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher

ChrisS
    Free Member

I don't see what's wrong with using bio-degradable bags to lob the poo into the undergrowth, certainly better than getting poo all over your shoes trying to kick it off the path in the absence of suitable sticks…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘why do they sling dog do bags?’ is closed to new replies.