• This topic has 51 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Why do people stop for a rest or wait for stragglers
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

in the middle of the bloody trail???

I don't get it at all.

cheers_drive

Yes it's annoying. I'm very aware of not stopping in the middle of the trail but a lot of people I ride with are not, even after I prompt them they don't clear the trail properly.

aracer
    Free Member

You forgot about watching their mates fix a puncture (or maybe fixing a puncture themselves).

bobster
    Free Member

Or on a jump in the trail…

cinnamon_girl

Must be an STW Forum Ride 🙄

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

joolsburger – in the middle of the bloody trail???

I don't get it at all.

in the middle as in "blocking the way" = because they are selfish

or "somewhere between the start and finish" = because they are not selfish

spev

It gets my goat too. I stop and wait for my mates if need be, but I always pull off the trail out of the way. Sunday, as we rode up the Whites Level climb a rider stopped in the middle of the trail on a steep section for a breather, turned to look at me then carried on panting without moving, drives me bloody mental it does.
    Ah well I still enjoyed my ride though

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It's cos many (most) people are completes ****, it occurs in all areas of life not just MTBing.

simon1975

Or at the bottom of a dropoff when I'm only running a front canti…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, nearly fell foul of this on Sunday. Half way down Coldwell Clough in the Peaks, just after a sweeping right hander where you can use the bank on the left, I set up to do the same on the sweeping left and there were two muppets there doing lord knows what with their bikes right in the middle of the desire line.

jedi

i dont worry myself about such things.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Me neither. Just ride and say 'Hi' 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

ride over them to teach them a lesson

votchy
    Free Member

Had this on saturday at Cannock, where the monkey trail splits from FTD, big group gathered there so I missed the signs (first time on phase 2) and carried on along FTD only to find the others had taken the left on to the monkey trail 🙁 Ah well, just enjoyed an extra loop of that section of FTD and a bit of fireroad to get back to the start of that bit and saw the signs second time round 😀

hora
    Free Member

+1

rOcKeTdOg

hora – Member

+1

[pedant]i think it's +2 actually[/pedant]

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

jedi:

PeterPoddy:

Me neither. Just ride and say 'Hi'

hora:
    +1

Bunch of damn hippies.

wwaswas

I tend not to worry too much and, tbh, if you can't stop in time and you're in a public area (ie. it's not just bikes) you have to expect a family of 5 strung out across the trail whenever you come round a corner anyway.

sheffield43
    Free Member

I find it more irritating at trail centres than on bridleways, etc.
    It simply doesn't occur to some people that it would be better not to block the trail, even when you reach them and clearly can't get past or are struggling to get round them. All part of lifes rich tapestry.

Pook

ooh this world place makes me so angry. grrr. grrr. grrr. 😡

BigDummy
    Free Member

I agree with wwaswas. It's a little troubling that you get groups of bikers loitering around blind bends at trail centres, but as I'm not actually at all likely to hit them the result is just them getting startled, so it doesn't greatly matter. 🙂

Still dim, and I really try not to do it myself, but hey.

hora
    Free Member

Why do people stop for a rest or wait for stragglers

Because I weigh 100kg. Great to have around for picking up, carrying things (think Mule) but not soo great on a bike.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well some poor sod almost got 16 stone of me + a 30lb bike crash into them at almost full pelt last night. It is not wise to stop on a bend at the bottom of a hill at a trail centre.

Pook

Well some poor sod almost got 16 stone of me + a 30lb bike crash into them at almost full pelt last night. It is not wise to stop on a bend at the bottom of a hill at a trail centre.

nor is it wise to go 'full pelt' round a blind bend. Could have been a fallen tree*, deer*, nasty rock*, neck height barbed wire*, flood*, wooden plank with nails through it*, someone coming the wrong way* etc etc

*herts
    *pines
    *yorkshire bridleway
    *peaks
    *dales
    *llandegla

edit: I may be playing Devil's Advocate here.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it's because some people think they are out in the wild wilderness and there's no-one around but them.

At Afan.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pook I said almost, I have good brakes and a head up attitude! Really dumb place to stop though.

Pook

at 'almost' full pelt?

Try harder you slacker.

hora
    Free Member

Pelts?

Why has the conversation switched to natty Squirrelly-type attire?

Pook

why not?
    mmm sexy

donks
    Free Member

Stopping on the side of a trail more or less out of harms way is no major issue, but i guess we are talking about the plonkers who just randomly stop anywhere regardless, like the ejot on a tight downhill section that i took out last week….on his freekin phone. Not just a downhill section that was easily visable but one after a blind summit so you can imagine my suprise. I ended up in the braken and my "new shiny bike" was entangled in his and is now subsequently not so shiny. Rant…rant…rant. oh, and apparently it was my fault!!

hora
    Free Member

This Squirrel looks sharp

Woody
    Free Member

Don't mind it if there is space to get past (which there usually is) it's the ones who turn the bike square to the trail so they don't have to look over their shoulder that get me. I don't get too het up about it though as I'm usually glad of a breather at any opportunity 😮

Same thing happens on the piste but usually it's a bit wider.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Mountain Mayhem last year has been the only time this has ever annoyed me, one very muddy section that was difficult to ride through at the best of times, then developed a lot of 'walkers' walking on the only semi rideable dry line! get out the bl*%dy way!

hora
    Free Member

I've found that stragglers become group leaders if you ride slow enough.

toys19
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Me neither. Just ride and say 'Hi'

+ N

I move off the trail when I stop but if people do not when they stop it does not worry me in the slightest. Nice way to meet people or an excuse for a breather.

hora
    Free Member

Depends on what type of bike they are on. If its a lower-spec steed I stand where I am. Glorious and proud.

ChrisL

joolsburger – Member

Pook – Member
    nor is it wise to go 'full pelt' round a blind bend

As someone who nearly got run over by fellow MTBers after crashing at a trail centre, even at trail centres you should not go so fast you can't stop in the distance you see…

takisawa2

I may have held a few up on the Monkey Trail last night, chubby bloke gasping for breath, green Inbred. 🙂 I did try to get out of your way though, figured if I was daft enough to try it on a SS I should at least give you chaps a clear run.

Hora…LMFAO…a lot of truth in that for some poseurs. 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I get annoyed with 16 stone tubbers blocking the trail…. :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

ChrisL- true. Its a trail centre. Not a creche. Other riders should be aware that there are other users on the trail and due to the nature- accidents will happen ahead of them.

To expect people to clear out of their way like a biblical wave is rank-arrogance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Why do people stop for a rest or wait for stragglers’ is closed to new replies.