Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Why can't some folk take responsibility for their own actions….
  • convert

A woman who hit her head on the bottom of a swimming pool during a late-night party in Surrey has lost her claim for £6m damages in the High Court.

Yes it’s very sad – young life ruined etc but attempting to sue the owner of the pool (who was in another country at the time) for negligence to the tune of £6m because you thought it was a good idea to dive into the shallow end of a swimming pool and they didn’t stop you doing it (from another country) is sad sad sad.

I note she is also suing the hospital for her becoming tetraplegic too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I guess she saw a life ahead of being in a wheelchair, and took a chance on getting some cash to assist in what is going to be a somewhat trickier life ahead.

Doesn’t make it right, as she took the decision to dive into a pool after being down the pub, but I can see why she would do it.

Judge called it correctly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does look cheeky from the limited information in that story.

We know nothing about the claim against the hospital

totalshell

hospital has apologised that there care was not up to scratch.. so in the end we’ll all end up stumping up for a drunk womans stupid actions

toys19
    Free Member

Yes this is a bit of a nasty thing for you to say OP.

I should imagine that the property owner feels pretty bad even though it isn’t their fault. He probs has home insurance, which is who is likely fighting this. If you read between the lines I expect the property owner encouraged her to make a claim against him in the hope his insurance would pay out and make the rest of her life easier.

The owner is the father of this girls friend, if your daughters mate got badly injured would you try and help any way you could? Or just stand on the sidelines with moral judgements such as this?

convert

Al, no you are right – the claim against the hospital bit was only mentioned on our local news with little other details (apart from the hospital admitting a paperwork irregularity but denying responsibility for her injuries). It does strike me though, as Jamie intimated above, that she is casting about for anyone who could help shoulder some of her problems. But they just that – her problems – from her actions. I worry about a society where people get in a hole and their first reaction is to look for reasons why others should share the problem.

I had this many many years ago in Snowdonia. I was up in the mountains with the local mountain rescue carrying down an American lady who had broken her leg and hurt her back. Being stretchered out is often a bumpier ride than you would like but she spent the entire 2hrs screaming at us “when I get down I’m going to sue every **** one of you for the pain you’ve put me through”. It was a cold horrible night and as a hot headed 18yr old I was up for dropping the silly bint down the nearest hole and letting her sort herself out. Fortunately the others were far more mature and just ignored her (she obviously did sue!).

convert

Yes this is a bit of a nasty thing for you to say OP.

I should imagine that the property owner feels pretty bad even though it isn’t their fault. He probs has home insurance, which is who is likely fighting this. If you read between the lines I expect the property owner encouraged her to make a claim against him in the hope his insurance would pay out and make the rest of her life easier.

The owner is the father of this girls friend, if your daughters mate got badly injured would you try and help any way you could? Or just stand on the sidelines with moral judgements such as this?

If you’d seen the news film of this case you’d know you are wrong. There is no love lost between the owner and the girl.

convert

hospital has apologised that there care was not up to scratch.. so in the end we’ll all end up stumping up for a drunk womans stupid actions

The hospital has appologised that the paperwork was not up to scratch, not the care I believe.

toys19
    Free Member

If you’d seen the news film of this case you’d know you are wrong. There is no love lost between the owner and the girl.

I saw it yesterday and that was apparent but it might not have been the case when she launched the action, after the insurance company step in and apply pressure then the family have no choice but to fight.

Anyway I accept that my assumption may well be wrong, as may any/all of yours. But in my world these accidents would not pass without help. People make mistakes, it is a sad world that does not want to help and support this girl and she probably had little choice but to launch this, or face the prospect of poverty.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Why can’t some folk take responsibility for their own actions….

It’s the spirit of the age. Unfortunately. You can see it everywhere.

Everyting is always someone elses fault, or someone elses responsibility to do sort out.

The litigation culture has exacerbated this mindset. Or created it. I can’t decide which way round it is.

When I was a kid my parents taught me not to go jumping into water without knowing if it’s deep enough. It’s not rocket surgery.

vinnyeh

With toys19, I’m afraid. I’m fairly certain that if the same had happened to me then I’d have done the same- looking for ways to make things a bit easier.

In a similar vein, what was the outcome of Fox v Pinder?

McHamish
    Free Member

I went to a party at someones house once after being invited from the pub.

Someone drank a jeraboam of champagne that the girls father won playing golf, and someone also ‘set free’ the enormous stuffed salmon that was mounted on the wall over the fireplace. I believe it ended up in the pool.

Neither of these actions were mine though…I just drank free beer.

convert

toys, She will get support – state support- and I’m glad I live in a country where this will happen. The amount – well that is dependant on what we all consider we want to pay in taxes. I’m sure if a party came along and said it would like to double taxes so that every drunk person who injures themselves got £6m from the state they would be really popular 😕 Her standard of living won’t be great, but I have to say in her situation I hope I would take stock of what happened and where the blame really lay and accept it. If I fall off riding later and brake my back I’m not going to be looking to the land owner of wherever I am at the time for compensation.

toys19
    Free Member

convert, do you find your taxes crippling?

convert

Toys – Not at all – I’d vote for a party that increased taxes for a better welfare state tomorrow. My wife works for a charity that helps adults with learning difficulties and I see first hand what financial state some of these adults are in. My point is – that party would NEVER get into power – the populous at large would just not wear it.

I’m comfortably (relatively) off though – maybe I’d think differently about taxation if I was on the breadline myself.

toys19
    Free Member

Toys – Not at all – I’d vote for a party that increased taxes for a better welfare state tomorrow. My wife works for a charity that helps adults with learning difficulties and I see first hand what financial state some of these adults are in.

So exactly what? This is akin to saying “some of my best friends are gay, black, disabled”. It doesn’t make your argument valid.

My point is – that party would NEVER get into power – the populous at large would just not wear it.

I’m comfortably (relatively) off though – maybe I’d think differently about taxation if I was on the breadline myself.

I don’t actually think that is your point, your point is that this girl is some kind of misanthropic scrounger.

convert

Yes, I do think she is a scrounger. She comes from money, wants a life she has become accoustomed to (granted now with serious physical limitations) and is willing to cast about and find someone to pay for it. Why can’t she accept the she is due that same state aid as everyone else in her situation – no more, no less?

toys19
    Free Member

She comes from money

you know this to be a fact do you?

convert

yes

toys19
    Free Member

how exactly? It irrelevant anyway.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

She does what for money?

convert

I work in a very select school. I was made aware of the story a few months ago by one of the kids I teach, one of whom’s older sister “moves” in the same circles. The stable job mentioned in the article was/is not quite what it seems.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Her standard of living won’t be great,

and why not a friend of mine in in a wheel chair, shes still well fit, still always has a girlfriend..has a better job than me, has a bigger flat than me…has more fun than me etc

toys19
    Free Member

I work in a very select school. I was made aware of the story a few months ago by one of the kids I teach, one of whom’s older sister “moves” in the same circles. The stable job mentioned in the article was/is not quite what it seems.

You are a teacher? Blimey.

Anyway this is just gossip. Its not even a secondary source.

I find your comments distasteful and think you could be more considerate regardless of the girls background, behaviour or current circumstance. If she was Gee Atherton and broke her neck entertaining you or doing what she was good at, or Stephen Murray who is actually paralysed I’ll bet your tune would be different.

convert

So exactly what? This is akin to saying “some of my best friends are gay, black, disabled”. It doesn’t make your argument valid.

That’s a rather condescending edit – you asked me if I found my taxes crippling; I responded no I’d like to see them go up and explained why and how I had come to that conclusion.

toys19
    Free Member

That’s a rather condescending edit – you asked me if I found my taxes crippling; I responded no I’d like to see them go up and explained why and how I had come to that conclusion.

I am condescending, in fact it was my intention, your comments and responses so far haven’t inspired any respect, and should be treated with disdain.

convert

lovemygears – very true. I guess I was thinking worst case. There is often a presumption (and I guess I fell into it myself) that a disability automatically leads to poverty which is simply not true. It’s fair to say her opporunties have been limited and her expenditures have increased significantly though.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

lovemygears – very true. I guess I was thinking worst case. There is often a presumption (and I guessI fell into it myself) that a disability automatically leads to poverty which is simply not true. It’s fair to say her opporunties have been limited and her expenditures have increase significantly though.

well she looks very mobile to me, if you work in office based job it wont very much effect you at all as you spend all day sitting down any way. she hasnt got brain damage, she has no excuse not to lead a pritty normal life.

convert

If she was Gee Atherton and broke her neck entertaining you or doing what she was good at, or Stephen Murray who is actually paralysed I’ll bet your tune would be different.

Go on, as you think you know me so well, tell me why?

I have every sympaphy for her plight – everyone of us must go “there but for the grace go I” – we have all done stupid things. My beef is with her actions after the accident and attidue towards other people (always assuming that she wasn’t in colusion with the owner, which she could be I guess).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I think she deserves 6 million slaps. Remember kids – dont drink and dive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Al, no you are right – the claim against the hospital bit was only mentioned on our local news with little other details (apart from the hospital admitting a paperwork irregularity but denying responsibility for her injuries). It does strike me though, as Jamie intimated above, that she is casting about for anyone who could help shoulder some of her problems. But they just that – her problems – from her actions.

You may know more than the rest of us about this, but I suspect it’s baised.

joao3v16 – Member

Why can’t some folk take responsibility for their own actions….

It’s the spirit of the age. Unfortunately. You can see it everywhere.

Everyting is always someone elses fault, or someone elses responsibility to do sort out.

The litigation culture has exacerbated this mindset. Or created it. I can’t decide which way round it is.

Been reading the tabloids? 🙄

As uual this is an extreme case reported with limited information, so it looks bad.

If she has a valid or arguable claim against a third party then should she not be allowed to pursue it? If the law is wrong then that ought to be changed – but that’s a separate issue.

What I would say to you both is if you were in this situation (and I understand the state help for those with these sorts of disabilities is not going ot be fantastic) would you hold the same view?

Easy to be sanctimonious behind a keyboard, but we’ve all taken risks and done stupid things, could happen to any of us.

PS love the earlier use of “crippling” 😛

toys19
    Free Member

Go on, as you think you know me so well, tell me why?

Because I’ve read your posts over the last two years and you sound like an AI experiment with your artificial neurons modelled on the Daily Mail.

Cynic-Al
    PS love the earlier use of “crippling”

Happy to oblige..

zokes
    Free Member

convert, do you find your taxes crippling

Nope, but she found the bottom of the pool to be…..

toys19
    Free Member

yeah zokes I think you missed the point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Toys10 lighten up a bit.

Zokes I thought that was a cracking joke 🙂

Yep its not nice when anyone gets injured, but she should just accept it was her fault and get on with life and not expect others to take blame for her stupidty.

toys19
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Toys109 lighten up a bit.

You owe me 9 🙂

This is my lighten up, I am being optimistic..

hora
    Free Member

Tough titty. What next? Sue a council for a positioning of a tree if you lose control of your car at speed and slam into said tree?

convert

Because I’ve read your posts over the last two years and you sound like an AI experiment with your artificial neurons modelled on the Daily Mail.

You’ve actaully read what I’ve typed over the last two years (my sympathies!) and think I’m modelled on the Daily Mail – how very dare you! Guardian reading southern softy all the way here. You need a trip to the political compass.

I’m presuming that was an Ai experiment, not an aL experiment. The thought of being a mutant Cyinic-al creation is slightly unnerving!

toys19
    Free Member

Ohh God. Hora the moral arbiter is chipping in now, you lot are a lost cause.

All I need is TJ and PP to come on and tell me how wrong I am and this will be complete.

OK I concede you are correct, she made her bed she can lie in it, no sympathy for those who ruin their lives by misadventure. No let them suffer, the state will give them the what every one else on the state gets (which this girl doesn’t deserve as she is loaded already) and she can be a lesson to the rest of us. Yep life is tough round here in Daily Mail world.

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes I thought that was a cracking joke

I thank you, I’m here all week!

(Well, actually I’m not, as it’s already the weekend here….)

When Toys118118gotyournumber picks up his dummy, I might pop by again for some more adult humour….

EDIT:

she made her bed she can lie in it

I’m sure she can do that…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Why can't some folk take responsibility for their own actions….’ is closed to new replies.