Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Why can't I stop looking at this (nostalgic car content)
  • hora
    Free Member

Alittle bit younger and still in the same mould(ish)…

Corrado.

renton
    Free Member

i had a 1989 mk2 gti 16v .

bought it with 135000 on the clock and ragged it to within an inch of its life until 197000 when i p/x it for a laguna!!!!

i put big bumpers on it and bbs wheels and it looked the bollox!!

wish id kept it now and restored it .

beautiful to drive and handled better than anything ive had since!!

hora
    Free Member

renton, anything is surely better to drive/handle than a Laguna 😉

jwt
    Free Member

BMW E30 325i sport or if you can find one Alpins C2 2.7?

domwells27
    Free Member

Coincidentally just bought a corrado on saturday. My first ever VW but so far am loving it.

Still a large enthusiast scene like the golfs and parts are available.

Could get a mint vr6 storm for the money you'd spend on that mk2

brassneck

£6K seems a lot of cash for that, but I don't know the market for old Golfs.
    Could probably get an S1 Elise for that now, though I'd budget for a cambelt change and suspension refresh .. so you might as well have spent £8K on a good un.

Jerome
    Free Member

I was given for free on here a 1981 audi 80 GT
    same design, with the torque 8v engine
    Great great car, if a little scary with the brakes
    had to give away myself though in the end
    Went off to get restored I think..
    J.

dooosuk
    Free Member

At £6k that Golf is way over priced. It isn't worth that much money purely because it's not got the original engine in it. No enthusiast/collector would shell out that cash for a non original car, no matter what restoration it's had.

6mths ago I sold my standard 90spec 16v MkII GTI after 9years ownership and bought an E46 330Ci instead. I still miss the Golf.

For £6k though you should be looking at Rallye's and Edition One's. For £4k you should get a reasonable mileage 90spec.

MkII GTI's are great, saying they're just a shopping car is underselling them slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFCcUSbdtzI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpsKV-8C_k&feature=related

And VBH owns one in her private collection so they can't be all that rubbish.

hora
    Free Member

Is it the G60 or the VR6 that you have to avoid? One requires a rebuild of the turbo?

dooosuk
    Free Member

You're showing your car knowledge today Hora…

First thinking the SA Citi Golf was a MkII and…

Secondly neither the G60 or VR6 had a turbo charger.

The G60 has a G-Ladder Supercharger which can be a bit fragile if not serviced regularly/correctly. However there are plenty of companies around that know what they're doing with them now.

VR6 was neither turbo charged or supercharged.

I wouldn't say you have to avoid either…just budget for a supercharger service if there isn't one in the recent history.

hora
    Free Member

So its the G60 to avoid.

slimtubing
    Free Member

would give my left tit for one of these, rare as hen's teeth nowadays but oh so cool IMHO

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

IMO mk2 golfs are way overrated.

I know everyone raves about them but I had a standard 16V some years ago and was distinctly underwhelmed particularly in the handling department. Driven loads better hot hatches from the same period.

Scene tax on them is stupid too.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ah Hora the WRX is a good car but the engine won't be rebuilt, you'll need a petrol tanker following you and everybody knows the WRX is fast. Cost a lot to fix as well. Part of the pleasure of driving an older modified car is the look on the face of the guy you have just embarrased by your old pile of sh!t. I used to have an old Lotus Sunbeam with a Skip Brown Conversion 250+ BHP Approx. Nothing has come close to the enjoyment of blowing away Cossies, GTI's etc etc. Bit of a handful it was, fun always, scary as hell in the wet! Depends on what you want it for. Most fun I've had in a car was in my mates Mini Minus kit car, not that fast but great fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuKI0B8qvc

It's only a 1380 but its still nippy.

BadlyWiredDog

Alittle bit younger and still in the same mould(ish)…

Corrado.

Is it bollocks. I've got one of each – a Mk2 8-valve and a VR6 Storm – and they're utterly different animals. To those people knocking Mk2s, there's a world of difference between a well-sorted one and a tired old hack. The most recent Mk2s are, what, around 20 years old now and stuff gets tired – suspension, bushes, the gear linkage etc, etc, etc… Rear beam bushes die and give the rear end a horrid looseness etc. When they're sorted, they're ace in a basic, together, balanced sort of way.

Have a look on YouTube for the clips of Tiff Needell ragging a Mk2 16v around a circuit in standard but sorted, then thoughtfully modified form. He seems to think the Mk2 GTi is quite special. But then what he does know, not being a STW car expert and all 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I stop looking at this (nostalgic car content)’ is closed to new replies.