Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Why can't I manual?
  • jools182
    Free Member

am I just rubbish?

was trying it for about 30 minutes before and just can’t get the front end in the air

had all my weight as far over the back wheel as possible, heels down, arms straight

maybe I just haven’t got the weight, I’m 11.5 stone and I’m trying to do it on a patriot

soobalias
    Free Member

unweight the front, then balance.

jedi

stand standing pedals level centered above the bb loose. the crouch slightly and push away with your feet/heals and wrists, this shifts your weight evenly behind the bb. keep your head up!
    thats an unweight. find the balance point and unweight it high and its a manual.

davy-g
    Free Member
    carbon337
    Free Member

Are you using flats or spd’s? Flats increase your confidence that your not going to end up on your arse.

Rickos
    Free Member

I find high forward single pivot bikes more difficult to manual for some reason, so choice of a Patriot wouldn’t be helping me.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Ask my 8 year old…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Showoff! Your son is too good to be shown here. What do you think it is? A cycling forum? Some people…. 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You need to read the instruction book – Go and get a manual manual……

😉

Cougar

Si, Meester Fawlty.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

davy-g – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhGy5OHa5bk

Thanks davy-g that first video is excellent.

I still can’t wheelie but now I know exactly WHY I can’t 😕

Cougar

After reading another thread on here, I managed to manual after many years of being crap. Thing is, I can only manage a few inches(*). I see these people with their front wheel a foot in the air so effortlessly and it makes me want to pack it all in and take up golf. Dunno whether it’s technique or just not giving it enough umphf or what. Maybe it’s just the curse of us 11-stone weaklings.

(* fnarr fnarr, quack)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This isnt really advice in a direct sense, but Orange Patriots are absolutely shite for manuals. A hardtail or bmx is what you want (although buying a bike jsut to learn manuals seems a bit daft)

Most proper race dh bikes I’ve tried manuals on have been easier than an Orange Patriot

Bagstard
    Free Member

Personally I couldn’t manual to save my life, but friend is very good and he rides a patriot 66.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

lol @ hairychested. Yeah, he makes me proud. The little bugger is getting better than me now though – I must try harder…..

Just keep practising. You need to find your balance point – and remember to cover the back brake or you’ll end up on your bum.

chiefgrooveguru

Can you hold a pedal wheelie?

bigyinn
    Free Member

What tyre to pull a manual with?

jedi

unweighting the front wheel comfortably to different heights has more value than trying to find the balance point in a manual straight away

SamB
    Free Member

@bigyinn: 2.5″ High Roller @ 25psi. Nice big contact area so easier to keep your balance than a skinny tyre at high pressure 😛

ahwiles
    Free Member

do what jedi says, if that doesn’t work, try it again.

if you’re really getting nowhere – get a smaller bike*.

my mountain bikes are really hard work to manual, my bmx is a piece of pi55 – all i have to do is lean back a bit and the front wheel lifts up.

seriously, buy yourself a bmx. you’ll be amazed how much you learn so quickly without really trying.

(*do you ride a cross-country-gate?)

highclimber
    Free Member

the more air in your tyre, the lighter it will be thus making it easier to get the front up! 😛

wwaswas

surely the more air in the tyre the heavier it would be?

I can’t manual ‘cos I’m rubbish 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

helium ballooooons tied to the front wheeel

sorted

U31
    Free Member

I can’t manual ‘cos I’m rubbish

Me too…

And it ain’t because of my Patriot, Ed O’s son had a go on my bike at Lee Quarry pump track and instantly put me to shame…
    That lil’ bugger is awesome on a bike now, so god help us all when he’s older!

GEDA
    Free Member

How do you do the balance point thing? Can get it up no problem. I want to do the cool coaster manual thing and I am rubbish at keeping it up. Feathering the brake slams me straight down.

ahwiles
    Free Member

falling backwards? – squat down.

falling forwards? – stand up and back.

GEDA
    Free Member

Any tips for getting the rhythm though and should your legs be a bit bent or straight when manualled?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Legs, arms and back fully locked straight. Head pointing upwards, eyes staring at the sun is the best way.

GEDA
    Free Member

Oh and I usually feel like I am going back, feather the brake and slam down. I never feel like I get a sweet spot where I will stay balanced. I find it easy to get the front up, coast for 2-5 meters then feel like I am going over the back, brakes on and its all over too soon.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like this.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you won’t find a sweet spot – there isn’t a point of perfect balance – you’ll always be adjusting: back a bit – forward a bit – back a bit – forward a bit – repeat.

just like riding a bike…

sort of.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I manual?’ is closed to new replies.