Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Early morning drifters
  • Luminous
    Free Member

I've noticed during the last year or so, that very early in the mornings, there seem to be small groups of < 18yr olds, just wandering around the deserted urban streets. They do not appear to be "gangs" (those groups are larger, bristling with baggy trousers and base-ball caps), and its too late in the morning for them to be making their way home from the clubs, I would have supposed.

I'm in my car, setting off at between 4:30am and 5:00am, I live in a City and so have to drive along its streets, to access the motorway network.

Its during the first part of my drive, along the quiet city streets, that I now see these teenagers. Yes, you get the odd jogger, and the milkman, but why all the kids ?.

Whats that all about then ?.

yunki
    Free Member

between 4:30am and 5:00am sounds like club kicking out time to me..

aP
    Free Member

Eastern Europeans heading out to the casual work ganglord pick up point?

Luminous
    Free Member

Yunki.

They'll be wearing polo shirts, shorts and trainers, and they just don't look like they've been on it all night.

It would look right at 4:30pm.

aP.
    Nah, I see those too, sometimes, but the people I'm referring to, just look out of place. Casually dressed teenagers, in 3s and 4s just drifting along an empty street at a time in the AM when most of us would be catching the Zs.

I'm totally mystified as for why they are there, at these times in the AM.

What are they telling their parents when they drift in on a Tuesday AM at 5:30, just as Dad is rising to go to work ?.

psychle
    Free Member

Vampires and their minions… they're returning to their lair before dawn…

freeridenick
    Free Member

I doubt dad has a job – thats the problem!

rOcKeTdOg

rent boys finishing their shift?

snowslave

They're robbers. Or at least thats the time a lot of criming goes on round here. Do citizens arrests on them all

trail_rat
    Free Member

stoners looking for their car ?

Luminous
    Free Member

Like I say, I've had time to consider this, but I just can't seem to come-up with a reason.

If they're up at that time, looking as if they've been out for a while, what are they doing for kip ?, sleeping during the day ?.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, vampires, why didn't I think of that. They're very tidy ones, no blood drenched clothing or anything.

psychle
    Free Member

If they're up at that time, looking as if they've been out for a while, what are they doing for kip ?, sleeping during the day ?.

I repeat: Vampires and their minions… they're returning to their lair before dawn…

Luminous
    Free Member

So, thats it. There is now a teenage cult, thinking they're vampires ?, or they will be once they get bitten ?.

warton
    Free Member

they're kids, probably not in school, doing what some kids do. getting drunk, taking drugs etc. they're either sneaking in and out of the house (like i used to do) or their parents don't really care what they're getting up too.

yunki
    Free Member

its too late in the morning for them to be making their way home from the clubs, I would have supposed.

They'll be wearing polo shirts, shorts and trainers

what are they doing for kip ?, sleeping during the day ?.

STW forum user in 'not down with da youf' shocker!!

Luminous
    Free Member

I don't want to be Darn-wit-da-yoof. From what I see of todays yoof-culture, they can have it. I reckon the 80s youth scene in the UK was much better. At least our belts worked properly, and we didn't all aspire to be a 'G'. We rode BMXs and loved it.

At that time in the morning, I wish I could still be in bed. If I had the choice, I'd not be wandering the empty streets of a city.

💡 They're straglers from a house party. Thats got to be it.

warton
    Free Member

t that time in the morning, I wish I could still be in bed. If I had the choice, I'd not be wandering the empty streets of a city.

Yes but you're not under 18 are you. does it really matter what they're doing? just don't talk to them, they will definitely stab you…

chutney13
    Free Member

maybe a nice brisk walk before an early breakfast, then on to church?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Local athletics/ swimming club?

Stoners who've forgotten where they've parked their houses?

steve-g
    Free Member

paper round?

Luminous
    Free Member

does it really matter what they're doing? just don't talk to them, they will definitely stab you…

I like the last bit. 😀

I do not need to know what they are doing, I'm just at a loss as to why anyone would choose to be up and about at that time, without any apparent/obvious need to be.

Must be the last ones to leave the party, after they helped the host clear-up….

Luminous
    Free Member

Nope, not a papers bag in sight.

Just summery afternoon wear, shorts, polo shirts, trainers.
    Not a base-ball cap wearing, or baggy, below butt cheek, jeans totting mutha amongst them.

Got to be house party aftermath.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What self respecting teenager would wear shorts to an all night house party? They're out stealing milk money.

toby1

Take one high def telly, add console of choice Xbox360 and/or PS3- mix in a liberal amount of School holidays and parents away from at least one teenagers house and you have a night of gaming into the early hours fuelled on Coke(cola) and pizza I suspect. They really are the scum of the earth 😛

Luminous
    Free Member

They really are the scum of the earth

Not what I'm getting at, I've just seen this sort of thing and have always wondered why they were there.

Literally this morning, on this thread I've supposed that house party would/could be the reason.

Take one high def telly, add console of choice Xbox360 and/or PS3- mix in a liberal amount of School holidays and parents away from at least one teenagers house and you have a night of gaming into the early hours fuelled on Coke(cola) and pizza I suspect.

An excellent description of the scenario.

Right then, that answers that and so another of the World's great mysteries is answered by the STW Forum.

Higgs Boson anyone ?…..

Ta.
    😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

I pity your childhoods if you weren't still out with the select few hardcore mates who would last until the wee hours before sacking it off and going to bed.

Seriously you guys never mucked about until 3-4-5am?

They are just out having fun still, not much harm in that is there?

psychle
    Free Member

We used to go out 'urban assualt' riding at silly o'clock times (3-4am type thing), fueled on red bull and pizza, streets were empty and we could run amok! miss that sort of stuff, should find some London mates and get back into it 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

At uni we regulalry walked home in daylight, slept in a hedge (of one form or another :p) and still made it to lectures 🙂

4:30 is last club kicking out time + no money for taxi + 1-2hour walk.

Not uni at this time of year, but if you're a student, no job and a house thats empty its only natural to sleep at odd times!

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I could regularly be found walking home at all kinds of wierd hours in my late teens and twenties. Benders took place on any night and could be followed by a dirty stop out, or you could be at a mates playing computer games or taking an array of chemicals

toby1

They really are the scum of the earth

Not what I'm getting at, I've just seen this sort of thing and have always wondered why they were there.

Hah, yeah sorry what I meant was they are a) young, b) free to stay up all night and have fun …. it's an envy thing 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

Hah, yeah sorry what I meant was they are a) young, b) free to stay up all night and have fun …. it's an envy thing

How is it an envy thing ?.

Can a person not just be curious ?.

If you'd taken the time to read the thread, you would have realised that I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why.

toys19
    Free Member

I read this thread with disappointment, I thought there was going to be video of jap cars going sideways at dawn…

Anyway its gotta be pills hasn't it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

For a lot of people, staying up til 4am at a mate's house isn't a party, it's a normal evening. Watching vids, playing PS3 etc etc.

I'd never do something like that *ahem*.

Luminous
    Free Member

Yeap. Thats all fine.

Sorry about the Jap cars, but that would probably have been titled:
    "Drifters of the rising Sun"

I've just wondered about these people for a while and thought I'd ask on here.
    Now that we've come to a plausible reason, its end of for me.

🙂

Cheers.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Its my lad, out on the milkround.
    He reckons its the best pocketmoney job he's had as it doesn't interfere with his normal sleep pattern. (can get up at 2pm as normal)

mark_b
    Free Member

We rode BMXs and loved it.

Strangely enough i went riding at Hyde Park ramps at 7am a few weeks ago and found a group of smartly dressed(ish) yoofs who had been up all night riding their BMX's.

wwaswas

Early morning drifters

I was expecting soemthing about noxious gases emerging from under the duvet…

Spongebob
    Free Member

If you want to know, ask them!

adam5555

Why cant they just be going to work like you? I was out the door at 5 when I was 17 and probably wearing clothes that 30-40 some things disapproved of as well. If they work in construction or have some other type of apprenticeship type job its a fairly normal time to be up

MrsTricky
    Free Member

They've been to a sleepover, chatted till 3am, tried to sleep but couldn't, now en route back to comfy bed and 6 hours sleep!

MrsT (mother of teen)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Early morning drifters’ is closed to new replies.