Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • why are spd's often called clipless, when they are one big clip ?
  • iainc

just that really. see it in mags, on forums. with SPD’s you clip in, so how can they be ‘clipless’ ?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Its a hangover from the days when you rode with actual clips and straps. So the new system is clipless.

iainc

ahhhh, I see 😳

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Clipless Pedals
    Up until the late ’80s, the choice was between plain pedals or pedals with toe clips and straps. Since “clipless” pedals provided a way to have a secure attachment to the pedal without the use of toe clips, the name stuck, even though it is sometimes confusing to newcomers.

“Clipless” or “Step-in” pedals use a mechanism similar to a ski binding. In fact, the first successful system was made by a ski binding manufacturer, Look. Clipless pedals use a cleat which is bolted to the bottom of the shoe. When the rider steps on the pedal with the cleat, the cleat locks into the pedal mechanism, and is held firmly in place. Some systems hold the foot at a fixed angle, others allow various amounts of “float”, or angular rotation of the foot on the pedal.

With most clipless pedal systems, the foot is disengaged by twisting the heel outward. Some of the earlier systems, such as the pioneering Cinelli model, required the rider to reach down and operate a release mechanism by hand. This style is sometimes jocularly referred to as “death cleats.”

Sheldon Browns info 🙂

iainc

interesting piece – I shoulda googled !

sambob
    Free Member

Death cleats 😯

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown is (was) a bit of a legend. His website is a bit of a one stop shop for bike information.

thomthumb
    Free Member

too add to that you could still have cleats with clips and straps.

so now we have cleats but no (toe)clips and straps. hence clipless.

slotted cleats

honourablegeorge

There’s a new niche – MTBing on death cleats.

convert

that pic takes me back

boxelder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘why are spd's often called clipless, when they are one big clip ?’ is closed to new replies.