Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Why are forks so expensive now??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just browsing the internet at work pondering a fork upgrade but noticed that forks seem to have gone really expensive…

reba 29er @120 on crc at £511 !!!

I remember when that would get you a set of top of the range pikes etc.

spawnofyorkshire

Brexit

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Trump

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

We’re in for a Brumpy ride….

munrobiker
    Free Member

There is no justifiable reason for it. You can buy a spring in two tubes for a push cycle for over £1000 now. There is no reason for that.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Blame that ill-thought out vote last summer with mountains of misinformation on both sides!

Your best bet might be to look at a complete bike, then decide whether to keep new bike and sell the old, or just grab bits you want and sell rest of new bike.

For example, Boardman 29er for £650 with Recon Silver, or Bizango Raidon for £625 (before 10% British Cycling, or 15% Toyota Club discount).

oldfart

I’m in a similar quandary , not upgrading just needing to replace Rebas on my 29er . I’ve ordered a pair of X Fusion Slides , people on here seem to like them and the straight steerer version is £320 , tapered £340 . I’m sticking with straight steerer as it’s what I’ve got now .

kimbers

Something to do with liberation from the evil EU overlords I think?

It’s time to buy British, does this mean we all have to ride shitty pace forks ?

br
    Free Member

Before I tell you, can you let us know whether you voted Leave or Remain; then we’ll know whether to laugh or not 😉

Northwind

Because you’ve picked the most expensive option. CRC have a Reba 29 RL for £274.99.

ads678

I paid about £250 (after BC discount) for a set of X Fusion Traces a few weeks ago.

I originally wanted Rebas but they were out of my price range. The X Fusions seems great though.

mark90
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s all Brexit and nothing to do with bike bits companies charging the maximum that they think IT middle managers will pay.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

middle managers in IT earn shitloads

edit mark has it

spawnofyorkshire

It’s time to buy British Swiss, does this mean we all have to ride shitty perfectly fine pace DT Swiss forks ?

FTFY

oldfart

£274.99 is QR not 15mm

Tracey

I’ve still got some 4 ride old Rebas for sale 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

As Mark90 said 🙂

the-muffin-man

Fork prices went crazy a long time before Brexit.

wl
    Free Member

Because business is business and people still pay.

wwaswas

I’m sure it’s all Brexit and nothing to do with bike bits companies charging the maximum that they think IT middle managers will pay.

It’s bound to be the latter, they weren’t legally allowed to charge what they thought they could get away with before June last year’s vote.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Fork prices went crazy a long time before Brexit.

That, once looked at the cost to replace the 100mm Factory 32’s on my 29er and let out a slight squeal when i saw the £750 price tag 😯

What is it exactly that makes them so expensive from an engineering perspective?

qwerty
    Free Member

[rose tinted] I paid £300 for my Mag21s plus extra for a 1.25″ ahead steerer.[/all this was fields]

Kryton57

Paid £230 for a set of 29er 120mm 15mm Reba’s in a CRC sale 6 months ago.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Why are forks so expensive

Because we keep paying.

Some prices are a joke. £500 for a BMX frame???

PJM1974
    Free Member

Plunging pound innit. If you’re an importer then you’ll be stiffed for the fall in the pound and will need to raise prices to compensate.

Also, it’s the start of a new model year. Everything is expensive once the old stock has been cleared…

Finally, this sport is seen as “aspirational” by lots of middle manager marketing people working at the major manufacturers (hello SRAM and Fox!). Aspirational pricing is seen as a fillip rather than a hindrance.

I plan on keeping my existing stuff for longer until such time as the pound recovers. Of course, having a colossal maniac in the White House means that the value of the dollar is about as predictable as a sugared up toddler’s temper over the next three and a bit years.

Likewise, if we do completely balls up Brexit then the prospect of tariffs may mean stuff becomes more expensive again.

windyg
    Free Member

Worth keeping a watch on Ebay, i was lucky last year to get a set of SID RLT 15mm 27.5 off a brand new bike for £280 the owner was upgrading straight away I did the same with XT brakes just had to be a bit patient.

bigjim

I’d really like to know the price of forks through the product lifecycle; the factory door price per unit, the manufacturer price to distributor, distributor to retail, etc. The fact that many retailers sell them at massive discount suggests there is a lot of breathing room between each stage, production costs must be tiny, it’s just some metal tubes, o rings, shims and a few ml oil, and development costs can’t be that high, it’s not exactly F1 technology and nothing has changed that much over the last decade or so.

We do get humped by $ exchange rate and tax in the UK too I guess.

poah
    Free Member

prices where high before the EU vote

Poopscoop

Not bought a new fork in a long, long time now. 🙁

PJM1974
    Free Member

prices where high before the EU vote

Yep. But compare the value of the pound in May 2016 with now and try to work out the additional cost of importing say 5,000 sets of forks.

You’re also going to have to hedge against the possibility of an economic downturn meaning that you have fewer customers for your premium priced forks. If the potential market for 5,000 forks is reduced by 10%, then you’re going to have to shift more unsold stock at the end of the year, possibly at or below break even.

renton
    Free Member

where would I be best off looking for a nice 120-130 mm travel 29er fork with 15mm axle.

Also what models would you suggest

mogrim

I bought some Fox Vanilla 130 about 10 years ago cost 630€ new. They’ve always been expensive.

dragon
    Free Member

I suspect imported volume (lack of) must also matter, as outside of STW who really replaces their forks?

Fox prices were stupid before Brexit, the fall in the pound just makes them even more stupidly expensive. About time that someone in the UK to set up a rival fork company.

chiefgrooveguru

Since 2007 we’ve gone from 2 dollars to the pound to 1.2 dollars to the pound. Since almost everything in the bike industry is made in Taiwan or China, both selling in USD, that pushes UK prices up a lot.

Euro
    Free Member

Going to give the forks time to bed in but so far they seem spot on.

You wrote this a week ago. Suppose for you a week is a long time to keep something 😆

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen: I did say Im just browsing at work !!

oldfart

Renton , take a look at X Fusion Slides that’s what I’m going for

gonzy
    Free Member

its all you high earning middle aged rich kids…the industry knows you’ve got disposable incomes and they take advantage of that by telling you that you need to have all the latest kit at their extortionate prices and you fall for it….that and the brexit/trump effect 😉

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Renton I am waiting to get a warranty replacement Reba fork which I don’t need . It will be arriving sometime in April , brand new , uncut steerer , 120 travel , boost , suitable for 29 or 650+ . If you are interested we might be able to work something out .

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d be buying a set of 29 Pikes instead, they’re probably less than 200g heavier (my 29’s a 1800g). You can change the airshaft to move the travel between 120mm and 160mm so will go on pretty much any 29er (useful for those folk who regularly change frames/bikes).

Certainly stiffer than Reba’s and probably better for a larger ‘lad’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Why are forks so expensive now??’ is closed to new replies.