Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Why are forks so expensive now??
  • dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said before they have been over the top for years paid £320 with a good discount from LBS 5 years ago for some Rockshox recons 120mm.

Sundayjumper

I clearly remember the early Manitous being £350 in 1992. That’s about £700 of modern money based on RPI.

For about 50mm of elastomer travel.

mindmap3
    Free Member

As has been said, fork prices have been nuts for a while now. A long time ago there was a threshold of £500 for top end forks until Fox bought out the first 36’s which were way over this and once people started buying them costs seemed to rise.

dumbbot
    Free Member

@Renton

Cotic have some 29er X Fusion Trace RL 120mm Ex Demo for £249, non Boost.(demo Fleet has gone boost)

http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/warehouse-specials

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£500++ for forks is bonkers. Sitting here in the shop we have 2 Gazelle bikes. For those not familiar with them they’re a BIG Dutch brand, made in the Netherlands and are easily the best quality, best equipped, and best designed bikes I’ve ever clapped eyes on. £5-600 gets hub gears, Dynamo lighting, integral lock, rack and mudguards. Every little detail is thought out and works perfectly. They’re not just a frame with parts specced by accountants. The Dutch buy hundreds of thousands of them and I can see why. Selling a fork for more than one of these bikes is clearly ridiculous.
    But ‘cyclists’ are led my marketing and fashion
    ‘People that ride bikes’ aren’t. They just want something that works.

My next bike will be a Gazelle. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

But ‘cyclists’ are led my marketing and fashion

Don’t talk rubbish. I have three regular bikes that are ten years old, and one that is a two year old frame with ten year old bits on it.

Must not be a cyclist then eh?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I think RS may have tidied up their distribution a bit. OE forks clearly intended for production lines used to be available at huge discounts from the likes of On-one etc… Not anymore though as it seems to be retail only stuff now. If that is the case then that will also help prop up price levels.

5plusn8
    Free Member

At the risk of making myself an outcast, could it be because they are high tech, better, got lots of machined components, lowish volumes and high development costs?

nickfrog
    Free Member

We’re talking about recent price rises for similar products.

benpinnick

If you think it’s bad now how does another 20% or so within three months grab you?

molgrips
    Free Member

To be political for a moment, I wonder if something like a Hope fork could end up being competitve post Brexit?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m waiting to see how that Dutch wunderbike of poddys does on the lakes, peaks and tweed valley….

ampthill

[rose tinted] I paid £300 for my Mag21s plus extra for a 1.25″ ahead steerer.[/all this was fields]

But that is expensive. I think relative to earnings that is over £500 for a very basic fork

I think RS may have tidied up their distribution a bit. OE forks clearly intended for production lines used to be available at huge discounts from the likes of On-one etc… Not anymore though as it seems to be retail only stuff now. If that is the case then that will also help prop up price levels.

Possibly the best reason yet

At the risk of making myself an outcast, could it be because they are high tech, better, got lots of machined components, lowish volumes and high development costs?

But people are comparing forks that were developed years ago

My addition will be a different version PJMs theory. People are bringing in less forks as they are expecting a down turn. But we are still spending so the forks are selling relatively well so there is no intensive to off load stock at a discount

Northwind

molgrips – Member

To be political for a moment, I wonder if something like a Hope fork could end up being competitve post Brexit?

Well if the cranks are anything to go by it’ll cost £1000, perform identically to a basic rockshox, and not arrive til 2029. But it’ll still sell like hotcakes so that makes it competitive, right? 😉

lustyd
    Free Member

In 1995 Rockshox top of the line was Judy SL. At the time they cost £500 (I still have them…). Taking a average of 3% inflation for 20 years that makes over £900 today. Then, as now, people never paid retail price if they were smart. The margin in a bike shop is big so always buy last years model in the sale or get to know your LBS well.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Thats cheap baxk in 1941 i paid 600 quid for a specialized fsx fork ….it was absolute shite compared to todays most basic RS forks

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There seems to be loads of mediocre to shite stuff around for top money at the moment and all the VFM stuff you actually want is out of stock nearly everywhere 😐

chestrockwell

As mentioned above, prices have been creeping up since the original £300 Pace RC35/Rockshox Mag 20/Manitou 1 battle.

The blip came when Rockshox got their game face on, produced the modern Pike and other class leading or competitive fork then allowed the market to be flooded with discounted stock. The rrp was still huge and inline with most others.

The other slight kink came just before when Fox had the market sown up and started putting their prices up an eye watering amount. The Rockshox move took their knees of though.

mcnultycop

The price of forks is high, but the amount people pay on modifications to make those same forks work properly always surprises me.

dyls

I think the cost of bikes in general are getting ridiculous for what you get. However if we keep buying theyll keep charging.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if it wasn’t for Brexit, prices would have been getting a little better – in that you can, halfway through the season get Mattocs for less than 450 quid – those are forks that consistently rate right up there with Lyriks and Fox 36’s.

You get rapidly diminishing returns these days on forks when you spend over 500 quid.

The only time it’s worth forking out a bit, is if you have specific requirements for a custom tune.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Take a look through the usual continental suspects….we’re not blacklisted yet…

Bike-discount

wiggles
    Free Member

I own (at RRP) about £2500 in just suspension 😯

2 forks and 1 shock…

sirromj

I’m waiting to see how that Dutch wunderbike of poddys does on the lakes, peaks and tweed valley….

While wearing a blond wig, long flowing skirt, and reading a smushy novel.

And why are tyres so expensive? Over £50 for one regular (26×2.2) tyre. Damn brexiters.

nickc

Chief groove had it right on the previous page, the pound has lost nearly half its value against the dollar since the crash in 2008.

wynne
    Free Member

I’m an awful bottom feeder. Happy to hoover up the slightly older model either NOS or good used. Who’d have thought it, but some of the high end used stuff looks hardly used at all…

I couldn’t bring myself to spend £600 on a fork. I have no connection with either shop but jejames and Winstanleys often have terrific deals on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well if the cranks are anything to go by it’ll cost £1000,

Yes but the rest of Europe will get it for 49.99 €. If they’re allowed to, that is.

psycorp
    Free Member

I couldn’t bring myself to spend £600 on a fork. I have no connection with either shop but jejames and Winstanleys often have terrific deals on.

Agreed. JEJames in particular has become my go to shop recently. On a similar note has anyone noticed how CRC has become more expensive than Wiggle recently when it always used to be the other way around for most things. Wonder why 😉

coomber
    Free Member

You’ve had that bike a week Renton get out and use it and judge those suntours after 6 months of hard use!

renton
    Free Member

oh, sorry dad !! :mrgreen:

mickmcd
    Free Member

Mattocs for less than 450 quid – those are forks that consistently rate right up there with Lyriks and Fox 36’s.

glad im not the only one

coomber
    Free Member

Hey, it’s your money I couldn’t care less if you bought solid gold rigid forks.

Ok, lets put that another way. What is it about the suntour forks that you don’t like? What conditions are you finding them ineffective and how have you tried changing their set up to suit your riding style?

renton
    Free Member

Coomber mate I’m only pulling your leg.

As I said earlier in the thread I was only browsing.

Nowt wrong with the Raidons to be honest. Seem like a decent fork.

However I would swap them out for a revelation or pike if they come up at the right price purely because I know they work for me and I’m happy to work on them.

russyh
    Free Member

But it looks like you are selling your Suntours?

FWIW anyway i agree they are bloody expensive, It wouldn’t be so bad but in SRAM’s case they have QC issues. Creaky crowns, no oil or low oil levels. Then you look at some of their other RS equipment. Reverbs big price hike with the launch of the B1 promising to of sorted legacy issues….only for it to be worse! Monarchs failing left right and centre. I dont mind paying for the privilege of the latest kit! But I expect it to have some kind of QC process.

Northwind

IMO many of the reports of Rockshox “having no oil” are from people who don’t understand that the oil doesn’t all sit in the bottom of the fork. There should be 5ml in one leg and 15ml in the other, wit a Pike, but when you uncork the lowers you won’t get 20ml falling out because so much of it is spread around the fork lowers.

I’m not saying it never happens; my Pikes didn’t have the recommended oil level in the damper frinstance so I’m sure it does, but it’s fuelled by amateur mechanics seeing but not understanding.

coomber
    Free Member

renton – Member

Coomber mate I’m only pulling your leg.

As I said earlier in the thread I was only browsing.

Nowt wrong with the Raidons to be honest. Seem like a decent fork.

However I would swap them out for a revelation or pike if they come up at the right price purely because I know they work for me and I’m happy to work on them.

Fair enough, I would just give them a chance rather than looking for something else when you can’t have used them enough to make a call on them. Fair that the revelations and pikes work for you but you don’t know yet that the suntour’s don’t, and from your “what bike to buy thread” I thought you were stuck on a set budget?

Anyway, back on the how much forks are theme, still plenty of good deals as mentioned a few posts back… sektor gold rl 130mm £279 at Je James and I dont think they are that much worse than revs. Less cashback and first purchase offers etc.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Why are forks so expensive now??’ is closed to new replies.