Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Why are baggy cycle shorts so expensive?
  • retro83
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Question should not be why are baggies so expensive, but why do people pay silly mony for baggy shorts?! Don’t think I’ve ever paid RRP on a pair of shorts, most expensive around £50.
    But, jeez, what sort of mug would you have to be to click “BUY!” on something like this:
    https://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/sweet-protection-mudride-short-scorch-red/13686

“Oh, but they’re really nice quality an that..” Pillock!

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

They charge an extra £30 for the red version as well 8)

deadkenny
    Free Member

chakaping – Member 
    They’re only expensive if you pay the silly RRP, eh?
    Usually fork out £25-£35 for top-end shorts in the sales.

Not Endura. They’re price fixed (sorry, distributor has careful control over who sells what and prices are held high to “keep LBS competitive” 😉 ), so discounts are very small.

Bloody expensive in my opinion considering they rip every year or two. Gone through three now, and last one lasted less than twelve months!

ton

i am with km79 on this. i would not wear lycra ever, in any shape or form. it is hideous. and on any male aged over 30 it should be made a crime to wear it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not Endura. They’re price fixed

Hence I don’t have any Endura garments in my wardrobe, apart from a Stealth jacket I got at 50% discount.

Yak

I do own a pair of baggies, but they are mostly a nuisance – flapping around and catching on things. Unnecessary imo. I don’t care particularly what I look like or who I offend. Lycra is just functionally better for cycling.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I do own a pair of baggies, but they are mostly a nuisance – flapping around and catching on things. Unnecessary imo. I don’t care particularly what I look like or who I offend. Lycra is just functionally better for cycling.

No, what you have is a pair of Ill fitted shorts. None of my Madison’s ‘flap about’ and catch on things.

Northwind

Yak – Member

I do own a pair of baggies, but they are mostly a nuisance – flapping around and catching on things.

Do you imagine that everyone else is just putting up with flapping around and catching on things? For whatever reason you’re having a problem that most users don’t have- fitting maybe? Or a poor choice of shorts?

zippykona

I wear Lycra if it’s too hot.
    But there again I am gorgeous.

Yak

Dakine 8 track (I think) – ok if you have knee / leg armour and too baggy without. They caught my bars once and threw me off.
    Also a pair of dhb somethings as recommended on the ‘slim baggies’ thread. Ok I suppose, but the flapping is distracting and anything with a waistband is annoying when I usually just wear bibs.

What’s really slim cut and doesn’t flap then? No pads worn under?

km79
    Free Member

I do own a pair of baggies, but they are mostly a nuisance – flapping around and catching on things.

There’s baggies and then there’s baggies!

tomaso
    Free Member

I just had to sew up a pair of 7 year old Endurance Zyme shorts. Good as new now.
    I got some of these on holiday and they were very comfy and made of ripstop type material. decathlon linky

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Fantasy island RRP’s used to make you think the correct unit price is a bargain. A well worn retail trick still employed to this day.

Anyone for £40-50 pound nylon jersey…….. it’s got branding on it come on.

How about a £60-70 MTB tyre.

yacoby
    Free Member

I don’t get the need for pockets – I carry stuff in a Camelbak or jersey pockets.

Phone + Liftpass + Card + (maybe) trail map? Then again I hate riding with things on my back and if I can I avoid it.

The only shorts I have had that have lasted more than a year of riding are cheap 20GBP TLD moto shorts from China. Everything else just dies 🙁

sputnik
    Free Member

All the Lycra haters have something in common,apart from hating Lycra 😉

Northwind

Yak – Member

They caught my bars once and threw me off.

But… how?

user-removed
    Free Member

Feel how they grab your body without hurting you

WTAF?!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

aAnyone for £40-50 pound nylon jersey…….. it’s got branding on it come on.
    How about a £60-70 MTB tyre.

Smaller production runs, different materials, higher distribution costs to smaller retailers? Higher aspirational value? Of the tops in my wardrobe these days it’s the Rapha and morvelo I’m reaching for, much nicer feel and cut. For stuff that will probably end up being 10-20p an outing I’m happy. On top of that some nice designs go a long way.

PrinceJohn

Question should not be why are baggies so expensive, but why do people pay silly mony for baggy shorts?! Don’t think I’ve ever paid RRP on a pair of shorts, most expensive around £50.
    But, jeez, what sort of mug would you have to be to click “BUY!” on something like this:
    https://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/sweet-protection-mudride-short-scorch-red/13686

“Oh, but they’re really nice quality an that..” Pillock!

They are really nice – wore a pair practically every ride last winter. Only paid £80 for them tho.

Yak

But… how?

Ahem, hopping up a kerb into a tight turn, shorts caught on the turn I think, ahem.
    Gashed my leg, blood everywhere. My kids were waiting for me at the trail and weren’t impressed. 😳

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

All the Lycra haters have something in common,apart from hating Lycra

What’s that, not looking ridiculous?

In answer to the original question, I don’t think for the most part they are expensive for the most part. Obviously the £120 exception earlier is the exception – but just wait for the sales. I have some TL Skylines which are about as understated as it gets & they were about £30 a pair – same with some Intrepid shorts.

On the turbo, if I just chuck on some normal sports shorts I end up looking like i’m wearing hot pants – the cut is completely wrong.

£30 for shorts that last years is hardly the high roller lifestyle 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Why are baggy cycle shorts so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.